Nicholas Jones – Flinders Lane

(Image above by Nicholas Jones)

Today I would like to introduce one of my absolute favourite local artists – I first discovered Nicholas Jones when I interviewed him for my site last year and have since become a huge fan of his work. His incredible book sculptures must be seen to be believed – truly stunning. Nick is actually traveling to the US very soon to give a series of lectures and workshops at the Pratt Fine Arts Centre in Seattle! Click here for more info.

Nick’s fantastic light-filled studio is in Melbourne’s Central Business District, in Carlow House – one of Melbourne’s famous art deco buildings, which is rented out primarily to local artists. Carlow House is on Flinders Lane – one of Melbourne’s much-loved laneways, well known for its tiny eclectic shops, cramped and quirky cafes, bustling atmosphere and world-class grafitti! Flinders Lane and the neighbouring Centreway Arcade are a must-see spot for any Melbourne visitor!

I couldn’t bring myself to type out Nick’s lovingly hand-written list… so please find the relevant links below the image!

CLICK HERE for Nicholas Jones’ favorite Flinders Lane spots after the jump!

Polyester Records

Block Projects

Basement Books

Thanks so much to Nick for sharing his favourite laneway finds! If you’re in Seattle do try and attend a lecture or workshop with Nick at the Pratt Fine Arts Centre in November! I promise you won’t be disappointed! He is outrageously entertaining, he has the fashion sense of a 1920’s dapper English gentleman, and a moustache like Salvador Dali!

1. Laura says:

I stayed in Melbourne, right next to flinders! really cool alleys with great people-watching. it was a treasure hunt for sure!

2. The book sculptures are really beautiful! sculptural poetry!

3. Kristina says:

Loved Melbourne! Miss it so much! Really enjoyed flinders lane, great brunch! Amazing book sculptures!

4. The sculptures are genius. Would look eye-catching as bookends in a home library.

5. Juliana Orange says:

YEY!! Thanks for the heads up! I’ll definitely be at his Pratt lecture. I first heard of NJ on your blog (The Design Files). At work, I have a photo of his messy desk as my computer desktop- cause it’s a gorgeous contrast to my tidiness!

6. Miriam says:

Hi Lucy! Great post as always :) LOVE his work, will def check out Flinders Lane nxt time, missed that on last trip, maybe because it was 41 degrees!

7. Lucy says:

Hey thanks so much for your lovely comments! Lovely to see so much enthusiam for Melbourne and for Nick’s work!

Great to hear you’ll visit his Pratt lecture Juliana! And nice to know you also have his photo on your desktop! If you want a bigger version of that photo (so it’s not pixelated) I will email you one! Let me know :)

8. jess says: