we like it wild: diana fayt

Ceramicist and sculptor Diana Fayt just officially became a rock star. This summer Fayt was featured on the cover of Ceramics Monthly (June, July, August edition), which as anyone in the world of ceramics knows, is basically like being on the cover of Rolling Stone. So we were thrilled to get to spend some session time with her in her San Francisco studio this month as she prepared a new batch of vases for the fantastic Heath Ceramics.

As florists we were always struck by how few flowers it took to make one of Fayt’s vases look fantastic. Little did we know that this was deliberate on the part of the designer; after spending several years working at companies that preferred making wide-mouth vases and bowls, vases that would quickly eat up a fresh flower budget, Fayt set out to create work that was both economically and aesthetically minded. Her uniquely styled vases are perfectly happy holding a handful of blooms or none at all:

“Some things I consider when making a new vase shape is how many flowers will fit in the vase. Most people buy one bunch of flowers, not three. I want people to be able put their blooms in my vases with ease and not have to fuss too much but also to enjoy the vase without flowers as well.”

CLICK HERE for the rest of the post (and all 15 images on one page) after the jump!

A gardener since childhood, Fayt spent her formative years fastidiously assembling bouquets from her backyard. “Gardens and nature are pretty much a part of my genetic coding,” says the artist, who starts many mornings in her own garden checking emails while watching the hummingbirds collect nectar from a huge passion flower vine that is about to swallow her back staircase. After hearing about Fayt’s childhood, it seems that her thumb was green from the start. “When I was growing up my mom built a greenhouse on the side-yard of our house and tilled up the lawn in our suburban backyard and turned it into a huge vegetable garden…I spent many a lazy after school hour popping fuchsia pods and picking the gardenias that grew on our front walkway.”

Fayt has alchemically combined her love of nature and gardening with her formal backgrounds in printmaking and ceramics, producing vessels that are both visual and tactile. Her Bay View studio is part old world workshop and part ceramic candy-store. Her distinctive etched vases, made from a process she developed herself, bare carefully hand-drawn flora inspired by the artist’s love of nature. When a piece is still leather hard, not completely hard but still able to take a line, Fayt begins her etching. Each vase is designed to work as a stand-alone sculpture and her 360˚ botanical reliefs add texture and depth to each surface. Lately she’s been experimenting with old nails and antique tools to achieve new shapes and textures. Her studio is filled with rusty tools, 19th century botanical books and richly colored vases of all sizes and shapes.

“There is a chaotic order to nature. So many different plants can live next to one another in so many different settings, whether urban or natural and always look beautiful. The rhythm and patterns of leaves, the ordered petals on a flower, tangles of vines and small plants growing out of cracks in the sidewalk intrigue me. I like to integrate that feeling of chaos and order in my work.”

We couldn’t resist borrowing a few of her beautiful vessels for a mini photo shoot to showcase how a few flowers enhance her vases’ sculptural appeal, and vice versa.

The “Fragile” vase was perfect for holding some of the more delicate (and short) flowers we had around the studio: open garden roses and airy poppies. We love the combination of the graphic red font and the tissue papery petals.

A tall chartreuse and ivory cylinder held some late summer bounty from our garden. Some large clusters of green tomatoes with lots of foliage fill most of the vase with a few nasturtiums and bittersweet branches for some autumn color.

Our friend dahlia takes center stage in one of Fayt’s signature canteen vases. This piece is perfect for creating a more horizontal style arrangement by tucking in the stems at an angle. This particular vase is also two in one- it has a beautiful rooster on the other side.

Tiny vases can be a challenge because the stems are often hard to keep in place. It is surprising how many flowers can fit into a wide mouthed cup that is just a few inches wide! We like to pack little vases with a few small bouquets, using rubber bands to hold them together.

1. Paulette says:

Breathtaking. And I loved how the designer addressed practical (flowers are expensive) as well as aesthetic issues with her vision, which is what good design should do.

2. Abigail says:

wonderful… love this :) Miss Diana is the best!! xo

3. jess says:

thanks so much for the great diana fayt studio photos! i’ve been lusting for a piece of her work ever since i found her on etsy.

4. i love the narrow opening of my bristol glass vases for the very reason you speak of. My mother had many large crystal vases, which she’d fill with bundles of gladiolas. I was an expensive venture.

I’m a newlywed so I need a container that allows me to arrange flowers more according to my station in life.

5. Teresa says:

Absolutely gorgeous. I wish she was in NYC.

6. Chris says:

Her work is just beautiful–she is a rock star!

7. Dinah says:

Just lovely…Diana’s ceramics, her studio and the photography! The “fragile” vase with delicate flowers is like a poem.

8. rifferaff says:

LOVE diana fayt! beautiful vessels and arrangements.

9. fabframes says:

Wow, wow, wow! I absolutely adore Diana Fayt’s work! Thank you so much for posting this!

10. These are fantastic! So much talent and vibrant colors! I also love the little dog and his foot-prints all over the couch!

11. So inspiring…a friend of mine owns a lovely vase by Diana and covets it dearly. Can’t wait til I get my first piece!

12. Amanda says:

Haha I love the puppy prints all over the couch!

13. melissa says:

She is a rock star. She is also a generous friend and mentor.

14. Melissa says:

These are gorgeous! I’ve never seen anything like it before!

15. What pretty pottery with pretty prints.

16. Jane says:

They are beautiful and I’d love one but I live in Sydney – agh!

17. Novi says:

Love the combination of the vessels with the flowers, one of a kind… so beautiful. Another great post, Studio Choo!

18. Linda Starr says:

Lovely photos and a great article, you’ve captured Diana’s wonderful personality and the thought and creativity she brings to her work.

19. Leetid says:

Very interesting vases.

20. holly says:

I wanna live and that world for a day! Love this post!
    Love F R A G I L E vase! Will hop over to her etsy site now….Thanks for sharing.

21. Katie says:

Her work is gorgeous!

22. I love Diana’s work and she is such a friendly, generous artist too. Thanks so much for featuring her here!!

23. Bridgette says:

These vases remind me a little of one my grandmother used to have, just beautiful!

24. creatissimo says:

Wow! I love these beautiful vases! I like the colours and the motives on the vases. Great!

25. teenie says:

crazy beautiful :)

26. Miss B. says:

I just LOVED this. She is one of my fave’s as is Heath which I live walking distance from!

27. I love seeing artists who have taken a craft done by many, and a product like a vase that has been done so many times before, make it totally and utterly unique and their own. Beautiful!

28. Christi York says:

Gah! I wanted to eat all of her vases like candy. I worked as a florist for years in the 90’s and I’m so happy to see this movement toward minimalistic design.

29. pinkbathtub says:

I adore her work, wonderful piece. Great photos too!

30. Amrita says:

Amazing post – loved hearing more about Diana’s green thumb and seeing all the photos. I own a few of Diana’s pieces and they are real treasures. And having recently spent a day with her traipsing between her studio & other ceramic artists’ spaces I can say she is a lovely person too.

p.s. For folks who don’t live in San Fran, she does have an online shop.

31. Barbi says:

Absolutely beautiful! I am checking out her etsy store right now……..

32. Anna says:

Wow, these are awesome! And the colors are great! I’d love to have one of these vases on my table!

33. These are so lovely and have such an organic quality.

34. Lisa says:

Original, unique, spectacularly beautiful ceramics. I plan to purchase as many pieces as possible!

35. manette says:

Wow, I’m impressed, thanks for sharing.