diy project: chela’s fabric screen

screen1
chela edmunds is textile artist from melbourne, australia. she recently moved into a new apartment in brooklyn, ny and found that her beautiful windows overlooking the park only had enough blind coverage to reach chest-height. in order to let the sun shine through and maintain some privacy she created this simple but chic felted screen. she was kind enough to share her full project steps with us today, so if you’re looking to let light into your home and maintain a little bit of privacy, this diy is just the ticket. thanks again to chela for sharing her felt screen with us!

CLICK HERE for the full project after the jump!

Inspiration

Materials:

Measuring tape/ rule
soft lead pencil or dressmakers chalk
template for the circle (I used a tea canister)
sharp scissors
a sewing machine
thread
felt fabric (measured to the width and length of the window)

steps
Instructions

* Measure your window, width and height.

* Use felt fabric. The piece of felt should be long and wide enough to cover the whole window. It is important to use felt as it will not fray at the edges.

* Using you circular template and soft lead pencil, trace circles side by side to cover the whole piece of felt.

* cut out the circles using a sharp pair of scissors. This will take a long time (it took me 3 hours) but its very meditative so enjoy it!

* Sew the circles in rows stitching straight through the centre, one after the other in a continuous line for the width size. For my window this was 11 circles but it will vary for you window and template size, so measuring is important.

* Finally sew all the rows together to make the height of the window and form a grid. This took me 25 rows of circles but again will depend on your window.

* Simply hang the screen with drawing pins and voila!

screen2
screen3

1. Anna says:

I love how simple this is! I also like how it doesn’t look super bulky over a window. Great job! I’m going to have to try this soon :)

2. madeline says:

I love this! I’m wondering if I could sew a tab on each circle on the top row (or maybe every second circle would be enough) so I could thread it on a curtain rail. Perhaps some sort of ribbon for the tabs.

3. charlene says:

perfect circles? one word: lasers

4. Holly Hudson says:

For those readers near scrapbook stores, or fabric stores, MANY have diecut machines and have various size circle dies! This would be a godsend & would allow you to be meditative for a short while instead of hours! Some neighborhood elementary schools may allow you to use their diecut machines, too! Providing brownies or a seasonal treat for the office secretary & staff should help get into the room with the diecut machine! enjoy

5. jenna says:

love the screen! but more important, love the chair. where did you get it?

6. Jaclyn says:

So where do you pin the screen? directly onto the wall/window frame?
    And I’m wondering if there’s a nicer way to hang it up. Any suggestions?

7. Ang says:

For anyone looking for something that cuts perfect circles, I found the Olfa Rotary Circle cutter. It’s on sale at Joanne’s right now for $12.99

8. Monica says:

I really love the image in the inpiration section called natural colors, that has the really creative wall decoration of branches and leaves! Does anyone know how to do this? Or have any links to similar things? Because i really want to recreate this in my room!

9. sara Amrhein says:

Oh wow!! I am so very excited about this project! I am in the process of restoring our new apartment with my husband and have a window this will be perfect on! Thanks for the post!!

10. Tawnya Chatmon says:

Great Idea, I going to try it for my kitchen windows!

11. Amber says:

I’m thinking about cutting out the circles and gluing them together with the string in between. Doubles the time on cutting circles but also eliminates the sewing.

12. Amber says:

Glue would definitely make the felt too stiff. I don’t have a sewing machine so I’m hand-stitching. I want to be buried with this thing wrapped around me. My tombstone will read “Circles. There were so many circles.”

13. Anne says:

Love this, too!
    Might try with some different shape maybe. Will try with paper first how maybe a bamboo-stick pattern will look.
    Has anyone finished stitching by hand yet? How long did it take you?!

14. Sonia says:

Love the idea! I’m sure gonna use this, in a different form though..I’ll be linking when I’m done!

15. Amber says:

It took me two weeks to hand sew everything together. I used a thick rose colored ribbon to make loops at the top, too. I’m moving into a new place next week and can’t wait to put it up!

16. esti says:

what a great idea!!!
    i’m going to make this too!!
    thanks

17. Claris says:

Excelente justo lo que necesitaba para hacer una cortina preciosa, gracias por la idea!!

18. Shutters says:

Such a brilliant idea! i may try this with some sheer coloured fabric to get a nice sunny hue.

19. Angela says:

I really think you’ll steal the idea is fantastic!

20. Amanda says:

Can you use a circle punch on felt? I’ve never tried and don’t want to spend the $15 if it won’t. Thanks!

21. ROBIN says:

I MADE THESE IN HOLLOWEEN COLOR CIRCLES FOR THE HOLIDAY THEN THRU A HOLLOWEEN SHEER OVER THE TOP THEY LOOK RELLY COOL AND THE FELT KEEPS THE COLD OUT BUT LETS THE LIGHT IN WHITCH IS AWSOME I ALSO PUT HOOPS AT THE TOP AND HUNG EYE SCREWS THE WALA FLIP THE HOOP OVER AND THERE HUNG THEY LOOK SO COOL AND WAS SO EASY I’M MAKING X-MAS ONES TOO..

22. ris says:

First post I fell in love with 4 years ago. Still hooked to design sponge.

23. Angelica says:

I still don’t get the sewing part. Can you please translate it for someone that has never sewn anything before? Thanks!

24. I really contemplate how come you called this specific post, “diy project: chela