sneak peek: lynda gardner

by

lynda1
brace yourself now – what you’re about to see is completely gorgeous and swoon worthy. for our final sneak peek of the day we’re venturing down under to a lovely small town about an hour and a half outside of melbourne in the lovliest little town. the house is an old miners cottage and built in the 1850s and is home to lynda gardner of empire vintage. lynda opened her shop over 15 years ago after working many years as a visual merchandiser for levi strauss. now she runs her own shop which is filled to the brim with beautiful collections that she personally finds. during the 1980s the house was given a complete make-over where all the original features were taken away. so when lynda stepped in to renovate, she stepped it up a notch, and pulled everything out to start again. so don’t miss the full peek below -with additional images here – to catch all the great touches lynda’s put into this gorgeous home. [thanks, lyn!]anne
p.s. if you ever find yourself in melbourne, check out a vintage outing – a group that lyn is part of which gives tours of melbourne’s great vintage stores while riding in style in a vintage fiat.

[above: the lounge area that was previously a bathroom. I added the fire place and recycled all the bricks found from in the back garden.  the ceiling I also used recycled wood from an ex factory. all the furniture are 1930’s and 40’s original furniture that I had recovered.  I used industrial lighting throughout most of the house and added all my favorite collections.]

lynda2
one of the bedrooms, the feature here is that the room has two windows, on which I added doors (old recycled) and turned them into shutters.  the gorgeous industrial light was found at a market.  table next to the bed features a 1960s lamp and a collection of old books.  I used Porters Paints which has a very old flat feel in a donkey grey…the paint is made to leave natural streaks and marks….I love it.

lynda3
the first photo, is of the bathroom, which has been dramatically changed. the original one had a corner spa bath and the toilet sat right next to it….charming!!! I pulled the whole lot out and added a claw foot bath which is may favorite ways of relaxing….so a claw foot bath has been featured in every single renovation of mine.  the basin was recycled from an old house and once again I used doors for shutters.  I added the early french chandelier as a dramatic feature to the room. the next photo shows  a rare find….old 1930s scales and an old mirror just casually leaning on the wall.

CLICK HERE for the rest of lynda’s sneak peek (and all the images on one page) after the jump!

lynda4

another bedroom…..I found the toile wallpaper and managed to find enough to feature one entire wall.  the light fittings are just oversized light globes which I love and have been casually hung with extra long lengths of wiring.  the next photo just shows an old oil painting found at a second hand store, and two old trophies now used as vases, also an old filing cabinet as the bedside table. all the linen has been hand made for each room of the house.

lynda5

large lounge and dining room…..one huge room to entertain in.  I kept the kitchen very simple with open shelving and charcoal grey concrete bench tops, commercial over and recycled tapware….I had the old work bench which has now become a great central cooking station.

lynda6

dinning room features a long tressle table I found in another state and dragged it back with me many years ago……it is surrounded by old office chairs from a boardroom, which are particularly comfortable….huge old extra large enamel light shades also another feature of the room. In the kitchen I added a huge blackboard to feature favorite recipies and notes.

lynda7

the garden bedroom was converted from a tiny old falling apart shed.  it was transformed by adding height to a once flat roof and making pitched ceiling…creating a sense of space and light. I found the old frech doors at a salvage yard and had them put in, concrete floors and a beautiful private bathroom also were added to the space.  a small green ex army bedside table beside the bed also features favorite books and a 1960s lamp.  once again the hand made linen. all the wood once again was recycled from a salvage yard.

lynda8

an old claw foot bath and reclaimed shower head from a slavage yard…..old mirrors on a wall feature as a little collection.

lynda9

the next photos are from the library which was once a horrible tiny bedroom which barely fit a single bed……it now has a wall filled with real books alongside a wall of Deborah Bowness wallpaper,…this room also has a couple of leather 1930s chairs, a star light handed down as a family heirloom and a cow skin hide….a cosy place to sit opposite an open fire on the opposite wall.

1. macy dawn says:

dreaming of waking up in this home!

2. Rhonda says:

The kitchen is fantastic. This house has a soul. Love!

3. hollie says:

This house is YUMMY!

4. Sarah says:

Lynda, I seriously can not tell you how much I covet your home. From the perfect kitchen, to the rustic dining table, to the serene bedroom & bath… it’s just perfect. thank you for sharing.

5. Linda says:

Lynda, this is one of the most beautiful homes I have ever seen. And what I love about it most, is that it feels genuine, warm and tells a story about you. Just what a home should be.

I’m Australian and have been looking for oversized light bulbs which I can hang like you have in your toile wallpapered bedroom. Any chance of sharing where I can get them from?

6. Hannah says:

WOW. I LOVE THIS. I’m saving this forever until my house lives up to this. Well, I’m 21, so until I can buy a house, and… design it.

7. Juliaom says:

Gorgeous, simple and stunning. I covet an all white house, I could live here, and I love Australia, what I have seen of it.

8. Anna says:

I LOVE the dining room/kitchen and the garden bedroom. The big chalkboard wall and dark cabinets look great. I love the light airyness of the bedroom. I’d have a hard time leaving bed if it was my room. The library is cool, but TOO dark for me :) What great inspiration!

9. Mel says:

WOW! This is beautiful it is so great to see a wonderful & different Australian home. GORGEOUS!

10. Caitlin says:

Stunning! Love this one.

11. Hannah says:

Where are the red striped duvet and pillow in the bedroom from? Your home is beautiful.

12. ems says:

i want this house!!! i want this house!!!! lol :D seriously, SO FAR this is the only house i’ve seen (in the home blogs and sites i’ve visited) that i really want to live in. :)

i’ve seen a lot of homes that i like and love, but this… it’s like i really want to live in it, lol :D

the only room i didn’t fall inlove with was the library, but it was still okay for me :)

13. Partner says:

Cool! I like it :)

14. Ohmymymy. So much to love in one place.

One thing; would you PLEASE let me know where those shades above your dining table are from? I recently posted about seeing similar ones here: http://tearinguphouses.blogspot.com/2010/08/oh-uh-kitchen.html

and would LOVE to know where they’re from.

Thanks! Great pad!

Kelly

15. Look at this library! Awesome

16. Luwam says:

I bought the book ‘Design Sponge’, and I fell in love with both the bathroom and study room; I was wondering what the rest of the house looked like…mystery solved and honestly better than I had imagined it to look like. Congrats on your beautiful home :) I’ve collecedt a few ideas from the designs and set-up, of this particular home. Thank you for your post!

17. Dakota says:

SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO GORG!!!!!!!

18. Stephanie says:

Can you tell me where you got the clawfoot tub shower fixtures form the shed bath you created??

19. Anne says:

A perfect mix of beautiful objects. Would you tell me where you obtained your white industrial floor lamp in the living room?