in the kitchen with: eliza jane curtis

This week’s kitchen submission is from Buenos Aires based Eliza Jane Curtis of Morris & Essex. To live in Buenos Aires! What envy! Eliza has prepared a cute recipe for party appetizers that can be prepared in an instant, and personalized to fit any and all tastes. And it leaves ample room for creativity in scoring and peeling the vegetables. I know you’re not supposed to play with your food, but this time, you’re encouraged to! –Kristina

About Eliza: based in Buenos Aires, Argentina, Eliza is the designer and printmaker behind Morris & Essex greeting cards. She spent her childhood in rural Maine and then moved to New York to study design and worked in fashion and children’s design before moving to Buenos Aires and developing her current line of stationery and invitations. A lifelong tinkerer, explorer, printmaker and nature lover, Eliza loves traveling, cooking and baking, biking, gardening, knitting, thrift-shopping, drinking wine, and studying Spanish. Eliza lives with her partner Mike and their two dogs Emmylou and Inga in the leafy and historic Palermo barrio of Buenos Aires. You can click here to see a tour of Eliza’s home!

CLICK HERE for the full recipe!

Why Eliza chose this recipe:

I picked this recipe because it’s cool and fresh, easy and super cute… perfect for summer snacking. (although it’s early winter here in Argentina, I think that most of design*sponge’s readers are in the northern hemisphere, where it’s early summer).

Cucumber Snacks:

Peel several cucumbers, leaving a few thin stripes of peel.

Cut into one-inch slices and use a small spoon or melon-baller to scoop out some of the seeds, creating little cucumber cups.

Scoop a small spoonful of filling into each one and garnish.

-1 package of cream cheese, softened
-1 clove garlic, minced
-1 teaspoon lemon juice

fresh herbs – you can use chives, parsley, dill, thyme, basil, oregano, marjoram… you don’t need all of these, use whichever you have on hand. a few sprigs in total.

Salt & pepper to taste

Mince herbs and mix everything together. Ideally this should chill overnight before using.

Scoop into cucumber cups and garnish with tiny sprigs of fresh herbs.

-1 can of chickpeas, drained and rinsed
-2 cloves of garlic, minced
-4 teaspoons lemon juice
-1/3 cup tahini
-a few drops of hot sauce, if you like
-salt & pepper to taste

mix everything together in a food processor or mash with a fork. You can add a few tablespoons of water for a thinner consistency. I prefer a thicker and coarser hummus to go with the cucumbers.

Garnish with tiny chunks of fresh red sweet pepper

Other tasty filling ideas:

Sour cream and smoked salmon with a dill sprig

Goat cheese and mint leaf with a drizzle of honey

Feta cheese with slices of dried fig

Cream cheese and crumbled bacon

blue cheese crumbles and sunflower seeds

1. Megan says:

I have been scrounging for the perfect fresh appetizer to take to a birthday celebration at work and this is just what I was looking for.
    Light, fresh and delicous I’m sure.
    Thanks Eliza!

2. Lilly says:

I’m no cucumber fan but it looks amazing. I showed it to my fiance as we have guests over often and they would LOVE something like this. He really wants to try this, I mean he wants me to try it and him to eat it!! Thanks! :)

3. enhabiten says:

this looks delish. thanks eliza.

4. Wonderful !
    Thanks for sharing!

5. I’m going to use this on Sunday for a friend’s bridal shower! Thank you!

6. Heather says:

These look fresh and fabulous. Thanks for sharing the idea.

7. Jo says:

This sounds yummy. A great way to use up all those cucumbers from the garden.

8. Rosa says:

these sound perfect! cant wait to try them. thanks for sharing!

9. Marybel says:

Love these delish snacks! Love your pad in Palermo too, I grew up there, oh how I miss it!

10. kate says:

best smile!

11. My husband and I adore your website and we re-post a lot of things from your site on our blog. We are vegan and I can totally make this recipe vegan (which I will because it looks delicious) but we were wondering if you would consider featuring a vegan dish?

1. grace says:

hi! we’ve featured some vegan recipes before, but we recently put a call out for more so we host to publish some more soon :) (vegan cupcake recipe) (vegan waldorf salad)

12. very creative recipes. thank you for this wonderful ideas. i tried one of them. i linked back to you on my blog. here:

13. robin says:

make sure to use seedless/english cuc’s so everyone’s stummies aren’t gurg’lin!

14. Tinabobina99 says:

Cucumber anything is always a hit here at my house, but I love the idea of goat cheese, mint & honey. Very eastern Mediterranean. I’ll try the other variations, too. Thanks for keeping in mind the seasonal variations of northern/southern hemispheres.

15. clerpée says:

wooow, I’ll definitly try next time I have some friends at home ! thanks !

16. lena says:

i am definetly making this for my friends baby shower that is coming up… it’s great to have more ideas for cucumbers from the garden… since they are overflowing at times… thanks…

17. Jodee says:

18. sabina says:

just posting to say hey! love eliza and her beautiful home! the snacks look great!

19. Lauren says:

this looked so yummy i just had to get up and try it out! perfect late night snack

20. Oleksandra says:

I just made this recipe for a weekly dinner with my girlfriends and it was a huge hit. About 25 of these wonderful treats disappeared under 15 min. I could not believe my eyes! Thanks for sharing this amazing idea!

21. Sara says:

I made these for a dinner party and they were delicious and loved by all!! I added roasted red pepper to the mix and it was tasty.

22. These look absolutely delish! I will definitely be trying them…soon!

23. What a beautiful set up! And cucumbers – yum!

24. STELLA says:

mmmm que rico!!! Eliza voy a probarlos….

25. Rae says:

Very creative!! Thanks for sharing your ideas!

26. josette says:

ça a l’air bon et assez facile a faire je vais essayer ce week end !!