diy idea: “framed” wall map

maponwall4
maps have always held a special place in my heart- especially vintage maps dealing with bodies of water. so when i heard from d*s reader kimba of a soft place to land, i was excited to see her map-related diy project.

kimba found an affordable large-scale map of the united states and decided to use it to decorate her son’s room (who’s in US geography right now). but, as many of us have found, framing something as large as this can be quite the investment. but thankfully kimba was clever enough to create a DIY frame using door frame molding, corner blocks and paint. i love the way the finished piece looks- especially without the high price tag attached. CLICK HERE for the full project steps. thanks, kimba!

1. Greg says:

Great project, Kimba! I did something similar with some large movie posters, but yours looks much nicer. Thanks for sharing!

2. Sarah says:

Cavallini sells a lot of great maps in their gift wrap line for an even less expensive alternative. I have a few hanging around my house, one of which is mounted on cork so I can put a thumb tack into each city I visit.

3. megan says:

that really is a great idea!

4. yvonne says:

I was just searching for a map and map pins for my sons room!

5. …have always loved maps!

6. Love this! could be used for all kinds of wall art! Related note on maps: We have family all over the world and I made a family world map for my 3-year-old son’s room, adding 2×3″ photos of each family group with a line to the city where they live on the map. It has really helped him understand who lives where and “how many airplanes” it takes to get there: http://tinyurl.com/m2ds9d

7. maya says:

so great. i did a similar project in my bathroom with a map of the principal aquifers in the lower 48. NationalAtlas.gov is a great, affordable source for a variety of large format maps…get your cartography on!

8. Many thanks to D*S for sharing my project! I was so thrilled with how it came out. My son loves it because now he can track where all of his relatives live. I love it because is stylish and fun for a kids room without using a cartoon character.

The whole thing probably took 3 hours and about $50.

9. I love framed maps – they look great in any room!

10. Nativeson71 says:

I work for the company that sells this moulding to Home Depot & Lowes. I have suggested to my director to market various products to women (since PRO construction is in a slump.) Home Depot conducts “Do it herself workshops” this would be the PERFECT project for a DIY female (or male) consumer. KUDOS and great install by the way!

11. verbow says:

A great, inexpensive “Vintage Inspired” Map is the following: Soft, beautiful colors, $7.95

Use color coded pins to reflect where you have been, where you want to go and perhaps where you have traveled w/your spouse, together. Enjoy!

12. mary f says:

as megan said….that really is a great idea!
    It would work for lots of posters that you want to present on the cheap.
    for other vintage or family heirloom types of art (old photos, antiques maps, vintage/collectible posters) make and use copies for this project and protect your originals. If the items are too large to copy, consider visiting a professional framer to frame them appropriatetly for posterity. It costs more but for some things it is the only way to go.
    Nice job Kimba & d*s!

13. Hilary says:

I have framed a wall map that belonged to my boyfriend as a child. He had saved it for ever since he was a little boy with dreams of moving to the U.S. It was so fragile, the paper was flaking apart! now we’re really glad to have it behind glass.

14. Deana says:

that is cute!! what a great idea for a boys room or a guest bedroom!! I love the colors.

15. Lily says:

I did this for my brother and sister in law who both have done a lot of traveling. I found colored sick on stick on circles from the scrap booking section of the craft store and made a color coded key so each color of sticker represented either places he’s been, she’s been, they’ve been together or places they want to go.

16. Diana says:

Her url has changed, so you can now find the Diy how-to of this project here:

17. We sell vintage hanky and tablecloth maps of states and various places. They were souvenirs. They have various icons from the 50’s-60’s and look great framed. We call them American Folk Art Maps.

18. RNLass says:

I clicked on the instructions and although it uploaded 50% it then immediately kicked over to the author’s website. Three tries and I STILL don’t have instructions! So frustrating.

19. Pauline says:

This is a fantastic idea. Adding a frame to a map makes it feel more like a piece of artwork as opposed to a school room tool.