diy project: erica’s faux porcelain project

this clever faux-pottery project comes from diy queen erica domesek of p.s. i made this. inspired by mid century porcelain from west germany, erica decided to create the look of white porcelain using bottles, cans, spray paint and an elementary school flashback- puffy paint. this is a seriously fun- and simple- project that anyone could tackle on a rainy (or snowy) afternoon. thanks so much to erica for sharing- click here to check out more projects on her site.

CLICK HERE for the full project after the jump!

materials:

-matte spray paint
-puffy paint
-bottles and cans

steps:

1. using your puffy paint, paint on your desired pattern. you can create shapes or stick with a simple line and dot pattern.

2. once your puffy paint has dried, spray paint over your entire can or bottle. let dry and repeat if necessary until you have a smooth, solid coat. let dry and you’re ready to fill with flowers or display them around your home.

1. Jen says:

I’m ready to make one for my study room! :)

anu: matte spray paint is also known as flat paint. There are gloss, satin, and flat paint. So, flat is what you are looking for. You can find them at Lowe’s for about $3 to 4. Michael’s have them more expensive. I will recommend buying a primer also, because i heard the color sticks to the object longer. :) ENJOY!

2. Jen says:

HeyNowHadley: THANKS! Your comment just answered a question I’ve been wanting to ask. :)

3. Jen says:

And I assume the color of the puffy paint does not matter since the spray paint should cover it?

1. grace says:

yep! it will be covered by whatever you spray paint on top :)

g

4. wow! I love this idea! I think its so great! it is good for practicality and budget… I can see this working well for merchandisers (store designers etc. where people arent too “up close” with the objects. Smart!

5. Shevon says:

I LOVE THIS!!!! A new project for this weekend.

Thanks!

6. WOW! I’m just now reading all of these amazing comments months later from Grace’s post on my project. Im SO THRILLED everyone loved it. I hope everyones came out fanstastic!!! xx

7. Lindsey J says:

I love the look of milk glass, but have always wanted to see it in different colors. I did this over the weekend with a bright blue gloss paint and it looks awesome. great idea!

8. Zdenka says:

Very beautiful..

9. Phoebe says:

It was just okay. Sorry to burst anyone’s artistic bubble. Perhaps it was the tip of the puffy paint bottle, but every little circle I squirt on had a peek. It looked like little hundreds of little nipples lol. I tried different pull-away techniques but I still ended up with a point. Any suggestions? I also noticed the painted wanted to head south; especially the dots that were on the underside of the orb-shaped bottle. It certainly was easy enough to create, just not as satisfying as I’d hoped. Truly, if you have suggestions for the two problems, please let me know.

10. Heather says:

Wow, that is incredible! Thank for sharing!!!!!!

11. su johnston says:

What a wonderful idea! Love the elegant results!
    I’m going to pass this around at easyhomeprojects.net.