living in: annie hall

by

still-13
Say it with me guys. Annie. Hall. Who knew that these two words could have such a energizing effect on people? When friends asked me what movie I was plotting this week, just hearing the words “Annie Hall” made everyone grin with delight and start bouncing up and down on their seat. Not only is it charming, adorable and honest, it’s also drop dead stylish. Diane Keaton? That tie? Those glasses? The upper east side in the 70’s? All amazing. Honestly, 7 years ago I moved to New York City so I could try my hand at living in Annie Hall.

roundup-14
A funny and bittersweet love story concocted by Woody Allen in 1977, Annie Hall is the stuff dreams are made of. Not only are the script and acting legendary, the movies mixes 70’s groovy and uptown intellectual in a really witty and inspiring way.

[image above, clockwise from top left: heriz rug $3599,sunglasses $11, rotary phone $40+, chesterfield sofa $2000, potted lady palm $80, wooden tennis racket, assorted books, pulldown classroom maps, basket bag $59]

still2
still3
roundup-22
On the list of Annie Hall must haves? Tufted leather, folksy rugs, houseplants, tall piles of books and yes, a lobster or two. Just be sure to check the self-deprecating neurosis at the door!

[image above, clockwise from top left: lomo camera $70,felt hat $17, antique log cabin quilt $565, widdicomb highboy dresser, classic chrome table lamp $179, lobster $14.99/lb, vest $236, tie $8, bresson rocker $1800, tristano frames ]

1. caroline says:

you did SUCH a good job on this! tracking down that vintage quilt, even.

2. Stacy says:

BAREFOOT IN THE PARK

and

500 DAYS OF SUMMER (Tom AND Summer’s apartments).

PLEEEEEASE

3. lauren says:

please do a “living in” for ANY wes anderson film!

4. Kiki says:

Sarah B, Diane Keaton wasn’t in As Good as it Gets. That was Something’s Gotta Give. Both were good movies :) I loved Greg Kinear’s apartment in As Good as it Gets.

5. Amanda says:

Love this feature! I just watched the movie Harold and Maude and thought it might make for a great Living In. Lots of great ’70s decor. Really quirky/heartwarming film too!

6. Beth says:

For the most beautiful sense of a Victorian room please look at The Propostion (an Australian ‘western’): marvellous blue walls, ebony furniture, flowered china and silverware cutlery with an astonishing rose garden in the desert outside. Unexpected in the circumstances!

7. Amanda Finn says:

I love this, Amy!

You’ve got to get into David Lynch.. I say Wild At Heart!

8. HRH says:

I seriously love this! I mean everything you’ve listed I want! Keep these “Living In” things coming, they are so awesome and unlike anything I’ve seen!

9. jesophi says:

Annie hall my love I,m seriously in love of all woody movies… and this ones is my favorite…! I love the museum scene…

10. Janie Stone says:

This is such an amzing idea…i have spent years trying to recreate themes from movies but you are the first person i have met who see’s the inspiration of this too. Really awesome. If you ever feel like doing ‘atonement’ you would make me very happy.

11. Carly says:

Thanks so much for “living in”! I can’t believe how many of my all-time-favourite films you have included over the past year. This Annie Hall post was perfect as per usual, I just would have included Annie’s weird black tar soap which is available at Lush.