living in: mamma mia!

by

still-11
Reading through the comments on last weeks “living in” post, I can tell my netflix queue is going to be getting a serious workout. That is, if I can find where I stashed “Bringing Up Baby”. Guilty as charged, I’ve had it at home for a month and (eep!) haven’t watched it yet. Do you guys do that, too?

Several of you requested a “living in” post dedicated to the greek yumminess that is “Mamma Mia”, including the mother hen of design*sponge, our very own Grace Bonney. And let me tell you folks, when Grace sweetly suggests you watch a movie, you watch the movie. Because Grace knows what’s up.

roundup-11
To be honest, I’d never seen Mamma Mia before fellow d*s bloggers Amy A. and Grace herself organized a little group viewing. With cupcakes. And greek food. And cute boy gossip. Seriously, this is the best job ever. How was the movie, you ask? Let’s just take it with a grain of salt. It’s as girly and silly a thing as ever created, but if you don’t want to run away to Greece and stay in the fictional hotel by the end, you’re officially crazy.

[image above, clockwise from top left: josef frank “la plata” textile, table fan $50, antique greek embroidery $2475, iron and brass bed $1998+, flagon lamp $168, john robshaw “pepper” linens $250+,Stockholm runner $130, iron rocking chair $4750, antique wicker jugs, striped dhurrie $70+]

mamma-mia-still
still-3
roundup-2
The movie itself is a dreamy mix of Mediterranean, nautical and mid century Scandinavian influences. Lots of blues, oranges, faded reds and to die for Josef Frank textiles. Patterns to make you weep with joy. The only way I can even handle thinking about summer ending this year is by plotting a fantasy Mamma Mia vacation. Who’s with me for a mid winter trip to the Greek islands?

[image above, clockwise from top left: josef frank “vegetable tree” textile, storm lantern $41, nakashima chair $634, cordoba bowl $10, atom bowl $8, strut side table $249, painted tub, woven tray $40, dish cloth $13, marble fruit $36+, marimekko bowl $86]

1. Amanda says:

Amy, I love your posts, and I have been reading your blog–also marvelous.

Any chance of doing a Living In for Benny and Joon, A River Runs Through It, The English Patient, The Great Gatsby, Legends of the Fall…?

2. Pretty please, more of these! I love “living in” the movies! Such fun & fabulous finds. Next up: The Royal Tenembaums?

Cheers.

3. Cassie H says:

LOVE this post! I adore mamma mia! I love the style of the sets in the movie too! I think my favorite is sophies room…it has such an airy look to it:)

4. kathy c says:

I have the soundtrack in my car and when I’m at school the songs go over and over in my head!! Love it and adore the movie

5. Charlotta says:

Great little ‘styling clusters’ – very inspirational.
    Would love to see you recreate ‘Coco Avant Chanel’ and ‘the Ice Storm’… to give you two polar oposites.. :)
    xCharlotta

6. nancy c says:

I haven’t seen the movie but want to after seeing this post.
    I’m a Jersey girl. My first trip to Greece was in ’96. After that I stopped going to the Jersey shore like I did every year. The water, weather, people, food actually did put tears in my eyes. GO!!!

7. Simple Manors says:

Loved Mama Mia – but loved Julia & Julia just as much. I am afraid there was not much there for Living In – unless one just did a tour of all Julia Childs residences – for the sheer variety. Her Paris kitchen was wonderful for its total lack of today’s modern appliances, and yet so outstanding for the sheer joy of cooking. Most of all – Meryl, you rock!

8. Emotional says:

I saw Mamma Mia on an airplane and bawled, with tears, and sobs. Pretty embarrassing since the flight was full. I was pregnant with my first daughter and it was during a tender mother-daughter moment. I thought it was my hormones, but I guess it was actually a good movie!

9. lisa says:

I just saw the movie last night!! I agree it was girly and all but definitely a happy movie but what really excited me was how beautiful everything was and the colors. I was thinking I want my place like that! Its so funny that I see this post today here.

10. I just watched it! It’s so girly, silly, and so beautiful. Great post!

11. Tonje says:

I have seen it three times together with my daughter and we both love the film.Great songs, beautifull sceneries and colors.The bed scene is great,i wish I had that bed and the bedlinens to go with it!
    Yuo have a great blog!

12. mamma-mia says:

The musical Mamma Mia runs next year in germany again…

13. Carole says:

Oh sure, silly, but pure fun.

14. I Love Liberty says:

I would love to see “Living in Hideous Kinky.”

1. grace says:

liberty-

hideous kinky was AMAZING. good call.

g

15. kellyjeanne says:

The island where they filmed this is called Skopelos- I was there in July 2007 just before the filming for Mamma Mia! began. Such a lovely quiet little island- I highly recommend making the journey if you’re looking to check out and relax greek isle style!

16. Kristen says:

I am obsessed with the sofa shown in the second picture from the movie in this post. Anyone know where it’s from/where to get it?

17. Susan says:

My favorite Mamma Mia part is at the end when you think it’s over, and Merryl, dressed in her Abba garb, says “You want antoher one? You want another one?!” Makes me laugh just thinking about it. You can tell they all had a ball making that movie.