in the kitchen with: kristin silverman

today it’s a festival of delicious food! we have two delicious recipes to share today, starting with kristin silverman of the kitchen sink‘s recipe for a delicious plum marsala sorbet. i tried this during the week and it is painfully good. perfect on its own or as an accompaniment to a light, flaky pie. personally i could eat a bucket of this with a nice glass of wine, but you might want to enjoy your plum marsala sorbet more responsibly.

about the kitchen sink: the kitchen sink is a site that kristin silverman created in law school as a place to spin stories about the food she cooked and to collect the recipes she adored. the kitchen sink has followed kristin and her husband kevin, a producer, at their table and in their travels for nearly two years. along the way, kristin became a lawyer, but she continues to moonlight as a home cook in her chicago kitchen.

CLICK HERE for the full recipe after the jump!

Plum-Marsala Sorbet

4 cups pitted and chopped plums
2 to 3 tablespoons brown sugar, depending on the sweetness of your plums
1/8 teaspoon sea or kosher salt
1 teaspoon sweet marsala

Stir all ingredients together in a bowl. Transfer the mixture to a food processor and process until smooth. If you’d like a smoother sorbet, pass the processed mixture through a fine-mesh strainer, which will remove the skins. For a more rustic sorbet, you can skip the straining step.

Churn the mixture in an ice cream maker, according to the manufacturer’s instructions. If you don’t have an ice cream maker, you can make a granita. To do so, pour the mixture into a baking dish with sides at least an inch or so high; cover with plastic wrap and freeze. When the mixture is frozen, scrape with a fork until fluffy.

Why I Chose This Recipe

During a recent week in the Napa and Sonoma Valleys, plums seemed to pop up on menus (not to mention road-side farm stands) everywhere we turned. Returning to Chicago, I was thrilled to see that while I was away on vacation, plums had come into season here in the midwest. I gathered up a good bunch from the Seedling Farm stall at the Wicker Park Farmers’ Market and day dreamed about potential recipes as I walked home, the plastic bag full of plums dangling heavily from my wrist. A sorbet seemed the best use for the plums on that hot Sunday afternoon: cool, tart, simple and pretty. Using brown sugar and sweet marsala to sweeten up the puckery plums gave the sorbet a bit of an edge. Don’t fret if you don’t have an ice cream maker. This recipe, like most sorbet recipes, will work just fine as a granita.

1. Ninja-mama says:

I can’t decide which looks more delish, the recipe or the gorgeous pictures!

2. I’ve been a long time reader of Kristin’s and was so excited to see her pop up at D*S this week! Her writing is beautiful, her photographs lovely and her recipes are always delicious. I’ve loved everything that I’ve made that she has featured. And this sorbet has now made it to the “to make” list!

3. nico says:

i can’t even tell you how excited i am to make this! I am really sick this week and the only thing I have been eating is soup. But this lovely sorbet might just be the pick me up i need.

4. Andrea says:

Perfect timing as I just bought a huge basket of plums because they are so inexpensive right now. I was wondering how I would freeze them…Now I know! Though I’m sure this way they will not last as long as I’d hoped!

5. Ashley says:

This looks deliteful. You have just made my decision on what I am bringing to a picnic this weekend! And the pictures are lovely!

6. lara says:

This looks great! I’ll definitely be making it. Hope to see more of Kristin’s recipes on Design*Sponge in the future!

7. catherine says:

Yes please!!! The pictures are beautiful and this looks like the perfect thing for 100 degree weather in Texas.

8. Whitney says:

Such a beautiful sorbet!

9. Christie says:

great photos and looks delish!

10. Megan says:

The ‘click here’ link has a typo… “in-silvermanin-the-kitchen-with-kristin-silverman.html” instead of “in-the-kitchen-with-kristin-silverman.html”

This looks so delicious. I’m heading to the grocery store after work for supplies!! :)

11. tara says:

Kristin is such a talent, it is wonderful to see her featured here.

12. Yum! Looks, really, really good and refreshing.

13. What a lovely post! I have been following Kristen for over a year now and I am so pleased to find her featured here, could not have picked a more deserving blogger!!

14. Emily says:

I am a devoted follower of Kristin’s blog, and I am thrilled to see this recipe here. Keep her wonderful recipes, writing, and photographs coming!

15. Faith says:

Is there a good way to make this without the marsala? It looks beautiful, but I don’t drink (or eat) anything with alcohol…

16. ellie in england says:

This looks amazing and I’d love to have a go at it but I don’t really understand the ‘cup’ measurements, could anyone tell me what the 4 cups of plums would be in weight please? It would be hugely appreciated, thank you!!

17. Sari says:

delicious pics…

I love making sorbet at home, even if i don’t own an ice cream machine. every week a different fruit.

one great upgrade is to spice it up with different alcohol every time. try ouzo, cashasa or anything else you like. sooooo refreshing in the summer hit.

18. Tammy says:

This looks absolutely decadent!

19. diane says:

This does look incredible and I think it may be on the menu Friday evening.Thanks!MOM

20. lisa says:

… just the color is an inspiration!

21. Eileen 2 says:

Pretty & healthy & easy? Recipes like this weaken my dangerous BBunny ice cream habit.

22. Emma says:

My plum tree has just started to flower (I live in the southern hemisphere) and looks so beautiful. Last summer I made plum liquer, and now this summer I can make plum sorbet. Thanks!

23. Lynda says:

You can make sorbet with a food processor, just freeze the liquid in a shallow pan, break it up and process it in the food processor until creamy. Return it to the freezer and then go through the breaking-up-and-process steps again.