sneak peek: diva of linea carta

by

diva1
since living in paris, i have a whole new appreciation for what it means to live in small spaces. when i first saw the images from diva‘s berkeley bungalow, i had no idea that it was small at all until i looked at the floor plan (last image in the post). i think she does an amazing job using the space and takes advantage of the great natural light and tops it off with great furniture selection. it’s definitely an inspired space, and no wonder diva creates such wonderful designs in her stationery and linen line, linea carta. click here for many more images of diva’s bungalow, and here for all our sneak peeks! {thanks, diva!} -anne

{majority of images by marc virata with contributions from bronwyn hughes.}

diva2
I use this flat file (also a flea market find) to store bigger stuff like paintings and art paper. On top is a Japanese ‘zacca’ or craft magazine – I’m so crazy about them. When I want to treat myself one of my favorite afternoons is to go to Japan Town in San Francisco, have lunch at the best ramen place ever, then to the bookstore and stationery store where I’ll buy a few pens (my fave is the pilot hi-tec-c) and a new magazine from Kinokuniya Bookstore. On the wall behind is one of my paintings: Polar Bears Kissing, Ice Crystals Forming (It reads “I LOVE YOU SO MUCH”). I like using the semi-transparent mylar (used for architectural plans) for paintings because it lets in the light from the wall and sort of becomes part of the wall like a fresco. You can also see a glimpse of the hallway in this picture – I have strings of tiny clothespins hanging that I use to dry screen-printing projects like my key chains and pencil bags.

diva3
At the entry I have 2 hooks that read H and N for Henry and Nico, my two cutest-dogs-ever. The chair pictured here is an Alameda antique market find by a friend – I just love the shape (it reads “Heritage Henredon” for anyone who knows about this stuff).

diva4
My bedding is from Erica Tanov, John Robshaw and yours truly (some Linea Carta throw pillows).. I used to work for Erica and developed a great appreciation for lovely bedding and beautiful textiles. I recently re-painted a fresh coat of bright white on all the walls and I love the clean and empty wall here above the bed.

CLICK HERE for the rest of Diva’s sneak peek after the jump!

diva5
diva6

diva7a
The coolest thing about the bathroom are the tiny green and white checkered tiles on the floor. Also that there’s a bathtub (another favorite past-time of mine!).

diva7b

diva8
A small kitchen. But with all of the essentials. I don’t know much about the chairs and table – got them from family (the chairs read “Thonet New York”). I put in the shelves (from Ikea) above the table when I moved in – they are that shiny foil finish and they really brighten up the space. Oh and the dish towels are part of my new collection of linens. The back door is usually open for the dogs to sunbathe and the pretty trees and plants are all thanks to my garden designer neighbor Elizabeth.

diva9

diva10

diva11
With a passion for design I love to collect cool stuff and though my desk is clear here I’m usually working on multiple projects and boy does it fill up fast! So with such a small space I try to have a place for most things. I put inspiration and samples I’m working on up on the 4’x3’ cork board above my desk. Cork boards are so great the way they neatly frame an ever changing chaos of pieces and scraps. Under and to the side of my desk is where I keep files organized (also flea market finds).

diva12
My absolute favorite organizing tool is also the most expensive: the Utensilo wall organizer. It’s a replica of a 1960s piece and even after 5 years I love it and use it every day. Ah, to always know where the scissors are – an artists dream!

diva13

diva14
I live in a pretty teeny tri-plex that I rent here in Berkeley, California. It is a 1920s bungalow that has long since been renovated into smaller units. There are 3 rooms (including kitchen and bathroom) separated by a hallway. There’s also a back yard that I share with my neighbors. Here is a floor plan.

1. Nicolette says:

My name is Nicolette (Nico is a nickname I’ve been given) and my husbands name is Henry. NICO and HENRY her dogs!!! Too cute!!!

2. Megan says:

That cute pup on the bed made me think……WHERE can you find cute dog beds?? Anyone?

3. diva pyari says:

sooo, the bag by the entrance is by Addison House (sorry, can’t find them online but i think they’re local to the area – got it at erica tanov store a couple years ago). the chandelier is completely functional :) and has a dimmer for lovely lighting at mealtime.. this ceiling was a bit low to hang it and so its placed as seen off to the side of the table. the bedding is from erica tanov (www.ericatanov.com/store/), john robshaw (www.johnrobshaw.com/shop.htm), kerry cassill (www.kerrycassill.com) and linea carta (www.linea-carta.com/linens.php). and i’d heard everyone has a twin out there somewhere — hi to the other nico & henry! xox diva

4. diva pyari says:

and George (www.georgesf.com) has pretty cute dog beds! i like the oxford stripe :)

5. Rachel Bancroft says:

love your bed. I’m looking for something similar. Where did you find it?

6. Love this so much….I am such a fan of Diva’s work and adore the giant piece next to the foyer. I would love to have that in my home….sigh. So many lovely and simple touches. Brilliant use of space and gorgeous outdoor space too. Thanks for sharing this!
    xo
    Melissa

7. Rebeca says:

I love this house! Can we know more about the little vignettes in the last photo? They’re darling!

8. diva pyari says:

bed is from ikea :} the little friends at my computer keep me smiling through hours of work.. the two wooden owls were brought back from a trip to japan, the flocked fox (made in germany) was found at castle in the air in berkeley.. the little ceramic mushrooms – i think its called a fevre – is a prize traditionally (in france) baked into cakes for one lucky guest to find and keep. and some mini stickers from a photo booth in japan town of me and my beau. the other photo shows a cube of my bookshelf with a vintage book from my time living in italy, some playing cards with horses i picked up at a thrift store in washington state, and my viles of gouache that i’ve custom mixed for calligraphy jobs of all sorts. i found the viles at the alameda antique market – perfect to dip a pen into – and my helpful dad made the wooden stand for them so i wouldn’t make a mess (though i still do). i also have a couple more photos not pictured here on my blog!

9. Devi says:

Diva has always been blessed with an eye for design … inspiring twists of beauty, light and peace.
    Everything she does, from her writing in journals, to cooking and serving meals, has this perfect aesthetic with beautful touches, music, poetry, Italian bus ticket, the perfect tea cup, mystical lighting … throughout.
    It’s fun for me to see others enjoy a glimpse into her world. (mom)

10. diva pyari says:

thanks mom. i’m so embarassed :|

11. Naomi says:

I think your house is beautiful, but I have 1 question… Where did you find your wall organizer from I have been hunting for one of ages!I tried Ebay but they don’t seem to have one any other places worth looking?

12. diva pyari says:

it is called the uten.silo by vitro, and i got mine from zinc details. here it is on their website:

13. Dana Chen says:

Love the drawn floor plan!

14. Shaye says:

Diva, up to this point I have resisted being in front of a computer long enough to participate in a blog by writing a response to one, but being so far from home, I had the urge to look at this post once again from design sponge and can not resist adding to your embarrassment by seconding what mom said! Ever sense I can remember your love for design gave the most simple things you styled, made, and touched, soul. And you and mom have truly been my greatest inspirations and teachers. Love you sister!!