before & after: a chair, a bar and 2 dogs

amandabefore
today’s before & after posts are starting off with 3 very distinct stories- a chair makeover, a bar overhaul, and a little puppy love. first up? a colorful chair project from d*s reader amanda farrell. amanda created a custom upholstery job for her desk chair and gave it a face lift with some gorgeous green paint. it sure puts on a spin on that sad beige “before” chair. thanks, amanda!

[have a before & after you’d like to share on d*s? just shoot me an email here with your images!]

amandaafter

CLICK HERE for 2 more before & afters after the jump (including an adorable double-decker dog bed)

suzybefore
this next before & after comes from suzy of georga peachez. suzy decided to make over her wet bar by priming the whole thing, painting the hardware, countertop and cabinet and then adding some lovely wallpaper. great work, suzy!

suzyafter

jamesbefore
last but not least, an adorable pet makeover i couldn’t resist sharing. d*s reader rene decided to turn an “ugly table” she had sitting around into an adorable dog bed for her pups. who can resist cute dogs? i know i can’t. thanks, rene!

jamesafter

1. maeve says:

Love the bar – the colors are so refreshing!

2. Mary says:

I love Amanda’s green cane chair. I have some cane chairs that I want to paint a high gloss white. What is the best way to paint cane – using spray paint or a brush? Can you sand it first or does that harm the cane? I’d love anyone’s insight!

3. Sarah Jones says:

That doggie bunk bed is the cutest thing I have ever seen, the dogs too!

4. Kelly says:

Love the bar makeover! Well done!

5. Celia says:

…and she turned that table upside down to make the doggie bunk beds. WOW! Imaginative indeed!

6. Ok- that doggie bed? Might just be the funniest thing I’ve seen this week. How freakin’ adorable! Totally impractical for my Boxer/Pit Bull mutt, but cute indeed.

7. yuko says:

Love the dog bed! Really great idea!!!

8. Angela says:

Can you provide the source for the gorgeous wallpaper, or is it vintage?

9. Casey says:

Do the dogs actually sleep/rest in their adorable beds? I’m pessimistic for anything dog related as when I was a kid, I carefully made a dog house that Sophie hated using. HATED.

Either way, the dog beds are adorable.

10. donna says:

These are all great.

11. sian says:

i love the dog bed!!! the short guy gets the bottom bunk :)

12. jen says:

ha ha! the dog bed cracks me up!

13. Nicole says:

the bar is fabulous! Love that wallpaper!

14. donkee says:

That wet bar looks 1 trillion times better than before!

15. that dog bed is genius! So smart, and so adorable!

and I love that green chair, too!

The bar looks great too, so much better.

I feel the need to go “before and after” something!

16. Rene Wheaton says:

our dogs do use it… the reason behind the double decker bed is on my blog http://paddywackdesigns.blogspot.com
    I’d be willing to consider a new home for the little guy on the top bunk… just kidding.

17. Rene Wheaton says:

Our dogs do use the bed… Buddy, the Jack Russel on top is still getting use to the top bunk…though.

18. Katie says:

Way to think outside the box on the dog bed … it’s so cute it makes me want not only the little bunkbed, but a pair of dogs to go with it!

19. tracey says:

love the dog bed! the bar turned out great, and i’m inspired to make over my desk chair.

20. Amanda says:

Mary – I used a satin spray paint on the whole chair and it covered perfectly (after priming). I did sand the cane – but make sure to do it lightly as to avoid any roughness that heavy sanding can cause. Have fun!

21. Chelsea says:

The doggy bed is so cute–what a great idea! I’m going to start trolling thrift stores for my own “ugly table.”

22. Nadine says:

I love the green chair. It reminds me that there’s hope for some of my aged furniture! It just made me instantly happy.

23. robin says:

the doggie bed is hillarious and genius! i love it.

24. Justine says:

Hahah that Puppy bunk bed is so precious!

25. Jennifer says:

Love the bar and the doggy bed is too cute! I never would have thought to use it for that!

26. Ashley says:

You gave me much needed inspiration to do my office chair! It is gorgeous!

27. Mary says:

Thanks for the tips Amanda. I can’t wait to get started.

28. Kelly Kole says:

You are awesome! These before and afters are SO inspiring and well done!

29. Lisa says:

so just how hard was it to get the mirror tiles off of the wall?!

1. grace says:

lisa

the paper is OVER the mirrors according to her blog :)

g

30. Lara Harris says:

OMD!That bunkbed is the most adorable thing ever!!

31. Such a great job on the bar! L.O.V.E.!!!!

32. lisa says:

oh my gosh, that doggie bunk bed is so freaking adorable!

33. Laurel J says:

The bar looks great with the drama on top and simplicity on bottom.

That doggie bed makes me want to find an old table and adopt a couple of dogs! I’d do that for my rabbit if he didn’t eat wood.

34. Genevra says:

Rene, your dog bed is the most arresting/delightful bit of cleverness I’ve seen on design sponge thus far. It must be wonderful to live inside your head.

35. Kerry says:

LOVE the bar makeover. The wallpaper is gorgeous, but is it weird that my favourite part of this makeover is the handles? A little paint took them from totally run-of-the-mill to stunning!

36. Scott says:

Love the nightstand-turned-doggy-bed idea! Genius! And well executed, taboot.

37. Angie says:

We have 2 Shih Tzu puppies and they HAVE to have a bed like this!!! Thank you soooo much for sharing your creative idea with us.

38. Angie says:

We have 2 Shih Tzu puppies and they HAVE to have this bed. Thank you sooo much for sharing your creative ideas!!!