diy project: madeley’s stamped lavender sachets

lately i’ve been looking fun, inexpensive ways to give friends thoughtful “just because” gifts. this year more than ever i feel really grateful to have a small group of good friends (something i didn’t have a lot of growing up) and i love doing little things to remind them i appreciate their friendship. but because my budget is limited i’m always looking for ways to reuse old bits of fabric and my somewhat embarrassingly large collection of stamps i’ve collected over the years. so when i saw madeley‘s sweet stamped lavender sachet project i thought- this is a perfect diy project for the weekend! i think sachets get a bad rap for being too fussy, but i can’t tell you how much i enjoy opening a drawer each morning that smells fresh and clean. so if you’re looking for a way to freshen up your drawers (or your friends) this is a super simple, but sweet, project. thanks to madeley for sharing!

CLICK HERE for the full project steps after the jump!

[Click here for more images from Madeley’s project on Flickr]

From Madeley:

On our return from the lavender fields of North Fork I wondered what we would do with all the lavender we collected, not to mention the bags of dried lavender I could not resist buying. Easy, make it a project with my daughters. They were excited to make gifts for friends and I was thrilled to finally use that large scrap of muslin fabric I bought at a tag sale but knew not what to do with it.

If you didn’t go lavender picking this Summer, no worries, you can get it anywhere online or visit is where we got our lavender. 1 lb of lavender goes for $15. If you are in North Fork…go check them out!

Once you have all the sachets completed you can move on to the stamping. (Note from D*S: Try Impress for great stamps) This was my youngest favorite part of the project. My daughters chose the butterfly stamp and purple ink. If you have fabric ink, great…if not, a regular stamp pad works. Now you are ready for the next step, filling the sachets! Scooping was the ultimate high for my little ones.

I used muslin for the sachets, but generally any porous or sheer fabric works. It’s easy, just cut a rectangular shaped piece, 3.5″ x 5″ or larger and fold together so short sides kiss. Run the sides through a sewing machine, turn outside in, and voila, you have a sachet bag. My five year old helped was able to help me out with all of these steps. When it was time to run fabric through machine she simply pushed the pedal and I guided the fabric with her.

Once your sachet is filled at least half way, you are ready to tie it closed with a ribbon. I tied first the sachets with a short thin wire so my five year old could fumble around a bit before getting the right knot.

1. patricia says:

Just to inform that the link of the shop is incorrect. Should be Lavenderby. :-)

2. sara says:

I love this all-natural solution to home scent, rather than go the febreeze route. A simple, kid-friendly craft project too!

3. i love it very much and love the lavender scent. thank you for this lovely diy.

4. This is a great DIY! My mom would love it!

5. I, too, appreciate my adult friends as I had very few as a kid (read: my parents were big feminists and that kinda made me uncool).

Now, I have a drawer dedicated to little gifts that I have at the ready for a friend I want to share gratitude with. These sachets are something I will fold into the mix.

6. Katie Ching says:

Idea for the sachets, although the ones at the farm are already very pretty. Hope all is well!

7. Jamie Lee says:

I love this! These would be great DIY favors for our wedding. Thanks for the idea!

8. BaltimoreDIY says:

Lavender is great to cook with and make tea as well! One of my favorite gifts to give because it is so versatile and smells so decadent.

9. We went to that Lavender Farm 2 weeks ago, we had a blast. I definitely recommend it. :)

10. liza says:

Oh, this is a good one! Thank you!

11. Cheryl Smith says:

Thanks for posting this! We bought a house 6 months ago, and I was delighted in the spring to see that there are dozens of lavender bushes growing along the side of the house! I didn’t know what to do with them this year, so I just enjoyed how pretty and fragrant they were, but I’m looking forward to next year!

12. Kate says:

I have those owl stampers! I used a different one from the set for wedding-shower invitations.

I’m going to make these to get rid of the funky smell from the sa-weet dresser I bought from a garage sale.

13. Krista says:

Out here in the west, sage would make a great alternative to lavender!

14. Alex says:

Hi- Has anyone made these? I wanted to order the lavender, but I didn’t know how many a pound would make??

15. { kat } says:

i went to that website but i do not see an option for a by-the-pound for $15. I see a lavender bunch for $10, but is that what you were referring to?

16. Deb says:

The previous owners of my home planted so many lavender plants that we get bucket loads of dried lavender every summer. So I’m really happy to see an project I can use all my extra lavender in! Thanks so much.

17. Aimee says:

Can someone share where they purchased the owl stamps?? I absolutely must have them!

18. Laurie says:

Gorgeous! I’m curious, too, about those owl stamps…

19. Michelle says:

I love the owl stamp! I do a lot of crafts and I use rubber stamps on just about everything to make them cute! I have a website that I get all my stuff from and they have the most adorable stuff that lets you stamp on any surface and you don’t make a complete mess doing it. the website is