before & after: annie’s desk + charlene’s chair

when it comes to before & afters, it’s hard for me to resist a submission with a good pet shot. and these photos from d*s reader charlene in cape town south africa are pretty darn irresistible. charlene’s cat “socks” is modeling her recent chair renovation- which began as a rather worn bubble chair and ended up as a chic red floral piece. clearly socks approves, and so do i. great work, charlene!

today’s final before & after comes from annie at ultra vroom. annie’s office corner was in desperate need of an upgrade so not only did she makeover her little office patch- she built a new desk from scratch! i love the dark wood against the clean white legs- and it certainly beats the tiny ikea table in the before shot! you can read more about annie’s project right here– thanks, annie!

[have a before & after you’d like to share on d*s? just shoot me an email right here with your images!]

*stay tuned for a fantastic diy wedding bouquet project from studio choo next at 2pm!*

1. Duk Design says:

perfect pattern for charlene’s round chair, looks fabulous (and comfortable!)

2. Betsy says:

Cute little “Socks”, please have mercy on the beautiful new upholstery! :)

3. Gina says:

Where does one find beautiful fabric like the kind on the reupholstered chair?

4. Marlene says:

The chair looks great. I hope the cat doesn’t like the new fabric as much as the last one…

5. wow, the chair looks great! i love the color!

6. Jennifer says:

Such a cute kitty! I love how the chair turned out as well!!

7. Kristi Hauke says:

I wonder what fabric is on the bubble chair. I love it!

8. Novi says:

Wow, now that’s a nice chair, fit for a queen! I agree, good choice of fabric!

9. Pam says:

Fabulous chair, but I see that Socks already has a claw on it!

10. Ashley says:

Ditto everyone else. Where on earth is that fabric from? It’s amazing. And so is the ‘after’ chair!

11. Simon says:

I think the dark wood does look really great with the white legs and white shelf. I also really love the pop of color with the book and the art.

12. Lindsey says:

I’m envious of both pieces! But I love that desk…mostly because I think I could copy it and name it The Annie Desk. Maybe we could start a trend?

13. patty says:

That Socks is one contortionist cat! In the first photo I was thinking, wait – his head is one way…body flipped the other…amazing. The chair looks great, too!

14. Polly says:

I love that new office space! xx

15. Kelley says:

great chair! Definitely worthy of a makeover. Socks looks just like my cat, Cleo.

16. I love your Before and Afters. The chair turned out amazing and I love the little kitty! Thanks for sharing!

17. Renee says:

gorgeous chair! what great fabric!

18. I can’t resist this photo with the cat!! too cute they always seems to find the best spots in the house to sleep and make their own!! Very nice transformation.

19. Stacey says:

Wow, to have a vision for the first chair is amazing, I love how it turned out!!

20. The chair before and after is amazing. Love the fabric!

21. Amanda says:

Man I love before and after – it really makes you appreciate the finished product!

22. kristy says:

wow – amazing redo on the kitty chair

23. Great b&a. I love that fabric!

24. I’d love to submit a desk chair re-do that I did in Nova Scotia for my sons bedroom in our beach house Beach Rose Cottage in Nova Scotia. I have before and after pics, and one of him sitting at the desk…he’s not a cat…but he’s pretty cute!

25. Nicola says:

Wow so cleaver, love the chair

26. Suzanne says:

I love that chair, I covet that chair and Socks the cat too!!

27. Sue says:

Wow, that chair transformation is super awesome! Love the fabric choice used here! Let’s hope that Socks will be gentle with it!

28. kate says:

I love the chair redo – did she use a pattern or have it professionally redone? Gorgeous!

29. Anna says:

i. want. that. chair.

it is so lovely! i was shocked that it was the same chair! great job!

30. EB Finds says:

How do people get such a neat and spartan look in their offices? I struggle everday to keep it minimal, but stuff just multiplies!

31. Charlene says:

Thanks for all the lovely comments, Socks posed specially for this pic – such a show off! ;) I bought the fabric 2 years ago at a Fabric Shop in Cape Town, South Africa. Not sure from where they imported. Will try find out and post it here. I had the chair professionally covered – was way too complicated to try myself! Fabric was about $30p/m – and needed 4m to cover chair.