behind the bar: the honeymooner

honeymooner_1
Sadly we are home from our glorious honeymoon and oh, what a perfect honeymoon it was! A special “Thank You” to everyone who sent us suggestions of things to do and see while in France. We met amazing people, ate incredible food, drank delicious wines, discovered beautiful shops and even had the chance to buy some exciting new products for HORNE.

honeymooner_2
Every evening while staying in Provence (at La Bastinde de Marie), our inn laid out the most amazing spread of olives, radishes, breadsticks, tapenade, tomatoes and meats to enjoy with our aperitifs. While eating my nibbles, I discovered Pastis. Pastis is traditionally served alongside a pitcher of water that is used to dilute the liqueur to the drinker’s preference. I found I liked to also add ice but I was later informed that some purists refuse to do so, instead using only cold spring water to dilute the drink and nothing else (not even cold tap water is acceptable).

honeymooner_3
I so enjoyed pastis that I thought I would share a pastis-based cocktail for this month’s column. I must warn you, not everyone will like this drink. It isn’t as carefully balanced as our previous drinks and the flavors are a little more abrupt (I think the only reason Alissa agreed to let me do it was because of how pretty it looks). What it does do well is complement the pastis in a unique and interesting combination – which is surprisingly tricky to accomplish.

CLICK HERE for the full drink recipe (and more photos) after the jump!

honeymooner_4
I am not exactly sure what the drink is called (we discovered it at some tiny brasserie in Paris and my French is really non-existent) so I think we will call it “The Honeymooner.”

honeymooner_5
Ingredients:
1.5oz Gin (we love Hendrick’s so I always tend to use that)
1.5oz Pastis (Pernod – or you could always use Pastis’ trendier cousin, Absinthe)
1 teaspoon Grenadine

Methodology:
In a rocks or old-fashioned glass carefully layer the grenadine, pastis and gin (in that order). Do not stir the drink but watch as the ingredients combine over time. Add ice and garnish with a lime (if desired). And then, of course, enjoy!

honeymooner_6
Lastly we want to say “Happy Birth-Day” to our nephew who was born today! Above is a picture of his beautiful sister, our niece, Rylan.

Alissa & Ryan

1. nicia says:

omg…that little girl is so cute.

2. Emilia says:

Thank you! I have been looking for a French-inspired drink for our wedding and I think this might be it!

3. laura says:

Yay for pastis.
    your drink is a” tomate avec gin”.
    but “the honeymooner” sounds much better.
    salut!

4. Denise says:

yum! pernod is my favorite drink and I’ve never heard of mixing it with anything. thanks for this recipe and congratulations to you.

5. Carrie S. says:

Mmm…Pernod.

Is that homemade Grenadine?

6. risti says:

looks delicious. i love it! and beautiful photos.

7. fran says:

looks delish… cocktails ARE fantastic

8. cshteynberg says:

I love Pernod and plan on making this. I have childhood memories of traveling with my parents and my mom having Pernod at cocktail hour. At Harry’s Bar, I remember them bringing the alcohol out in a small pitcher and giving her a glass with a glass “strainer” of sorts on top of it. They put chipped ice in the strainer and poured the alcohol over it, which slowly trickled through the ice, leaving chilled, milky Pernod in the glass. Awesome. I wish I could find these glasses, but haven’t been able to online.

9. hi_design says:

brings back memories of my summer in Provence- we learned many different ways to combine pastis

10. Laura says:

i think you mean “brasserie” not “brassiere,” in the above text!

11. Hendricks is my absolute favourite gin – and I have tried a few (for research purposes, obviously). This sounds delish, so shall have to force myself to try it! Thanks for sharing. :)

12. kate says:

I cant wait to try that drink! LOVE gin and LOVE hendricks

13. I too am very fond of Hendrick’s…how can you go wrong with the subtlest aftertastes of cucumber and rose petal…must try this drink soon…sounds divine!!! Thank you!

14. robin says:

mmm… sounds like a strong little yummie cocktail!

15. Stevie says:

ooooooooooooooo this drink was NOT for me!! I have loved the previous behind the bar drinks, but this? Definitely not for everyone. The flavors are just too abrupt, nothing smooth about this at all! A little disappointing after spending $60 at the liquor store to achieve the taste. It was very pretty in the glass though

16. biboushkaya says:

I have to say Pernod is Pastis but Pastis is from Marseille and as a real girl from Marseille I have to tell you real Pastis is the 51 ! or Ricard …

17. Tha Wise Owl says:

Am I the only one who adores the little bistro table sitting outside? Simply marvelous.
    Can’t wait to try the drinks as well! Cheers!

18. Mouse says:

I would love to just hang around and drink Pernod for, I don’t know, a month or so.

19. julie johnson says:

what happened to your wedding blog? I loved the fabric flowers you made for bridesmaid dresses and also the ring pillow. I wanted to ask you how you made them and now I can’t find photos! oh no!

1. grace says:

hi julie

are you looking for the shop horne wedding? their wedding pictures are here: http://www.designspongeonline.com/2009/05/wedding-bells-a-shop-horne-wedding.html

grace

20. em says:

Where did you get these glasses? I love them!