sneak peek: jen bekman of 20×200

by

jen1
when it comes to making art accessible and affordable for all, jen bekman is the queen with her 20×200 project. her formula is simple: (limited editions + low prices) + internet = art for everyone. work of many of her featured artists has shown up in a sorts of sneak peeks, and her online gallery has something for everyone. jen’s home is a gallery upon itself, and she’s done an amazing job crediting all of the artists featured in her home in the text below (click here for larger versions of the images), so be sure to check them out, and visit 20×200 to find the next great addition to your home. {thanks jen (and kika)!} -anne

{photos by youngna park}

[above: The George Smith sofa; in front of that is a Heywood Wakefield coffee table and sideboard purchased from White Trash, a vintage furniture shop in the East Village. Art, Left to Right: (Top) Sleeping Lion by Colleen Plumb, (Bottom) Untitled (Max) by Dorthe Alstrup, We Did This by Karolina Karlic, Bear #42 by Kent Rogowski, Bookshelf 20 by Jane Mount, Convention of Shadows by Carrie Marill, Cascade by Jessica Snow, It Rained Outside So We Camped Inside by Tim Walker recently featured in Jen Bekman Gallery’s group exhibit Summer Reading.

jen2
These lamps are from clearance section at Target with shades from Just Shades. The book of poetry tucked in the corner is by James Merrill and leaning up next to Sleeping by the Mississippi by Alec Soth. The painting on the headboard is Interior 4 by Sarah McKenzie, an artist whose solo show, Building Code, was up at the gallery earlier this year.

jen3
The candles are from West Elm, the smoking pig from Kid Robot, and the bird and jewelry box are both thrift store finds.

CLICK HERE for the rest of Jen’s sneak peek after the jump (including all 10 images on one page)!

jen4

My kitchen table and chairs are also by Heywood Wakefield from White Trash and the rug is by Company, from Sierra Trading Post.  Pictures, Tim Walker‘s book is in the foreground on the coffee table. Art: Clockwise from top: The Drive with Christine by Chad Muthard, Inflatable by Akiko Sato, ny.07#20 by Jennifer Sanchez, This is a Picture of Space by Chris Johansen, Lisa, New Haven by Ben Donaldson, House Plant no. 2 by Carrie Marill, Polly by Christina Muraczewski, Structure of Thought 6-a + 6-b by Doug and Mike Starn (a 20×200 benefit print for Blind Spot Magazine), There were many invitations and I know you sent me some but I was waiting for the miracle to come by Anne Hall, New York City by Jeffrey Ladd, two paintings by Associate Director of JB Gallery, Jeffrey Teuton, My Favorite Places as of November 2007 by Andrew Kuo and Uninvited Guests by Ian Dingman.

jen5

This is my George Smith Sofa that I have spent many hours typing 20×200 newsletters from and next to that is a Heywood Wakefield Sideboard and Nessen lamp from White Trash. The red bird on the books is a Breezy Singer bird (Rob Walker featured Jen in his NYT Consumed Column on the birds) and the dog on the ground is Maynard the Bulldog, a purchase from Woolworth’s on 23rd street in 1989.

Art on the wall, Left to Right: Velodrome by James Deavin, Untitled (Max) by Dorthe Alstrup, We Did This by  Karolina Karlic, Bear #42 by Kent Rogowski, Bookshelf 20 by Jane Mount, Convention of Shadows by Carrie Marill, Cascade by Jessica Snow, and It Rained Outside So We Camped Inside by Tim Walker, recently featured in a group exhibit at the gallery, Summer Reading

jen6

The alabaster lamps atop the desk are both from eBay with shades from Just Shades, a shade shop around the corner from the gallery. That’s a Heywood Wakefield Secretary desk with Glidden pottery on the shelves. The rocker was a thrift store find and gift from architects Daniel Heighes Wismer and Gregory Dufner of Dufner Heighes Inc (recently featured in Martha Stewart!). The mantel clock was a birthday gift from my father and there are also a number of other clocks tucked in the shelves of the desk.

Art, L to R: Fontainebleau, France, 2007 by Alec Soth (a benefit print for Pathways) and on the wall to the right, Praia Piquina 06/08/04 15h40 by Christian Chaize.

jen7

Between the room divider and the wall is my own floor-to-ceiling handmade bookshelf — really a giant stack of books I can’t part with!  The art to the right is Praia Piquina 06/08/04 15h40 by Christian Chaize.

jen8

The pot on the left is a Native American clay pot purchased from shop in Albuquerque, New Mexico. The elephant is from High Street Market, a vintage shop on Etsy. In front of that is a black dish from Hull Pottery full of seashells from various shores. The lamp and Danish sideboard are also from White Trash. Art: To the left you see the edge of Space Illusion by Carrie Marill, and the boat is a Paint-by-Numbers thrift store find from the Hamptons.

jen9

The ceramic bowls are from Fire King and that’s a vintage black Catherine Holm bowl on the cart in the kitchen. The art on the wall behind the sink features lots of 20×200 artists. From L-R: Top row: Plattsmouth, Nebraska, Carts #1 by Kate Bingaman-Burt, Birds of the Pacific Northwest by Laura Levine, Just Let It Go by Kotama Bouabane, middle row: Chateau Pool by Gregory Krum, You are Important by Stephanie Cinelli, Mercedes Planter by Amy Park, bottom row: Site by Sarah McKenzie, Fortune (will be successful in…) by Kirby Pilcher, Auditorium by James Rajotte and Grand Finale by Rachel Sumpter.

jen10

In the kitchen is my vintage Chambers stove, acquired at a flea market years ago.
Art peeking out to the left of the stove: Many Mountains by Ky Anderson, Mercedes Planter by Amy Park, Grand Finale by Rachell Sumpter (other wall) Top: Ahern Rental, Westminster, CA by Brad Moore Bottom: NY University Club by Gregory Krum, also recently seen in Summer Reading and a 20×200 superstar!

1. donkee says:

That nook with the books is like a very pleasant surprise. I love that she showcases the artists in her own home.

2. mari says:

I am not surprised by the amount of art, considering Jen’s addiction! But I love to see how she’s managed to make all those pieces work in her home!

3. Emily says:

Love that book nook.
    What a brilliant solution!

4. susie says:

absolutely lovely!

5. emily says:

Lovely! When I saw the first picture, the artwork reminded me of 20×200 before I even saw whose sneak peak it was! I too love the book nook, and also the painting on the headboard.

6. style court says:

Jen,

It’s a real treat to see the pieces you’ve chosen for youself, and to see how you group them.

Courtney

7. Silvia says:

I admire the organization, cleaning, light, and profit of the space in this house.
    I would like to have this in my home.
    And the art on the walls, of course…

8. Love the artwork everywhere!

9. marjorie says:

so delicious! lovely mix of high and low. and nice to see how you can have tchotchkes but not be OVERWHELMED by tchotchkes.

i love the look of the desk chair (i recently tried, abortively, to sub a gorgeous thrift store find for my modern hideous ergonomic special) but my back would not allow me to go there.

10. Kim says:

That house…that stove!

11. I adore the quantity of artwork that hangs in this space. Do you have any suggestions for displaying artwork if you are just beginning your collection? An arrangement that is easy to add to and grow?

12. Abby says:

I love that Jen has STUFF, but that her apartment doesn’t look cluttered.

My favorite elements are the bulldog, the hidden bookshelf and the Christian Chaize print that I’ve been wanting ever since it debuted on the 20×200 site.

13. tara says:

Flickr link is to private page –
    please fix this ongoing issue!
    Want to see large images! (;

14. bb says:

That is the coolest headboard I’ve ever seen. Absolutely fantastic.

15. Daddy'O says:

I love the clock….it fits perfectly:)

16. Jessica Snow says:

Jen,

Your taste is exquisite, I’m in love with Heywood-Wakefield’s mid-century furniture…and combined with your art collection! To die for!

17. amya says:

tara- sorry! i’ve made the adjustments on the flickr page! -amya

18. rifferaff says:

i love that sofa so much.

19. Sarah says:

Definitely one of my favorite sneak peeks ever!

20. It is so lovely. I love the bed. Very neat, simple and clean. I really like white too aside from pink.

21. MTH says:

The cupboard beneath all the artwork, I see many people having one in these sneak peaks, but it is never mentioned (I guess because it’s common knowlegde to know who the designer is?). But who the designer??

22. Zoe says:

Question for Jen: what’s her solution for frames for the smallest of her editions, i.e., the kitchen, above the ceramic bowls. We have a bunch of 20×200 prints and are experimenting with options for framing at an affordable clip. These don’t look like the Ikea series we’re considering. Tips/suggestions appreciated.

23. SusanO says:

Jen, so exciting to see your place! Count me as another fan of the handmade book nook – did you do that yourself?

I also love your bedroom. Simple, yet cosy.

24. lush bella says:

once i saw the very first image with the velvet sofa, i just knew this was going to be a very special sneak peek! I look forward to jen’s newsletters and read each one from start to finish…and so to see how she curates all the wonderful artwork she writes about and features is very inspiring.

25. Samantha says:

I love 20×200. Happy to see many of the pieces Jen chose for her own home are the ones I have in mine. Great space–love the bedroom.

26. JessicaB says:

I love everything about this place! The mini English Bulldog statue is great!

Does anyone know where I can find a headboard similar to this one? I just moved and our bedroom space is tight so we need to eliminate bedside tables and something like that would solve our problems! Any tips on where to get one or how to do it yourself would be much appreciated!

27. WONDERFUL!!! Light and airy, yet filled with riches.

28. Jen says:

I too love how she has lots of decor and pieces on her shelves/tables and yet they all work!!! *taking notes over here*..

I adore all the art, she has a great collection!!

29. amanda says:

love it! comfortable & cool…

30. Jen Bekman says:

Wow, I’m just seeing all these lovely comments now and I’m incredibly flattered! Thanks so much for all the kind words.

For the record, my pack-rat tendencies are not usually this well-contained. Jeffrey Teuton, the gallery’s Associate Director, and Kika Gilbert, JBP’s administrative empresario, worked hard to rein in all my stuff. Such lovely results! I am grateful.

I’ll try to answer the questions… let me know if I’ve overlooked anything.

– The sideboard is Danish, vintage, but I’m not sure of the designer. I got it from White Trash on East 5th St. (They have a taller, gorgeous one there right now.

– The headboard was part of a platform for the bed that custom built into the space. It’s just sheet rock that’s been finished & painted!

– For framing 20×200 I always recommend getting custom mats cuts, since image dimensions vary, but always for the same sized frames. That’s what makes that wall full of 20 prints look visually consistent… if you look closely, you’ll see that it’s a mix of square, vertical and horizontal works in variable sizes. The framer I worked with gave me a good deal on the actual frames too, since I did all 20 at once, so they’re all custom. If you’re building a collection slowly, I suggest picking a simple frame style from West Elm, Crate & Barrel or IKEA and getting custom mats cut for each new piece you buy.

Again, thanks for all the wonderful feedback and HUGE thanks to Jeffrey, Kika and of course, Youngna who did the photos — they made my place look so good!

31. Jen says:

lovely, the whole thing really! I love the couch.

32. Jes says:

The headboard is absolutely perfect. It will solve a huge space issue for us! Thanks for the idea.

33. Kate says:

I’m intrigued by the room divider/headboard and was hoping you could elaborate. Is it built in to the architecture of the room or something free standing? Is the ledge above the bed where you have the lamps and books a store-bought headboard or is custom made? I think it’s brilliant but I can’t figure out what it is, exactly…

34. Lisa Hunter says:

What a gorgeous loft! I love how you’ve hung so many pieces of art without making a hash out of it (as I usually do).

35. julia says:

i love the gallery wall in the kitchen with uniform frames & white mats! i think i might poach this idea …

xo julesinflats.com