weekly wrap up + the golden rule

3849891907_7c0cf4f16e_b
whew! another long week is over and i’m ready for a long weekend. ever since our weekend in the catskills i’ve been trying to recreate the sense of serenity i felt in the little one-room schoolhouse (called “the golden rule”) we rented; so i thought it would be nice to end the week with some images of the house itself. built in the early 1800s, the schoolhouse hasn’t been changed much since then and had such a beautiful sense of calmness inside. i’m going to try to mentally take myself back to that place over the holiday break and come back tuesday rested and ready to go. until then, i hope you all have a safe and happy holiday weekend! be sure to check in on tuesday for the new (free) september d*s desktop wallpaper.

3850686894_d73c28fcdd_b1

1. the colors in the room work so well together. gorgeous blues, reds, browns and tans! I especially love all the framed maps!!

2. love it love it love it. just the thought of a one-room schoolhouse is enough to conjure up feelings of nostalgia and serenity.

3. Becky says:

what a great color blue.

4. Tonje says:

Happy holyday weekend to you to!I love these pictures,the colors and the old clock and espesialy the map.

5. Tonje says:

happy holyday weekend to you to!I enjoy seeing these pictures. the colors, the clock and espesially the framed map.

6. lindsey says:

love the schoolhouse, how serene.

7. i really like how the mattress was left bare and i’m strangely attracted to the floral pillows…

8. Kate says:

Wow, I can see why you are longing for that place. The color scheme alone makes me want to stay there. Have a great long weekend!

9. I love those pictures – the blue, the maps… I would love to wallpaper my baby’s room with maps.

10. Holidays are for sweets, so I’ll be reading the recipes!

11. Eve Fox says:

so funny to see a map of ulster county and a photo of the garden in front of that store just off the village green in Woodstock! I grew up in Woodstock and was just there for a visit a few weeks ago and noticed that garden because it was such an odd mix of things (mostly amaranth?) I prefer the one planted on the village green, I think. Did you check out the garden cafe while you were there? delicious vegan food (and I am well aware that that could be considered an oxymoron but it’s actually really tasty!)

12. Greg says:

Some folks have a marvelous talent for this kind of proportionate clutter. They’re comfy, reassuring rooms to visit but I don’t think I’d want to live in them.

13. cathy says:

I love design sponge… thank you for all of your glorious posts!!
    xoxo

14. Jasmine says:

Your website is great.I love these photos!
    Jas
    Ireland

15. Love those maps! That looks like the perfect place for a quick get away. Happy Labour Day everyone!

16. Kate says:

Oh goodness, what a delicate little place to stay! I looove the kitchen!

17. meryl says:

cool looking place, obviously spending holidays in such a place is a lovable thought.

18. Yvonne says:

I want to go there! I want to live here!
    So beautiful. Bravo.

19. Decorator says:

It seems like a small house near train station in Russia, somewhere in Siberia (first photo)

20. Deborah says:

This is lovely and nostalgic. Quiet, comfortable and easy to be in. One could read, reflect and rest up. What is on the floor….uhmmm…maybe a little sisal or flat weave to tie it all with a cozy knot.

21. casey says:

Maps are one of my favorite souvenirs! It’s so fun to reminisce about a vacation, or get excited for a vacation by pouring over a map. It’s a lovely little house!

22. Jenna says:

Serious inquiry : How does one find out information about renting the schoolhouse for a weekend?

1. grace says:

jenna

just follow the link above: the contact info for each homeowner is on the page ;)

grace