diy project: argyle sock vases

sock-vases
i can’t get enough argyle! here’s a quickie friday afternoon project for your onesie socks (click here for yesterday’s argyle card project). while i was playing with them i found that the band at the top of the sock make a perfect little soft neck at the top of the vase. i might have to buy some more socks to cover some other things in my apartment. have fun!! –kate

CLICK HERE for the full project after the jump!

materials:
1. socks
2. vessels
3. needle and thread
4. scissors
5. scrap fabric

sock-vase-materials
sock-vase-process

instructions:

1. pull sock over vessel to make sure if fits nicely and you like the shape of it.

2. cut the sock an inch underneath the vessel. pull it off the vessel to sew it.

3. put your vessel base on the leftover socks bits and trace the bottom. do this on your scrap fabric also. cut out the two base shapes.

4. pin the scrap fabric to the sock fabric so that the scrap will go on the inside and the sock will be facing out on the base.

5. turn the sock inside out and put back on the vessel. fold the extra fabric underneath the base and pin it inside the circle template you made with the scrap fabric facing out. when you sew this and turn it inside out you will have the sock base facing outwards, which is what you want.

6. sew the base to the rest of the sock using matching color thread. snip any excess fabric once it is sewn to remove bulk from the base.

7. turn inside out and slide your sock over your vessel. you can fuss with the banding at the top to make it straight.

YOU’RE DONE!!

sock-vases-empty

1. HOW CUTE IS THIS!! what a great way to use the sock that didn’t get lost in the wash!

2. iamlillian says:

This is pretty cool & creative idea! Thinking of recycling the old socks…

3. wenke says:

toal bescheuert!

4. Laura says:

these are simply adorable!

5. So many onesies now have a new purpose. I might try using socks that are more refined like mens dress socks. I think that they look more finished and more like an actual hard surface.

6. CLF says:

There is something very unsettling about cozies of any type on vases. My heart goes out to these poor flowers.

7. Ah! what a clever idea! I can think in some socks that would do a great job! Thanks! ;O)

8. Kerry says:

This is so cool! I can think of many things to “argyle.” Is it a Murphy’s law that if I go out and buy argyle socks, that it will be the one pair of socks where one never gets lost?

9. Ashley says:

This is so great! What a creative use for an otherwise useless item!

10. Kate says:

How funny would it be to give someone an argyle vase with a note on one of those argyle note cards!?
    P.S. What type of socks to pirates prefer?
    Arrrrrrrgyle!!! Hahaha…sorry…couldn’t help it :)

11. Evil Onion says:

I’m fairly obsessed with these. What an awesome (and affordable) idea!

12. Totally cute. I now want sock cosies on everything!

13. Anna says:

More argyle please!

14. Rachel says:

Oh my gosh, love this! I’ve got a bunch of boring, clear vases that are about to get a total argyle makeover. Thanks for the idea! :)

15. These are so adorable they make me giggle!

16. Sirvart says:

What a FANTASTIC idea !!! I wonder if it can work with other patterned socks ?

17. Marie says:

I have a sister who LOVES argyle, I should totally make her one of these! Thanks for sharing such a neat idea!!!

18. majel obata says:

well, why not?

19. Karen says:

Now I have a use for all those holiday socks I can’t wear anymore! Thinking of so many things to put them on!

20. Marty Mason says:

I’m still smiling. Too good a tutorial to pass up – added this on my blog today.

21. sylvie says:

j’adore l’idée, la réalisation et tes super chaussettes. Merci!
    I love the idea, the realisaton and your great socks! Thanks a lot!

22. Alisha says:

Taking off of someone else’s post re: holiday socks … this is an excellent craft for kids to make gifts for gramma and grampa for Christmas. Would also work for Candy dishes etc. I made a vase as you suggested with teal socks with black crows patterend on them. Brilliant!

23. Kayla Rae says:

I love this idea, I cannot wait to try it :D