diy project: quick and easy soap dispenser

photo4
when i was at home in virginia the other weekend i was walking around the house noticing all the little craft projects my mom has done to make things look nice. one exceptionally easy project she uses caught my eye because it solves a problem i’ve been having for years- wet, pulpy labels on dish soap containers.

i use, and love, my seventh generation dish soap, but i don’t love the packaging- and love the label even less. not because it’s particularly unattractive, but because it’s always getting wet and then tearing and turning into a mushy, pulpy mess on the counter (yes, i’m a somewhat messy dish-washer). so i’ve been wanting to find a way to swap out the container and keep the eco-friendly soap. inspired by my mom’s dish soap dispenser, i decided to find a new use for some vintage bottles i had lying around the house. one was an old olive oil bottle, the others were small bits and bobs i’ve picked up during travels. the process is incredible easy but i’ve written out the steps below the jump just to be super clear. if you’re looking for a super simple way to customize the way you use soap around the house, this is a fun and affordable project. thanks mom, for the inspiration!

CLICK HERE for the full project after the the jump!

Quick and Easy Soap Dispenser

Materials:

-Bottles (you can use plastic, but glass is particularly pretty)*
-Plastic bottle pourers (I used these but you can find more styles here)
-Soap

pourers

*Before you buy your bottle, make sure the bottle opening will fit the bottle pourer you bought.

1. Clean out your bottle and dry thoroughly
2. Fill with desired soap
3. Insert bottle pourer and make sure it is securely attached.

That’s it! Enjoy your new dispenser and say goodbye to wet, peeling labels.

1. Amy P- Brooklyn says:

I’ve been using an ikea oil dispenser bottle for dish soap for ages. Not only does it look better, but it dispenses a small drop at a time!

2. Maggie says:

Yeah, what is up with 7th Generation’s label? It gets so grody. I have always meant to do this with my soap, love the look.

3. Robin says:

I’ve been doing this for a while. Two cautions/suggestions: make sure you’ve sterilized or boiled the bottles you’ll use for mouthwash (I also use them for my Torani coffee syrups, homemade raspberry vinaigrette, etc.) and two, Williams-Sonoma makes a wider version of the bar pourer for those bottles that may be too big for the regular-size pourers you’ve shown in the OP.

4. Deb says:

Ooohhh…I love this idea!

5. Stephanie says:

thank you, what a lovely and incredibly useful idea!

6. Kelly Robles says:

I have done this for a long time with olive oil and vegetable oil(i always buy in bulk) to keep them out on the counter near the stove! And recently my parents brought my hubby a bottle of fabulous Tequila from mexico and I loved the tequila more than he did (mmm margaritas!!) and the glass bottle is fantastic and now houses my dish soap! Such an easy upgrade to add a little sunshine to an ever day chore!

7. Wyleta says:

what local stores do you buy the pourers? I have been doing this for sometime but am having trouble finding pourers that are large enough to dispense my dish soap.