diy project: kate’s monogram wreath

i love fall wreaths, but as i was looking around at all the varieties i realized that they mostly come as circles (duh kate, that’s the definition of a wreath). not that i don’t love circular wreaths, but who says you can’t mix it up a little? while this project may not fit the literal definition of a “wreath,” it is certainly inspired by them and expands the possibilities. i made the letter “K” for my name, but i could see doing a small “hi,” or maybe even your address numbers. this would also make a very personalized, thoughtful housewarming gift, and it only takes a little bit more time than making a plain old circle. have fun! –kate

CLICK HERE for the full project after the jump!

1. vine garland (this is grape vine twisted into a coiled garland, which you can find at craft or floral supply stores. it come in 12′ -15′ lengths, which is more than enough for one wreath.)
2. bailing wire (or floral wire, but bailing wire is cheaper – you can get it at the hardware store)
3. wire cutters
4. scissors (thick, good for pruning)
5. leaves, flowers, etc. for wreath
6. fine gauge floral wire (match color with your foliage)

1. draw out your design. measure your desired hanging spot on the door or wall to get a rough idea of what size you need.

2. unwrap your vine garland and begin to wrap the bailing wire around it, wrapping it around until you reach the end of the garland (or how much of the garland you think you will need). cut the bailing wire with the wire cutters and twist it around the end of the garland to clamp it.

3. now your vine garland can be manipulated much more easily with the wire to give it structure. start to bend it in to the shape you wish, cutting in places where you need to and add more wire if the garland is poking out.

4. use pieces of bailing wire to twist around loops, overlaps, or connections in you design to keep them secure. keep bending the garland int shape until you are happy. i suggest holding this shape up where you plan to hang it to see if it is the right size, noting that it will get fuller by a few inches when you add the greens/leaves.

5. now start snipping 6 – 8″ lengths of the fine gauge wire. you need a lot of these to create little bunches of your greens which will be secured to the garland shape.

6. use your scissors or pruning shears to cut pieces of your greens and make small bundles. secure these bundles at the base with by twisting a fine gauge wire piece around each one, leaving several inches of extra wire for looping around your wreath shape.

7. when you have a bunch of these prepared, decide which direction you want the bundles pointing and start adding them onto the wreath, looping the wire around to the back and twisting them shut. you only need to put greens on the front and sides of the shape.

8. continue adding until all of the vine garland is covered. if you have to take your multiple pieces apart to access them, you can easily rewire them back together at the end.

9. cover any exposed wire with snips of greens or leaves.

10. hold the shape up and decide on a good spot to add a loop (or two) for hanging. flip the shape over and thread fine gauge wire through the garland an twist to create hanging loops. now your shape is ready to hang!!

1. Candelyn says:

Too Cute!!! I LOVE this, as I am always trying to do something different than the “standard” wreath! Thanks!

2. C.Alicia says:

This is fantastically charming! Love, love, LOVE it!

3. I love the idea of a monogram!

4. MrsLimestone says:

Love it!

What kind of leaves did you use and where did you find them?

5. Miss Jess says:

This is an amazing idea – thanks for the awesome how-to Kate!

6. Kate – this is absolutely beautiful! I’m partial to wreaths and I LOVE your artistic twist. Thanks for the inspiration. Cheers, Mandy

7. Megan says:

Cute! I like the “hi” idea. If you use fresh foliage, how long can you expect this to last?

8. Jennifer says:

I saw a similar project to this on one of those HGTV Christmas spectacular shows a few years ago….so I love seeing it pop up again, with easy instructions…definitely bookmarking this for future use!

9. Abby says:

Adorable! My mother actually just made those for a wedding. She made the bride and groom’s initials for the church door…will look amazing. Great project!

10. Voila says:

Oh, I wish I wasn’t put on “monogram suspension” by the husband, this idea is perfect!

11. steph anne says:

This is a fabulous idea!!

12. Sarah Shaw says:

So pretty! Clever! Love it!

13. Roxanne says:

Voila, really? Monogram suspension? That’s just wrong.

I love this little project. Perfect for the drab door on our rental.

14. Jennifer says:

Wow! This is such an awesome idea! I’d love to do a “B” for the holidays!!!

15. Nadia P says:

I definitely want to make a “hi”!

16. I love this idea. I’m gonna do the same with a E et and a G on my front door. Thanks !

17. Sandra says:

What are the best types of foliage to use…and types you can use all year.

18. Bonnie says:

Great idea!

Wish my last name started with something more flamboyant like B or H or J or R . Mine starts with “O” ha ha ha

19. Amy says:

I was curious as well as to where you got the leaves and the pine cones for this project?

20. Stacey says:

So elegant and fun!!

21. Jessica says:

Eeeeee! Its so quirky and adorable :) number 153 on my to-do list . .

22. Kristen says:

I’m not really a wreath person, especially fake ones. But this done up with seasonal greenery is fabulous. Thanks for the idea!

23. sarah says:

I quite simply love that!! Nice project!

24. Alexiis says:

I really like this! Very sophisticated yet it looks like its do-able! I am always looking for a wreath during the fall->winter time before formal Christmas and this is just perfect!

25. dadada says:

Love it! I can’t wait to try.

26. Faith says:

This is very cute but I’m with several other commenters who are confused about the greens to use. I’ve made fresh wreaths before and they die so quickly. How do I preserve the foliage for a longer shelf life?

1. grace says:

hi faith

you have a few options:

1. To preserve color, hang the wreath away from bright light and heat.
      2. To preserve long-term, cover the vine with a varnish from your craft store
      3. Consider using silk or plastic vines- they’re cheaper and will last forever. Obviously they won’t have the same fresh feel but they may be a more practical solution if your wreath will be in a hot, dry area.

27. Laura says:

Love the idea! I did two of these last year for my wedding… one with my initial, and one for my husband. We put them on the door to the church when people walked in!

28. Lisa Alford says:

This is adorable, but I want to make this for an apartment dweller. How can I make it look nice with fake leaves or garland? Can it be done with Christmas balls?