living in: edward scissorhands

by

still 1
roundup1
As Halloween inches closer, I can’t get Edward Scissorhands off my mind. It’s one of those movies that bewitched me as a kid and still makes me turn to mush. Hands down- the most gentle, imaginative and magical movie ever. I can’t even form proper sentences to describe how wonderful it is. Not like I have to, though. You already know.

[image above, clockwise from top left: doma biker jacket $630,keychain $12, oliver table lamp $895, mannequin hand $21 each, zinc industrial table $2200, riveter’s stool $185, circle bracket $12, cookie cutters $6, birdcage $86]

still 2
still 3
roundup2
The world that genius director Tim Burton creates in Edward Scissorhands is split right down the middle, with both sides as surreal as the other. Edward’s abandoned industrial mansion is as dark and creepy as can be while the neighboring suburbia is a dizzying grid of cookie cutter homes painted in colors Burton described as “sea-foam green, dirty flesh, butter and dirty blue”. Not exactly homey. But beyond the ick factor, Burton injects tenderness and humanity into not only his characters but their environments as well. Having a young Johnny Depp around doesn’t hurt things, either. -amy m.

[image above, clockwise from top left: coal flower lamp $88, calligraphy bed $2498, velvet pouf $32, boxwood topiary $210, moss bunny $9, vintage hedge shears $195, restored telephone $198, pink lipstick $16, Minnie stool $229]

1. Wow, I haven’t seen this movie and years and these photos reminded me how much I love it… and both creepy worlds. Adding it to the Netflix queue as I type. Thanks for an awesome post.

2. DiXX says:

OMG! 1 my many fav movie. use to watched it almost everyday for a month to see Wynona Ryder. :D

3. tidknax says:

Oh I luurrve this movie! Thank you for the fond memories!!

4. lindsay says:

I dig that Oliver lamp and the bed. Very unusual.

5. CuriousGirl says:

Great post! Did you know that some of the TV networks are “premeiring” the movie over the next couple of weeks?

6. Nicole says:

This is a great new section Amy!!! I have a request: The Royal Tenenbaums. The colors and details are so cool in that film, think about it…

7. the link for the bed is broken.

8. Kate says:

Love this! Can you do a ‘Living in the Incredibles’? I just love all the mid century modern furniture in it! Here’s a link I found featuring the set design:

9. Lisa says:

Someone really needs to bring back Winona Ryder… and me thinks Tim Burton seems to be the right man!
    Oh I second Kate’s wish list of the Incredibles!

10. Sara says:

I adore this post. I can’t wait for the Tim Burton exhibit at MOMA in NY. This made my morning!