before & after: a table, lamp and dresser

our next three before & afters are all about color upgrades. starting first with karen from darling octopus. karen upgraded her table with a fresh coat of paint and some of my favorite wallpaper on the market- julia rothman’s treet wallpaper. this would be such a fun table for a child’s room. great work, karen!

[have a before & after you’d like to share on d*s? just shoot me an email here with your images!]

CLICK HERE for 2 more before & afters (a gorgeous lamp and dresser) after the jump!

next up is a lovely lamp makeover from holly regan at livingston and porter. that glossy shade instantly made its way into my heart. i can’t resist a beautiful shiny green- it really transforms the lamp into something really glamorous and chic. great work, holly!

last but not least, d*s reader mindy’s dresser makeover! sometimes a coat of blue paint is my favorite thing for furniture- it’s not a color my mind ever really drifts to, but almost always looks incredible. thanks for sharing, mindy!

1. NYCrochet says:

Where does one get just enough wallpaper for a project like this? I can’t see spending $70-150 on a roll when I only need enough for a bit of furniture.

1. grace says:

a lot of times wallpaper stores/companies will let you order samples, just give them a ring and ask. also, i know hygge and west sells samples of julia’s papers on the link i provided above.

also, gift wrap is a much more affordable alternative for the same look.

2. visualingual says:

I’m wondering about the “after” photo of the blue dresser — were the doors in the center removed to reveal the drawers?

3. greybreaks says:

love the taple and lamp before/afters!

4. Lindsey says:

If you use wallpaper or gift wrap on a table, what protectant would you recommend to put over it? Thanks!

1. grace says:

it depends on how permanent you’d like it. if you want to be able to remove it, i’d suggest a covering it with a clear piece of contact paper cut slightly larger than the paper so it sticks, but keeps it water-safe. or you could spray glue the paper on. for something more permanent, try using modpodge to attach the paper.

5. Lynn says:

the rothman wallpaper is very cool, though reminiscent of a bunch of menorahs laid flat.

always dig big pastel chests of drawers. would also like to know about the center of the piece.

6. Sarah says:

Love the lamp! Can you share a source for the green lamp shade? Or a how to? – Thanks

7. love that table! great work!

8. Alyson says:

I have finally put a plan into motion regarding my dresser from Ikea. I would love to paint it light blue and yellow, but my walls are blue. Going to go for a glossy gray. I can’t wait.

9. WOW! All of these are stunning. I am super impressed with that lamp. I was thinking, ‘what the heck can they do with that???” Only to be truly amazed with the after photo. Beautiful!

10. hi_design says:

love love love the blue dresser. and yes, how did she change the middle section?

11. becky z-dub says:

that dresser is just amazing!!!! i’m so impressed with how they took the doors off! love love it!

12. CrissyP says:

Always love the before/afters! These are great! Where does one get a cool lacquered lampshade like that green one? So cool…

13. Mindy says:

Hey guys! Its me who redid the blue dresser. Yes, I took the middle doors off because they just seemed to get in the way, I painted the middle 3 drawers that were hidden in the middle then used all the same hardware to make it look cohesive. Glad you like it! :)

14. lindsey says:

I LOVE the before and afters! I dedicated my whole blog to them. Keep em coming!

15. Shawna says:

I just found you on etsy today too! That’s funny!

16. diana says:

The table! My favourite of this “before and after” Thursday

17. robin says:

that dresser is soooo gorgeous!

18. Jenna says:

Mindy– What color/type paint did you use? It’s perfect. I’d love to use the same shade for my twins’ nursery! Thanks!

19. Jennifer says:

All three are really great makeovers!!!

20. Amanda says:

love that lamp! was the shade restored as well? if not, will you divulge your source?

21. Novi says:

Love the table and the choice of wall paper. Thanks for the tips guys!

22. Ashley says:

Loving that lamp shade! Did you do that yourself? If so, can you share your secret diy? Or do you sell them anywhere? Totally Awesome!!!

23. Debbie says:

Still waiting to find out about that amazing green lampshade! Someone share PLEEEZE! Snaps to all y’all on the makeovers.

24. victoria says:

Please share the necessary information to purchase or make that lovely green shade. It is simply spectacular!!

25. puddle says:

Another vote for divulging the provenance of that awesome lampshade!

26. the dress is to die for! I would love that in my studio! The ultimate trim holder!

27. holly says:

Okay, I will share…..It’s only fair. Dear Grace is kind enough to send people my way….Will do the same for d*s readers….

When we had our retail store, robin’s egg blue, we carried these gorgeous lamps by SHINE home. Russ and Susan Ortiz are fabulously talented and I am pretty sure they will become favorites of yours too! I believe this particular shade and lamp base (not shown) were discontinued. I am working on a DIY version so if I am successful, I will certainly report back…In the meantime, check out SHINE for more eye candy and lighting to lust after.

28. holly says:

PS. For those looking for a semi-permanent solution for the table…One can get a piece of glass cut to fit on top of any furniture surface and place wrapping paper, wallpaper or fabric under glass- giving you the ability to change more frequesntly or seasonally. Pier One also sells (standard sizes)glass rounds for round tables, making the glass a little more economical.

29. Laurel J says:

That table is magnificent!

30. Ashley says:

Thank you, Holly for sharing! Good luck with your diy adventure, and keep us posted!

1. grace says:

hi casey

this link takes me to deer antlers…?

31. karen says:

The table is for sale! I made it and you can find it at my etsy store:
    Thanks for all the compliments and inspires me to make more stuff!

32. barbara says:

did you spray dresser or paint with brush….

33. Amy Kelly says:

I am absolutely crazy about that dresser makeover! Mindy, you did a fabulous job. This is one of my favorite makeovers. I was just wondering if you had any “during” photos of the project, and what paint you used?

34. Tania says:

Hello! The blue dresser is gorgeous! I have some old furniture and this is a wonderful way to transform them. Could you please let me know the name of the paint you used?

35. I am a great fan of all the rescue jobs and I am looking for someone who haas a manual to do all this work.