the new saipua

yesterday amy merrick and i hopped in a bright red zipcar and jetted across town looking for craft supplies to style a photoshoot for house beautiful magazine (click here for a sneak peek of the shoot). after visiting michael’s in queens and ikea, we headed to our ultimate destination: the new saipua in red hook.

i’m a massive, massive fan of saipua (and owners sarah and eric) and was so thrilled to not only visit the shop, but get to use the gorgeous new space as a backdrop for the shoot. after we finished the work part of the day i took a few minutes just to sit at gawk at the new space. designed by architect jeremy barbour of tacklebox, the new space feels like walking into the most beautiful weathered wooden box you’ve ever seen. every corner holds some beautiful surprise tucked into a wooden cubbyhole and the smell of saipua soap fills the air.

if you’re in the nyc area, the brand new shop will officially open its doors this saturday, august 22nd. if you are in town i highly suggest heading over and checking things out (and then grabbing a sweet treat at baked and something pretty from erie basin on the way out). until then, click here to check out the new images on sarah’s blog (and here to check out more photos on jeremy’s site) congrats to sarah and eric on their gorgeous new shop! [all images from saipua]

1. jennifer says:

great job, jeremy!!

2. Marie says:

WOW! I love this space!
    All those nooks are a great way to create a special personal experience…not to mention a great place to display collections and finds!

:) Thanx for sharing

3. JC says:

What an amazing space!! So artfully designed and styled, and the flower arrangements are just–sigh.

I’m freaking out a little over that alligator soap dish? salt cellar? in the last photo.

4. Dana Cordova says:

I absolutely LOVE this idea, thank you for the inspiration.

5. Eeeeek! What a fantastic project. All that textural stuff fills me full of the most beautiful shiver. Love!

6. nath says:

what a job you girls have! that sounds like so much fun! it’s an amazing space. i long to go.

7. Johanna says:

Crazy cool space! Thanks for sharing!

8. Beautiful, Sarah. Can’t wait to visit the new space in the neighborhood this weekend:)

9. joy says:

can’t you hear me swooning from 3000 miles away…so gorgeous

10. Teri says:

I could sit in a space like that for hours! You made it so inviting… the fabric on that chair is fantastic!

11. Emily says:

So beautiful! I’ll have to head over sometime soon! Thanks!

12. greybreaks says:

beautiful shop will have to stop by after fairway one day. and the goods at baked are tassstttyyy.

13. Absolutely gorgeous new space. I love working with Saipua : )

14. Niina says:

Beautiful! I love when spaces use old wood. We kept the original wooden floor in our gallery and it’s probably the feature that gets us the most comments.

15. kari says:

oh great! this little area is beginning to be one of my brooklyn favs… i am a big fan of baked and tiburon which are both RIGHT THERE too! thanks for this cool new store to check out!

16. Abbey says:

I love her shop and posts on D*S!

17. macky says:

how lovely! congrats on new space!! sarah, where did you score the fabric on the bamboo chair?

18. Eliana Tomas says:

i love corners. they’re that beautiful and cosy space i need to myself. space to retreat in and with my thoughts. just beautiful.

19. Joanna says:

Absolutely gorgeous. Congrats on the new shop!

I was about to comment that the shop doesn’t look like it belongs in NYC until I looked Red Hook up on a map (I’m from California, so the name means nothing to me! ). And here I was thinking it was a trendy new little neighborhood next to Brooklyn or something. Ha!

20. beautiful old wood, and amazing space! I would not have guessed it was a new shop. That is magic, to make something look like it has
    been around for a while.

21. Sarah says:

the chair fabric is the original Bark cloth….the alligator is a little dish that says “Florida” on the inside. maybe an ashtray. i’m like really into Floridian stuff these days. yeeeow!
    thanks for your kinds words everyone!

22. This is an amazing space. Very easy to be in. Love the soft grays of the wood. The design, wow!

23. angelshair says:

OOOOO!!!! Just beautiful!

24. Alicia says:

Congratulations Sarah! I’ve been meaning to stop by to thank you for enhancing my wedding with your talent…now I absolutely have to!

25. Asma says:

The space is great – love the first photo! The little green dresser is great! Well done Sarah!