copenhagen chronicles: trine weng of casalinga

casalinga1
[this post is the fifth in a series of guest posts we’ll be sharing from our summer correspondent in copenhagen, brittany watson]

This week has been bonkers! We’ve (my textile class. I’ve dubbed us the Textile Ten because yes, there are ten of us. I know, clever) been preparing for our final exhibition in a week by putting the finishing touches onto our digital prints and our research papers. In the middle of this madness I met with the delightful Trine Weng of Casalinga here in Copenhagen. Her main staple is ceramics like knobs, dishes, birds, and candleholders but she also has a stellar jewelry line and children’s clothing. Exploring her quaint apartment and showroom was an absolute joy. She’s a big collector of all things funky and modern from vintage shops to hand-me-downs to throw aways in the courtyard. I’d say it works quite nicely indeed.

casalinga2
casalinga3

CLICK HERE for the rest of the post (and more images) after the jump!

casalinga4
Her child-friendly living room displays elements of clean-lined Danish modernism with traces of pure comfort like two owl-shaped bean bags and of course a stellar ceramic collection featuring one of her favorites, Bjørn Wiinblad who was popular in the 60s and 70s (and who I’m pretty sure might become a favorite of mine too.)

casalinga5
casalinga6
casalinga7

casalinga8
The kitchen and dining rooms again are child-friendly and feature bold saturated colors in the buffet and open shelves.

casalinga9
The master bedroom (top right) is just as charming and playful as the kid’s room (below), with ornaments hanging from the ceiling, quirky flea market finds and of course, kid-made art.

p1050533

Trine’s showroom is just a quick walk around the corner. She’s busy preparing for a fair right now so she’s been painting shelves and tables but I found it a wonderful creative mess. I wish I had more than 2 suitcases so I could buy her gold knobs and butter dishes. until next week! -b

1. Lulu says:

Thanks for going back to the old style of posting all the pictures on the same page, instead of including a link to look at the rest. When there is a link to more pictures, I almost never click, because of my slowish internet connection, and the need to scroll down every time the page reloads with a new pic.

2. Sari says:

what a cosy and sweat home! I love all the details… and..
    I know wooden floors are a common sight outside of my home town (Tel Aviv),
    but for me it’s just the first step in changing the atmosphere completely.
    Too bad it’s sooo expensive here ;-(

3. Susan says:

Knowing Danish decor so well, having visited my family there my whole life, I wonder if the bookshelves in the top image are by Montana, that very wonderful Danish comany, Montana.dk

Love the whole look, it’s very cozy and fun and modern!

4. Gorgeous sofa, ceramics and shelving!

5. knwill says:

Love it, I love seeing interiors in which they blend their children into the decor. Something I am trying to master myself.

6. Vanessa says:

I love how the wall color of the living room subtly changes with the lighting and camera angle.

Would it be possible to let me know what paint Trine used?

7. panda says:

these copenhagen posts are blowing me away! their taste is so flawless!

8. Shelley says:

What’s the scoop on the gorgeous toddler bed in that last photo? My little guy has put me in the market for one since he started throttling himself out of his crib 2 weeks ago.

9. Papermoon says:

I love casalinga. Jeg kommer til savner Danmark. Sigh.

10. hoodmama says:

The crib is a vintage Juno bed.

11. carin says:

Gorgeous and fun. Wondering about the pillow on the chair with the sheepskin? Love the textile!

12. Summer says:

Everything is so lovely. I really love the simplicity of the kitchen….I’ve realized recently that kitchens don’t have to be expensive to build with everything built-in…it’s really liberating! Thank you!

13. sunny says:

Beautiful home. the kitchen and master bedroom are my favorites.

14. swee swee says:

The kitchen stainless drawers with wood block top is is exactly what I am needin in my own. Who is the designer or maker?

15. i love the kitchen chairs, so fun!

16. Lara Jane says:

What a lovely home. Altogether comfortable and stylish. I have a few Bjorn Wiinblad prints myself!

17. Belle says:

How exciting to see the Basquiat print on the wall.

18. Fedja says:

I would so want to live in this home!

19. Ditte says:

this is so odd. i live in copenhagen, i have that exact kitcen (IKEA!), similar cabinets to those grey metal ones (mine are grey with blue fronts), i LOVE Wegner (the chair in the first picture is a Wegner chair, i’ve been eyeing that one for quite a while).. apparantly i am not the only one with a mixed up style, in that exact way! i guess i’m very copenhagen-y! haha

20. Nicola says:

Love your home! Where are the brown and orange beanbags from?

21. Kati says:

I have been searching for the Casalinga Birds wall decoration since January 2010 after seeing them in the December issue of RealSimple and can’t find them anywhere to purchase in the US. Do you have any update on this product, like is she still making them? They are incredible and I would assume many others would think so as well. Thanks!

22. capucine says:

Hey, I just wandered into this post – for Kati, you can get the birds at Hygge and West (hyggeandwestshop.com).