in the kitchen with: aran goyoaga

aran1
Aran‘s dessert featured in July was so inviting, I couldn’t fight my curiosity to know what type of savory dish she might cook up. I was so so pleased with the result. Having just returned from Dublin, where I had lots of smoked salmon, this dish will definitely be served soon in my home. We’re being spoiled this week, because Aran‘s wonderful tart is also accompanied by a great autumn soup of butternut squash and orange cauliflower (I never even knew Orange Cauliflower existed!). Don’t miss Aran‘s tabletop picks later today! –Kristina

aran2

CLICK HERE for the full recipe after the jump!

arangoyoagaportrait2009_01
About Aran: Originally from the Basque Country, Aran Goyoaga has been living in the US for 10 years, where she works as a freelance pastry chef, food stylist, photographer and writer. She comes from a large family of pastry chefs, but she did not get started in pastry until she left her parents home. She studied business and economics, but left that field to pursue a career in baking and food styling. She is the mother of a 3-year-old boy and is dedicated to her freelancing business.

Why I Chose This Recipe : When fall comes I cook and eat mostly soups and stews and they become part of my daily repertoire. I always like to accompany soups with a slice of cheese on toast or a tartine. It makes a full meal and becomes more exciting.

I recently planted a whole bunch of new herbs and wanted to introduce them in this recipe. I always complain about tart crusts being boring and the addition of herbs adds a lot of flavor. Leeks and salmon together are also one of my favorite combinations and this idea came from a pasta dish I make often with leeks, zucchini, smoked salmon and goat cheese. -Hope you enjoy it!

arangoyoaga_babybroccoli
Leek, Baby Broccoli, Smoked Salmon and Goat Cheese Tart

Herb Pie Crust
(Makes 1 large square tart and 18 2”x2” crackers)

2 ½ cups flour

1 ½ tsp salt

2 tsp fresh thyme

2 tsp fresh rosemary

½ tsp black pepper

8 oz butter, cut into cubes and chilled

½ cup ice water

Place the flour, salt, black pepper, thyme and rosemary in the bowl of a food processor. Pulse it three times to incorporated and aerate all ingredients.

Add the cold butter into the food processor. Pulse it about 8-10 times until crumbly.

Add the ice water all at once while pulsing until dough starts to come together.

Dump the dough onto a work surface and form it into a square that is about 1 inch thick. Do not knead it or overwork it. Wrap it in plastic wrap and chill it for 2 hours.

Roll the dough on a cold surface (preferably marble) to about 1/8” thick. Fill the square mold with the dough. Press sides gently and remove excess dough. Dock the bottom of the tart. Cover it with plastic wrap and it rest in the refrigerator for another hour.

Gather the dough scraps and form them into a ball. Try not to knead it, just press the scraps together. Roll that ball to ¼” thickness and using a cookie cutter, cut squares. These will be the crackers. Transfer the squares to a sheet pan lined with parchment and refrigerate for 30 minutes before baking.

Dock the crackers with a fork, sprinkle them with black pepper and grated parmesan cheese and bake at 375 for about 15 minutes.

Leek, Baby Broccoli, Smoked Salmon and Goat Cheese Filling

2 Tbs olive oil

1 medium leek, washed, quartered and diced

1 head of baby broccoli, washed, stems removed and rough chopped

4 oz smoked salmon, medium diced

1 oz goat cheese, crumbled

1 tsp salt

1 tsp black pepper

2 tsp fresh thyme

3 eggs

1 cup whole milk

½ cup cream

In a medium pan, sauté the leeks in the olive oil until soft. Add the baby broccoli and sauté for 2 minutes. Remove the pan from the heat and let it cool.

In the meantime, whisk the eggs, cream, milk, fresh thyme, salt and black pepper.

Place the tart mold on a baking sheet. Spread the cooled sautéed vegetables over the tart crust. Spread the smoked salmon and goat cheese evenly throughout. Pour the custard on top.

Bake at 425F for 15 minutes, then reduce to 375F and bake for about another 25 minutes until top is golden brown and it has puffed and the bottom of the crust is cooked.

arangoyoaga_tart2

2 cups water

2 tsp salt

1 tsp black pepper

toasted pumpkin seeds

purple basil oil, optional

parmesan and herb crackers

In a large stock pot, sauté the leek, garlic and carrots with the olive oil for about 5 minutes. Add the cauliflower and butternut squash and sauté for a couple of minutes. Add the stock, water and salt and pepper and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium low, cover and cook for about 25 minutes until tender.

Puree the soup with a blender. Taste and add more salt and pepper if needed.

Serve with a drizzle of purple basil oil, toasted pumpkin seeds and micro greens. Accompany the soup with the parmesan and herb crackers topped with some greens and goat cheese.

1. Nicole says:

the photography is gorgeous! can’t wait to try out that soup…

2. erin says:

a perfect meal for this weekend. will definitely be making both!

3. it all looks delicious and the photography is wonderful.

4. KimJoy says:

Oh my this sounds great! Wonder where I can find orange cauliflower?…

If you do not have all the time to make the dough, chill, and bake in one day will it hurt the process to leave the dough in the refrigerator longer than 2 hours? or 30 min for the crackers?

5. pinkbathtub says:

Wonderful! And gorgeous photographs! I’m now officially hungry:)

6. El says:

This is great. Thank you.

7. I love Aran’s site – always beautiful, inspirational.

8. tea_austen says:

Aran is so wonderfully talented—food, styling, photography (and incredibly nice too). She always blows me away.

9. Jeanee says:

All of this looks AMAZING! Lovely photos also. this calls for a Betty Crocker fall cooking weekend!

10. Syrup says:

So incredibly gorgeous and wonderful recipes too.

11. peapod says:

perfect fall recipe! i’ll have to give this one a shot when the parents are visiting for Canadian Thanksgiving this weekend! fabulous photography, as usual! :)

12. Claire says:

I’m a big fan of Aran’s work…so stylishly laid back!

13. Jeni Shirley says:

YUM! It looks so tasty!!

14. I love Aran’s site. It’s incredibly beautiful & inspirational as well. I am def trying that soup! It looks scrumptious (who knew orange cauliflower!)

15. jeannebee says:

Aran is an artist in everyway–food, images, and recipes. beautiful post!

16. Suzana says:

How gorgeous and perfect are those recipes! Very Aran-ish indeed. :)

17. Lisa Ridgely says:

These look both beautiful and delicious. Aran’s blog is among my favorites – the photography is fine art itself, and I always enjoy her writing as well. I’m continually inspired by her work.

18. Rachel says:

Aran’s portayal of food and her world is so filled with light and peace and calm….so much so that’s it wonderful to enjoy after a hard day, and think that her world is just naturally calm and peaceful. Of course it’s not! That’s a testament to her photography (and writing, and food styling). It brings you into the moment.

19. I am in awe, Aran! You have outdone even yourself this time! These photographs are exquisite. Your styling is so fresh and natural, so colorful and dainty, yet powerful- like a sensual rocket! I want a coffee table book that I can linger over on rainy afternoons.

20. fresh365 says:

Aran’s site is one of my favorites. Her photography keeps getting better (if that is even possible?)! Love the idea of featuring a savory dish.

21. Tia says:

Yum…I just made orange cauliflower soup (no squash) last week – so good.

22. Aran says:

Thank you everyone for taking the leave a comment. Such nice way to start the weekend. To answer some questions:

KimJoy- I don’t always find orange cauliflower at the market but when it’s available I get it. You can most certainly use any cauliflower you like and the result will be the same.

You can keep the dough in the fridge as long as 2 days or even freeze it for up to 2 months.

Tea- you are always so kind and warm hearted..

Peapod- happy canadian thanksgiving!

Rachel- I always find it interesting when people tell me that because inside, I feel like my life is a whirlwind and my brain is always spinning. Maybe because I am so aware of this, I try to not exude that anxious energy I always feel, but believe me, calm, I’m not! :) But thank you very much!

Kim- One day when I have a bit more time I’d love to do that!

Thank you everyone once again and have a great weekend!

23. nadia says:

designers should make a collection with her colors, layers and textures!!

24. robin says:

this looks amazing…. thank you for sharing the recipes!

25. Katie says:

This looks wonderful. I am now inspired to cook this weekend.
    Is there a replacement for the salmon?
    I am terribly allergic to it.

26. Judith says:

I want to jump into the photos and eat it all up!

27. Your photos are beautiful. This recipe look fabulous, I will try this sometime soon.

Thanks

28. Aran says:

Nadia- you are always my biggest fan. Thank you so much my dear friend.

Katie- you can make it completely vegetarian if you’d like or add another smoked fish. I really like the touch of smokiness that the salmon adds so you could basically add anything that has a smokey flavor.

Thank you everyone for all your comments and I hope you get to try the recipes!

29. kristina says:

Hi Katie, I think the beauty of tarts is that you can put in them whatever tastes good to you! Here’s another tart recipe from the column which may inspire a different combination for you?

Alternatively, there are some great books here and here that cover tarts for any future cravings you may have.

30. What gorgeous photos! I can’t wait to try the recipe.

31. tiina says:

I’m so inspired by everything Aran makes. The photographs are perfection♥

32. deeba says:

Everything Aran does is purely inspirational. Shje makes food sing. Beautiful styling & ever so pleasing to the senses. I love it that you asked her to go savoury for this post! Beautiful!

33. Cindi says:

Wonderfully Autumn

The colors, ingredients and textures look and feel like warm comfort food, perfectly fitting for our fall weather.

Thank you for sharing, and I am curious what is the recipe for the tart crust? Is it same as the crackers!!

34. Aran says:

Kristina- great picks! Thank you!

Deena- you are always so kind…

Cindi- yes, the crackers are made with leftover pie dough. You can even cut them and freeze them raw for up to 1 month. Then you can bake them and serve them fresh whenever you want.

Thank you everyone for taking the time to comment!

35. Anis says:

Aran as usual your recipes are winners , I made the crackers and the soup and both were delicious! many thanks for this sharing

36. just divine. aran, those flavor profiles are so unique and wonderful. you are amazing !
    and the photos and styling, just perfect.

37. Jen says:

The tart has made me walk to the shops and buy all the ingredients within moments of seeing it! Superb.
    I was wondering if I could add some dill? I love salmon with dill, but is it too much with the thyme? Would I need to leave out the thyme? I’m in Australia, so I hope to hear from you before I make it tonight! Otherwise I’ll just take the plunge solo! x

38. This looks so delicious, espicially the goat cheese fits very well. I can’t wait to try this out next weekend.

Cheers from Germay, edelweissgold28

39. Miss B. says:

These photo’s are amazing and I can’t wait to try this recipe out!

40. Aran says:

Karen- means the world to me!

Jen- sorry I didn’t respond sooner! Hope you made the tart and hat it turned out. Dill would have been nice too!

Thank you all!

41. Jen says:

Aran it was delicious!! I added the dill and it worked perfectly…infact I just had leftovers for lunch, even better the next day! Thank you for sharing your recipes

42. Aran says:

Jen- That makes me so, so happy!! Thank you for coming back to share that.

43. JenMN says:

Gorgeous- cannot wait to make this! Source question: who makes the adorable napkins/fabric seen in the photos?

44. Eres la mejor!!! Aran is the best!

45. love the broccoli images.
    everything here speaks of a dream meal in a dream garden!

46. Just wanted to leave a comment here. This was one of the best tarts I have made. My entire family and guests raved over it. The herbs added to the crust are such a good flavor. The combination of smoky salmon, goat cheese, and sauteed leeks is just…superb!!

47. Jac says:

The Basque Country… The Spanish or the French one?

48. All of these recipes look delicious! I tried making the soup last week and loved it, especially the vibrant orange color. I shared the recipe on my blog, with a link back to this post, on my most recent meal plan, thank you!