sneak peek: jeff bellantoni and kim westad

by

bellantoni1
in our continued look at some of the homes of professors at pratt, today we have a sneak peek into the home of graduate communications design chair jeff bellantoni. he and his wife, ceramist kim westad, along with their pit-mix maddy, live in this attached 3-story 1950s brick house located in the pelham bay/country club section of the bronx. they describe their residence as consisting of mostly modern furnishings, mixed with vintage and hand-crafted pieces, and of course the required low-end but functional IKEA. click here for more, full-sized images, and you can find all our fabulous sneak peeks right here. [thanks, jeff and kim!] -anne

[above: Back Yard Patio: vintage wood/aluminum lawn rockers discovered in our Grandmother’s basement]

CLICK HERE for the full sneak peek (and all the images on one page) after the jump!

bellantoni2
Ikea leather couch that now belongs to our pit Maddy; Ikea rug; Italian decanters and Kim Westad Whirl Bowl sit on leather Inlay antique cabinet; Glass piece hanging in corner hand made by David Bellantone

bellantoni3
Living Room: Jasper sofa from Room and Board; Vintage orange leather bench from salvage; Vintage Porcelain lamp left by previous owner; Round metal wire chair discovered in our Grandmother’s basement, painted and covered in new fabric; Takashi Murakami pillows (swag from the Pratt Legends Dinner); Charlie Harper print; Nelson ball clock

bellantoni4

Dining Room: Basque dining table from Crate and Barrel; George Nelson Saucer Lamp; Miles leather dining chairs from Room and Board; Metal School Chair rescued from Salvage (lone chair in corner); Painting by Clint Jukkala

bellantoni5

Hallway leading to kitchen: Subway sign; Pendant lamp-LIghts Up from Velocity; Ikea kitchen cabinets

bellantoni6

Upstairs landing, peak into office: Joseph Muller-Brockmann poster; vintage London Underground subway map; various faucet handles; Letter G is vintage signage from 1950’s era parking garage now demolished; chair in office is an a vintage 70’s studio art chair

bellantoni7

View from stairs into living room and front door: Pendant lamp-LIghts Up from Veolcity; two small stacked Rachael Austin paintings and photo of our old Brooklyn neighborhood are on the wall

bellantoni8

Kitchen: vintage coffee cups on IKEA rack; Russell Wright serving piece sits on microwave; various cookbooks, etc.

1. I am so in love with te furishings in L-O-V-E with the furnishings in this S.P. and I spot 2 vintage items that I own, the orange bench and the green mug. It also reminds me that I need to find a hanging lamp for our dining room. Thanks for sharing your home.

2. wow! the first part of the first sentence came out all wrong

3. Sarah says:

Beautiful–I think I love every room shown here. I have been thinking about moving to the Bronx and I’m curious as to how the neighborhood is. Thanks!

4. Fiona says:

Love Kim Westad’s work. I have a pendant made by her and it’s so simple. No surprise that the house is elegant and inviting.

5. Kristine says:

I love the collection of cups! Wonderful selection of colors.

6. kim says:

i also spotted 2 things i own from these pics (white/blue mug and rachel austin painting.) your iron hoop chair is a standout! truly lovely home overall.

7. alison says:

love those outdoor chairs…looks like a project from Ready Made!

8. Melissa says:

What paint color is that in the dining room? I’ve been looking for a nice minty/grey-green-

9. Melissa says:

Sarah- I used to live in Pelham Bay Park in the BX and it was great- another nice neighborhood-y part is Morris Park. Great food and a really cute homey feel to it.

10. Kate says:

Thank you Design Sponge for all of the inspiration. This house is wonderful. I have been reading your blog everyday for several months now and I am an addict! Keep it up!

11. kim westad says:

thanks so much everyone!

sarah- we’re really happy in the bronx. we were able to get more space with a small yard and our house is close to the water, so i can ride my bike to orchard beach and city island. it’s a longer ride to manhattan on the 6 train, but i get a lot more reading done now : )

melissa- the color in the dining room is sparkling sage by valspar.

12. My husband work for http://roomandboard.com/rnb/ and they have amazing furniture. We have been going back and forth on which sofa to get and now I want the Jasper for sure! What a good looking place these guys have.

13. I love (and of course secretly envy) all your pendant light choices – and that subway sign is awesome! Thanks so much for sharing your home.
    -maria

14. Emily says:

Lovely and simple!!

15. Kathleen says:

LOVE those patio chairs. Too cute. Now starting my quest for a pair…

16. kate b says:

i am LOVING these sneak peeks in pratt professors homes… why? because i’m a pratt student and its so interesting to see this personal side of the people i am learning from! what a wonderful simple yet cozy home.. lovely as usual

17. ttishbite says:

I have one of those Russell Wright serving pieces… I never know what to do with it. What was it used for?

18. Sarah C. says:

What a nice surprise this sneak peek was! I have a couple of kimwestad bowls from etsy and love them.

19. Caroline in NC says:

Love the wall color! Also, vintage furniture in living room.

20. callie says:

wow—i’m in the pratt grad communications design program, so this was especially fun for me to see. thanks for sharing!

21. ellenville says:

Lovely home, thanks for posting. I’m curious about the portrait in the living room – is that a painting or a print? It reminds me of Gerhard Richter. Would love to know source. Many thanks.

22. Chelsea says:

Sooo pretty! And I love your beautiful pit bull! She has the same goofy sit and pleading face as mine.

23. jeff bellantoni says:

ellenville–the portrait is a print on canvas (http://www.art-hammer.com). it is a composition i created for kim using images taken in a photo booth.

24. culturep0p says:

I love Kim’s work. I’ve bought a couple of her pieces on Etsy. Check her out:

25. elle says:

i love how personal this home is – but i was really thrown off by the two flower pillows on the wire chair?? they didn’t seem to fit.

26. I like all your design and i love this to add in my home

27. Melissa says:

Thank you for the paint color name, Kim. You have a gorgeous home!

28. Jaybird says:

I’d love to know about a couple of your paint selections: the green in your living room (the room w/the black leather couch) and the lavender in another room (wall w/’G’ and wall with hung mugs). Please share the colors/brands when you get a moment. Thanks!