sneak peek: jean pelle

i am so excited to share this sneak peek! architect turned designer jean pelle as been on our radar since she introduced her line of hand-turned, candleholders with gold-leaf detailing on her etsy store last september. however, it was her bubble chandelier for readymade magazine that really blew my mind! (i still want to do that project!) jean has a fascinating background – born in south korea, grew up in los angeles, berkeley architecture b.a. and a master’s degree from yale in architecture. she worked as a lead designer for an architectural firm in mumbai, india before opening her own design studio in 2008.  her attention to detail is evident throughout her apartment where somehow jean and her husband have made their 550 sq. foot brooklyn apartment feel spacious and roomy! [thanks, jean!] – amy a.

[My favorite color for a sunlit room is a bright white. I tend to think that if a room gets little or no direct sunlight, it’s better off being painted a very dark color (like our bedroom).  The sofa was purchased at a floor sample sale from Ligne Roset. I fell in love with its color and we thought it’s small size would work  well for the size of the living room (our place looks bigger in these photos than in real life!)]

The black chair is an original H.J. Wegner that I picked up for free next to Pailey Park in NYC. I was with 2 other friends at the time and they each got one as well.

Our dining table was purchased from Sterling Place on Atlantic Ave, the dining chairs are refinished original Jacobsen chairs, and the light above is the Bubble Chandelier I created for Readymade Magazine earlier this year.

CLICK HERE for the rest of jean’s peek (and all the images on one page) after the jump!

The bench is a flea market find and the collection of artwork on the wall are models/photos by my husband and watercolor paintings by me. The glass lamp is from Artemide.
Our bedroom is the brooding, darker brother to our living room. The lamps and bookshelves are from Ikea.  The illuminated vertical piece of furniture is a vanity table I built during grad school… it is missing the mirror that is to be placed in front of the light panel.
My husband and I love artwork and being surrounded by it.  Most of the wall hangings are photographs from our wedding and a mish mash of artwork by me.  Perhaps in the future we could slowly replace these with some lovely paintings by artists we admire.

1. Nevis says:

I loooooove the bench!!!

2. katie says:

Gorgeous marble-topped credenza.

3. Leanne says:

What color is the bedroom paint?

4. kristina says:

who’s the sideboard by? I loooove the marble top!!!

5. There is something so hauntingly alluring about that old, defunct fireplace juxtaposed with the flame-red, modern couch.

So many B’lyn brownstones have these ghosts. I am reminded of British artist Rachel Whiteread’s “Ghost,” (1990) an interior plaster cast of a Victorian home.

6. Jody says:

a perfect mix of country, mod, vintage, and traditional… inspirational.

7. simplygrove says:

Great sneak peek!! Love the sofa!

8. Novi says:

I like the great mix of decor in this space, nice furniture too! Love Jean’s DORIT candleholders.
    p.s. Amy, the ‘click here’ link says page I’m looking for is not found but the ‘read more’ link works great, just letting you know…

1. amya says:

Thanks, Novi! It should work now!

9. This place is gorgeous. I love the paint color in the bedroom and the light in the dining area.

10. Anne says:

I may be wrong, but that looks like a Florence Knoll credenza to me. It’s very nice. It’s great to see it in white rather than teak.

Love the Artemide lamp.

It’s so lovely that there is a bank of windows right next to the dining table. Must be so nice to enjoy breakfast/coffee there in the morning.

11. sara says:

That Ligne Roset sofa is amazing! I agree with Jody, the balance between new and old throughout is perfect.

12. Jen says:

Beautiful! I love the tufted bench and the credenza. That bedroom looks so cozy. What is the paint color?

13. what an interesting and beautiful red sofa!

14. Their bedroom rocks. And I love the dining room table with those chairs!

15. greybreaks says:

lovely home. like the mix of eras/styles.

16. Kathryn says:

Lovely house. Love the chandelier, we actually made it a few weeks ago and its great. What’s not so great is the transition to the ceiling, which it looks like you’ve worked out better. What did you use?

17. vivian says:

18. jean pelle says:

Hi and thanks for the compliments! To answer your questions:
    -The bedroom paint is called Rugged Suede by Valspar. (I have to mention that it’s a bit darker than in the photo).
    -The marble top credenza is, in fact, by Knoll/Saarinen as Anne suggested.
    -The hardware I use in the ceiling for my light is a metal eye screw. I pull the cord through the eye, cinch the loop at the top with a plastic cable tie and trim the extra length, and then fit a detachable plug at the cord’s end…you won’t be able to get the cord through the eye screw with a molded plug. good luck! Jean

19. Stacey says:

Your entire home is delightful, I am especially in love with the rainbow wall…going to have to try that!

20. Karen says:

I am so excited to see that home of a female architect/designer! I’m just an undergrad, but I have big dreams! Thanks!

21. Laura says:

yes! i love jean pelle’s work, and her apartment definitely portrays her love of clean design.

22. stephanie says:

What about the kitchen? I would have loved to have seen it!

23. Jacqui says:

Beautiful! Thanks for sharing smaller homes, it’s great inspiration for us apartment dwellers!

24. Wendy says:

Love it, love it! I especially love the credenza and it’s uber clean lines. I’m curious if Jean Pelle refinished the Jacobsen chairs herself or contracted it out. I have 6 (bought for $100!) that need refinishing.

25. What a house!! Very good mix of style and furniture.

26. Cole says:

Oh I’ve been wanting to make the bubble chandelier since I saw it in readymade too!

27. Jeff Flemings says:

Thanks for the referral to Elizabeth Schuppe. Her work would look wonderful in your home, I hope you’re able to add one of her pieces to your collection.

28. Emily says:

I love the mix of styles you use. It’s so simple and easily flowing. PLUS I loved that chandelier in ReadyMade, and I love it still!

29. Laura says:

Gorgeous home, thanks for sharing! I can’t believe you found those three Wegner chairs in the street… that’s the score of the century.

30. Kimberly says:

that bench is making regret a similar one that i passed on at a flea market last week. i might just have to never look at that photo again or be haunted with the bad decision i made.

the red sofa is fantastic. love the whole living room/dining area.

31. I like it so much style & design.I love jean pelle’s work.

32. Cindi aka oldblackcatboo says:

I love everything! It was very clever how you hide the air-conditioner among the paintings and put the fireplace to good use!
    Fantastic job!

33. i love the dining room and the bedroom so much. so simple and rational.

34. ems says:

i love ur whole house :D:D:D i want to live in it, lol