copenhagen chronicles: textile/furniture final exhibition

[this post is the seventh in a series of guest posts we’ll be sharing from our summer correspondent in copenhagen, brittany watson]

Hi folks, After 6 weeks of often little sleep, constant travels, and definitely lots of printing we showed our digital textile prints at the final exhibition of the Danish Institute of Study Abroad students this past week held at the Royal Academy of Architecture. Can I please let out a little sigh of relief please? Sigh. Thanks, much better. We were joined by the architecture/interior design and furniture design students and it was pretty stellar if I do say so myself. Six weeks is a short amount of time to pack in four printing processes and a final show, but it was all worth it. Well, you decide. Thankfully, I’m here for a couple more weeks soaking in all things Scandinavian before it’s back to Washington, DC to start school again. In other words, this isn’t the last of me quite yet! -b. [image above: Just a few of my awesome fellow textile design classmates: Sarah Griner, Katie Chappuis, Natalie Apuzzo, me, Amanda Barnes, and Shif Whiteman.]

Paying homage to my Danish ancestry, I dubbed my final print “Watsonville.” I began with the shape of a family tree and added buildings rotated along a central axis and then breaking off into “branches.” Many of the buildings are iconic Copenhagen structures, confirming the notion that cities, like people and families, are living, breathing, and constantly evolving/revolving over time. I kept my test prints in a book I made with a contrasting green fabric and added two more books, one for sketches and the other for products I made with my print using Photoshop.

CLICK HERE for the rest of the post (including all 20 images on one page) after the jump!

U of Massachusetts Boston student Katie Chappuis’ test prints and bag she made.

University of Michigan student Shif Whiteman’s birch trees.

Pratt fashion student Tiffany Nousiopoulos’ floral print and test prints.

Lina Fedirko, also a Pratt fashion student, and her print of curvature of geometric figures.

Pratt interior design student, Amanda Barnes’ bold curves.

Natalie Apuzzo, Pratt industrial design major, wrapped in her light-themed print.

University of Connecticut student Emma Sullivan’s digital print.

Onto some chair designs. This one is from fellow Corcoran student, Darlene Molnar. She got secret access to a laser cutter, the lucky duck.

One of my favorites! Sarah Moses, Yale art student, teamed up with a local tattoo artist to color hers pretty.

Shari Francis of Pratt spruced hers up with a great Marimekko pattern.

Taylor Fidel of George Washington University measured the contours of the human body to pinpoint where the tubular beams should fall.

Tiffany’s heat transfer experiments for fashion

Sarah’s portfolio display

Emma and Katie picking out colors for dyes

1. visualingual says:

These are all lovely, and I especially love the orange-and-white print of buildings!

2. Jenny says:

LOVE the birch trees!

3. Laura. says:

what a great bunch of monday morning eye candy–i’m impressed with the variety!

4. Caroline says:

I absolutely love your Watsonville print – I hope you’re planning on selling it at some time in the future!

5. Jen S. says:

YAY! I did this program in 2007 for furniture design, and it is just such a fabulous experience! It’s so great to see it represented here. I <3 CPH.

6. Ginny says:

so glad this program is getting DesignSponge recognition. As a 2007 Furniture alum – thanks for including the chairs! Inspiring work – year after year. Wish I could go back!

7. heather says:

gorgeous black and white chair

8. Christie says:

Beautiful prints..

9. kenzie says:

Brittney, i have loved your series and I didn’t realize it was you until I saw your picture! I love it! hope to chat soon!

10. Ashley says:

How exciting! I know this must have been an amazing experience and I am impressed with what everyone exhibited after 6 weeks. (I would love to see some of the architecture students projects!)

11. Kara says:

Your stitched portfolio book is really beautiful- handmade yet totally professional- looks amazing with your prints too!
    Sounds like a great experience!

12. Nathalie says:

Would love to have that print of buildings on my wall…

13. Amy P- Brooklyn says:

nice job! A couple of years ago, I took a class where we had to create a print using ‘architecture’. I failed miserably at the project. A friend in the class who usually did misunderstood arty prints, did great.

Heather – that black and white print looks like Marimekko Tuuli fabric, so you can probably find a frame and make your own.

14. Terry says:

Great variety of textiles! The chairs have textile looks to them too. Particularly love the laser cut one!

15. DesignWolfe says:

Amazing design work — thanks so much for sharing!!

16. Angelina says:

Looks so cool. Wish I could have been there.

17. kate b says:

ooh! hello to some of my classmates at pratt! what beautiful things theyve created

18. Jon Hensen says:

The chair with the cutouts is awesome! Great work here!

19. Eileen says:

What beautiful inspiration. I love that B&W chair.

20. C says:

Congratulations. Lovely work! I would really like to see a larger format picture of your print. It looks nice zoomed out but I’d love to look building to building to recognize old haunts! I too studied with DIS! Lived there for 11 months. Love KBH very very much!

21. Brittany says:

Thanks all for your kind words! C, I’ll be posting close-ups of my print on my blog,

22. Cate says:

Stunning! I particularly like Shif Whitman’s work!

23. Aubrey says:

So proud of you Britt! Looks like you had a fabulous summer overseas.

24. These prints are all amazing! I LOVE your Watsonville print – it’s gorgeous!

25. Elsa says:

I did the textile design program in 2005. It was great! We printed everything by hand. This year’s work looks great! Your design is amazing! Very Scandinavian! Good job!