entre lineas + kat macleod’s north carlton

good morning! today i’m kicking things off with these beautiful handmade paper lights from margarita and ludwig at mn*ls. this one-off collection was created from handfolded antique books and was shown at a small gallery and then used in a japanese restaurant as decoration. i love the under of working in a home office lit by folded book paper lamps. so stunning. click here for more information on mn*ls and their work.

over at the d*s guest blog, lucy is introducing us to artist kat macleod’s and her favorite spots in melbourne’s north carlton area- click here for the full post!

1. Shanna says:

swoooooning! so beautiful!

2. hrhkat says:

I want to make my own, but I have this terrible feeling I would get half way through and never finish it. I am also guessing it looks much harder then I think it is…
    and these actually light up? how is that even possible?
    they are really beautiful though.

3. Shandell's says:

Fascinated by the art of paper folding, these are great.

4. MN*LS says:

all fotos taken by alberto minio paluello,
    grazie alberto

5. Asma says:

Wow these are magnificent – love the idea!

6. Pam says:

These remind me of the Christmas trees that we made out of old Readers’ Digests in Brownie Scouts!

7. amazing… would be great in a library room!

8. Sophia Mar says:

Absolutely gorgeous!

9. oooh, gorgeous! Such beautiful textures – a few years ago I used colored envelopes to make a window display in the stationery boutique I owned – flaps out! It was a huge hit. Oh I miss creating window displays – maybe I can just decorate a wall in my office now to get my paper fix.

10. nichole says:

LOVE! I would love one of these!

11. Hannah says:

wow. I’m not sure why masses of paper make me swoon, but these are just amazing.

12. I absolutely love these! Must find a way to recreate them….

13. Carmella says:

My goodness, how strange is it that I just started (and blogged about) giving these wonderful book sculptures a try! Love these as lights!

14. Great idea and lovely photos!!!

15. Mimi says:

I love the subtle texture of the display! Creams + black with antique typewriter, so stunning.

16. Kristen says:

I got this idea from a shop in Chicago called Haystack which had a bunch of them on display, they had gotten the idea from Anthropologie, is this where is originated?

Either way, I made a bunch of these for my wedding, they were really easy and a lot of fun! Each one only took me a little over an hour. Just break the cover off and start folding 1 or 2 pages at a time in any pattern you like!

17. Kristen says:

Also, do these actually light up? After making them I don’t think its possible, they are very dense and there is really no place to put a light bulb.

18. Ysa says:

cool way of designing paper lamp ~ creative and enviromental !!

19. Beautiful lamps. I like how the text gives the idea of stripes

20. sarah Maddox says:

kristen do you have any tips on how to make these? Or does anyone else? I love them!

21. Love these. I have done a lot of book folding and always enjoy seeing how others do it too. such an innovative idea!

22. Arja says:

Beautiful, they look so natural and effortless.

23. Jess says:

where did you get the white table?

24. Nifunifa83 says:

Where might one purchase these fabulous lights?

25. Minerva T. King says:

Please send info. Any danger of a fire from the light bulbs? Sorry, had to ask!

26. Oliver says:

Thanks for your advice Kristen, just fold pages and indeed you get a very nice object, but a dark one. Even small high-power leds that could feet in the center won’t make your lamp-book shine. It’s really too dense. I think the trick is to cut inside the book in order to accommodate a light bulb, as seems to show a photo entitled “MN*LS@skill to do, comes from doing / spazio xyz, treviso / 12/12/09-10/01/10” on the site of MN*LS site. I’ll try this soon…