in the kitchen with: chris chun’s lemonade scones

scones1
Chris Chun is one of my absolute favorite artists. Seeing his work up close and watching him work in painstaking delicate detail gives me the goosebumps! In addition to being a fantastic multi-media artist, he comes from a foodie family and he got the foodie genes. He’s a fantastic cook! He would have preferred to do a savory dish for us, and he still might! But this week, he has offered a recipe for “Lemonade” Scones. You’ll have to read the recipe to find out what it’s all about!

chris-chun-bio-pic
About Chris: Chris Chun has an appetite for fun, great food, adventure and beautiful things. His paintings celebrate joy and optimism. As an award winning designer (including a brief stint as a chef in London),
Chris has worked around the world including Australia, Italy and the UK. Since painting full time in 2004, Chris has been selected as a finalist in both the 2004 Fleurieu Peninsula Biennale Art of Food
and the 2005 Jacques Cadry Memorial Art Prizes. His exhibition ‘Appetite’ was the opening event of the Tasting Australia 2005 Festival in Adelaide. His distinctive, beautiful pieces are in constant demand, which have resulted in sell out exhibitions in Sydney and throughout Australia where he now lives. Chris’s paintings have been featured in various local & international magazines and he also painted several book covers including the cover for the ‘The SBS Eating Guide to Sydney 10th Edition’ by Joanna Savill and Maeve O’Meara. Some of Chris’s work has also been licensed by renowned companies around the world onto a select range of products such as ceramics, cards & stationery,
fabrics and homewares. His online shop opened in May.

CLICK HERE for the full recipe after the jump!

Chris Chun’s Lemonade Scones

Recipe:

6 Cups (780g) Self Raising Flour

500ml (2 cups) cream (heavy cream)

500ml (2 cups) lemonade (you call it Sprite)

Mix with knife lightly until just combined. Roll out gently, cut into scones with round shaped cutter then bake in moderate oven 180C (350F) for 15 minutes.

Note from Kristina: Depending on how large you make your scones, this recipe could feed many many people. I have found that quartering it, and making small bite-sized scones is quite effective, or halving it and making larger scones works if you have fewer people (or less greedy people) to serve.

paintingchris
chrismakesscones
[images above: chris at work- on a painting, and his lemonade scones]

scones5

1. Lara says:

Is there any way to make this with real lemonade? Or would the cream curdle and ruin it? I always associate sprite with being sick.

2. Marie says:

Yummm I have to try to make this!

3. chika says:

wow, now THAT is so creative! i might give it a try with ginger ale and call it ginger ale scones…

and i love his artworks, especially food-themed ones! :)

4. Andrea says:

Such elegant food styling! I love the contrast of colors with the tray, scones, butter, and jam.

5. marie says:

Lara – the sprite and self-rising flour must react together (fizzy and baking soda) to make the recipe what it is. You could probably add lemon zest – I don’t think it would curdle the cream, but the lemonade definitively would! I’m excited to try these for Saturday morning!

6. They sound very yummy – and they’re simple! I’m looking forward to trying these :)

7. dee says:

Can anyone tell me a substitution for self-rising flour? I’d love to try these tonight–can I just add baking powder? How much?
    thanks

8. Paulette says:

This sounds like the perfect weekend project! Hmmm, and I’m thinking if you’re weight conscious you could try diet sprite and add lemon zest so you could get the zing w/o it being too sweet.

9. Gina says:

I’ve been talking (and dreaming) about scones nonstop lately and can not wait to try this recipe! Thanks for including really simple but beautiful recipes. His work is incredible!

10. darcyart says:

these look delicious… is that devonshire cream on there? that’s my FAVORITE to have on a scone with jelly.

11. HollyLynne says:

WOW. great idea! I will have to try these.

12. kristina says:

@dee The substitution would be 1 and 1/2 teaspoons of baking powder + one half teaspoon salt for every cup of flour. I would add a bit more baking powder though to supplement this, making it 2 teaspoons per cup.

@Paulette you could try diet sprite I guess, not sure how the artificial sweetening would bake, but these are not very sweet at all.

@darcyart I wish it were devonshire cream! It’s butter from the farm up the street. Not sure why their butter is sometimes so light in color. Chris thought it was lard when he saw the images!!!

13. madesweet says:

those look so incredibly delicious!

14. Jess says:

Is Sprite lemony-lime flavoured like is here in the UK? Australian lemonade has no specific flavouring (‘cept sugar I guess!) so chris may have assumed Sprite was the same? The Ginger ale version sounds fab!

15. Katie says:

The yellow color in butter is from the grass the cows eat, which contains beta-carotene. Seasonal changes effect the color of butter, as do changes in eating habits, and the type of cow doing the producing. Commercial butter is often colored artificially.

16. Gorgeous all around!!! These scones sound fresh and perfect any time!

17. Chris says:

Hi. I hope you guys enjoy the recipe. Scones are really popular here in Australia for afternoon tea especially served with strawberry/ raspberry jam (or jelly as known in the US) and whipped cream. And a good cup of tea.
    Sprite/ 7UP whatever – I think it is the same all over the world.
    Bon Appetit!! Cxx

18. Shay says:

You can substitute yoghurt instead of cream and any kind of carbonated drink.

With yoghurt though, it makes the scones a bit more chewy but fruit yoghurts make a nice flavour change.

Ginger ale works really well. :)

19. These look wonderful! I always enjoy seeing any art/food pairing and am especially interested to see what artists come up with in the kitchen.

20. Julie says:

I’m wondering if you could use homemade italian lemonade, so you could control the tartness ( with real lemon juice and zest) and the sugar syrup ( that you could infuse with basil or mint)

21. Diane Maguire says:

wow! i will be making these stat. I’ve never made scones without butter – and the 20min of cutting the butter in with the flour – so this looks easier and maybe even healthier.

22. sarah says:

I am assuming that it’s the carbonation in the Sprite that helps these rise? In which case, you could just use soda/carbonated water (do you get soda water in the US? I have never been able to find it there) and flavour the scones as you would like?

23. Susannah Roberts says:

Chris-your paintings are so colorful and full of life I could look at them every day to be happy! I am making the scones today, can’t wait to try them. The recipe could not be easier and I applaud the lack of butter.

24. Marie says:

Just tried this recipe and it’s great! So simple. I halved it and still had tons of scones.

25. mycookinghut says:

The painting is stunning!

26. Teri says:

Yummy! Now if I can just get someone to make them for me, hmmm. That painting inspires me! Pretty!

27. alice says:

Didn’t i see you on Food Safari a while back, making the most festive, lovely dinner for your lucky friends? ;-) Your paintings are so delicious, i must try your scones!

28. Natalie says:

These scones look delicious – I will test them on my Dad this weekend for Father’s Day. Thanks Chris!

29. Patricia says:

Lovely. A classic Australian recipe and afternoon delight. Thanks for the reminder of this sweet and simple recipe.

30. kate says:

so simple and so wonderful!

31. Helen Dimitropoulos says:

To Sarah, from a few comments back, it’s definitely the carbonation that helps the scones rise, so for the diet conscious, I use soda water instead, and throw in half a cup of chopped up dates, and a small pinch of nutmeg. (And then I convince myself that I didn’t put any cream in….and eat them all by myself!) You’ve got to see my thighs!

32. kristina says:

OH! I just realized that there is an error in the flour amount here: I usually calculate 130g as 1 cup of flour, so the flour amount should be 780g as a starting point. With scones you should prefer a wetter dough to a drier one, but keep a bit of flour on hand for rolling out, and if you see things getting out of control!

33. eileen says:

Can you buy Self Rising Flour? I am a baking newbie, I have no idea what that is. Thanks.

1. grace says:

eileen

self-rising flour is just all purpose flour that has had baking powder and salt added to it. here’s an easy recipe: http://southernfood.about.com/od/ingredientsubstitutions/r/bl40318o.htm

grace

34. Amanda says:

I made these for guests and they were delicious with fresh strawberries and fresh whipped cream. What an inexpensive easy dessert or breakfast. I will say they definitely don’t taste lemony at all though. But still no complaints here! Delish

35. kristina says:

Hi Amanda!

It’s always great to hear back from readers who try the recipes! I’m glad you liked it! I don’t think these are supposed to be lemon-flavored. I think the Sprite is there to add sugar and leavening (together with the powdered leavening). To hear the name “Lemonade” I think is a bit confusing, at least for Americans! -k

36. MIMI says:

I coulld not get this to work. The dough was very wet and impossible to roll out. Any other’s who’ve tried this very simple recipe?

37. kristina says:

Hi MiMi,

Sorry to hear it didn’t work out the first time! It sounds like you may have needed a bit more flour. However, it’s better to have a wetter than drier dough with scones. You will probably have to play a bit with your amounts of flour and wet ingredients to match your particular situation. I used tips from Lucy Young’s Baking Tips book to guide me, funny enough! Let me know if you try it again and it still doesn’t work. -Kristina

38. chika says:

ok, I made the scones yesterday using ginger ale. I had half expected the scones wouldn’t taste much of ginger, and they didn’t. But they tasted good nonetheless, and making the dough was a breeze and fun. I used a touch less cream as the dough got really sticky, but otherwise fine. Thanks for such a fun recipe!

39. rhondarella says:

we will be adding this recipe to the menu in our coffee shop in Poland! Thanks for the great recipe!

40. mimigirl says:

I made these and yes, as an American tasted no lemon. However, as previously mentioned, the dough was incredibly sticky, (impossible to roll), so I just dropped them and they are delicious with butter and honey!

41. Hamy says:

I tried the scones and they turned out amazing!

I did not have self rising flour, so I followed the rules Kristina gave about the salt and baking powder.

The dough was perfect so I decided to use my star shaped cookie cutter to make the scones fun and more enjoyable.

I will definitely make these for parties and breakfast gatherings!

42. I love scones, and will definitely try this soon!! Where can I get good English clotted double cream???

43. Lisa says:

Any ideas how to make this vegan….Almond milk and other
    substitute milks are not as thick as cream so I don’t know if they
    would work. Any suggestions are appreciated :)
    LisaRussell1984@aol.com

44. Peggy says:

I wonder if you could use cider instead of lemonade ?

45. kristina says:

Hi Peggy – lemonade in this case is like Sprite. I guess you could try it, it just won’t be carbonated. Not sure if that matters though.

46. susan says:

After a bad batch with regular flour, I made them with the homemade self-rising recipe and Vernors gingerale, I added about 2 Tablespoons of fresh grated ginger. although they seem a little undercooked on the inside, they are delicious with pineapple-mango jam. Thank you for a simple easy (magic) scone recipe. I’ve always struggled to get tender scones before!