made with love: wallpapered cabinet doors

by

amycabinet
This past week I tried my hand at wallpapering a room for the first time and let’s just say it’s a lot like wrapping up a big, slimy Christmas present but with higher stakes. I only had one single roll of 1940s wallpaper (purchased from this amazing store) so I had to be extra careful to ensure I’d have enough to cover the whole room. If you’re not ready to take the plunge and paper a room, a great alternative is to paper your kitchen or bathroom cabinet doors. Less mess, less money, less time! Also- if you landlord is a stickler for rules, this project could easily be done on mountable pieces of thick cardstock and attached with removable adhesive strips. –amy m.

CLICK HERE for the full project after the jump!

What you’ll need:

– paper (I used wallpaper, but you can use pages from a book, gift wrap, etc…)

– paint

– wallpaper paste

– paint brush

– L square ruler

– scissors or x-acto knife

Remove cabinet door and hardware. Paint molding of door and let dry.

photo 2

After roughly measuring to make sure your paper is a few inches longer and wider that your cabinet door, spread a thin layer of wallpaper paste to the wrong side of your paper. Gently fold in half, pasted sides together, making sure not to crease the fold. This is referred to as booking wallpaper, it allows the paste to absorb while you get ready to trim your paper.

photo 3

Take an L square ruler and square off a perpendicular line along the lengthwise edge of your paper. Measure out from the line the width of your cabinet and mark. Repeat process from the fold, measuring ½ of the final length of the cabinet.

photo 4

Carefully trim all marked lines using scissors or an x-acto knife and ruler. I used scissors as my vintage paper was very delicate and ripped when using a knife.

photo 5

Gently peel apart your paper and center it on the cabinet door, matching the top two corners. Press down the paper starting from the middle and work your way out, smoothing out air pockets as you go. Re-attach hardware and hang.

photo 6

1. staci dover says:

I am in the middle of doing the exact process on my bathroom walls. I found some old maps that I wanted to cover like wallpaper. I had decided to do this with Mod Podge. But, after 3 tries I am at a loss. The paper stretches as it gets wet and will not go on smoothly, no matter what flattening tool is used.. Would you recommend trying wallpaper paste on regular paper? Any help will be appreciated..

2. I love it! What a great post, Amy!

-maria

3. Casey says:

I used wallpaper on a piece of furniture, but had trouble getting it to stick with the wallpaper paste. We had to put mod podge on top to keep the edges down! The project: wallpapered hoosier

4. Freck says:

Great idea about using adhesive strips and cardstock!!

5. Misty says:

what a neat idea!! I’m gunna do this for my cabinets; since i live in an apartment i’m going to use the cardstock/adhesive idea! Thanks!!

6. Becky says:

Staci,
    Try spraying your maps with a sealer first. It will keep the paper from absorbing the paste.

7. amy m. says:

I would try using clear wallpaper paste instead. I rarely get modge podge to behave properly. Too shiny and hard.

8. Christine says:

If it’s a hard-to-stick surface, try sizing first. Wallpaper sizing (such as Sheildz) helps make installation easier. Clear, heavy-duty paste should work for most applications, but sometimes applying a coat of it to the wall and letting it dry, then installing the paper, can give extra adhesion.

9. Sandra says:

Staci, if you put the glue on the paper before cutting it to the exact size, it will absorb the moisture from the paper and expand before you cut it. Then, you will be cutting the expanded paper, and it shouldn’t be a problem. Another way would be to use a spray bottle with water to mist the paper a little bit if you don’t want to cut the paper that is covered in glue. The third way, and the most time consuming would be to stretch paper like watercolor paper (just look up how to on google) and then cut your sheet from the stretched paper. Also, I find the best tool to smooth out paper I’m gluing down is an old credit card. Good luck.

10. artwigs says:

In response to staci dover-staci I make wallpaper and in order to stop it stretching and warping when you paste it on the wall-if you first make the paper wet and then dry it when you the make it wet again (by pasting it on the walls) it will not warp.

11. jack says: