before & after: orlando’s striped floor

i have a major, major weakness for stripes. i like them in my clothes, on my shoes, and on details in my home. so when i saw this project from orlando soria in california i was instantly hooked. orlando managed to make seriously budget-friendly linoleum tiles ($0.59 per sq. ft) look majorly luxe by cutting them in half and laying them in a striped pattern. hello, gorgeous. i love the black and white look and this it’s such a nice contrast to the red piece of furniture in the back. great work, orlando!

[have a before & after you’d like to share on d*s? just shoot me an email right here with your images!]

1. Trude says:

Genius. Chic without the price tag. And it can take a beating! :)

2. Shelly says:

This looks fantastic, great job and it’s super creative w/o breaking the bank.

3. Amy says:

Totally brilliant idea and so well-executed! Love it!

4. Angela says:

holy sh*t! That’s freaking gorgeous.

5. Mims says:

wow. i think i need to do this this weekend! grace, do you have to put anything inbetween the tiles (like grout), or just lay them down right next to each other? and can you just cut them with an exacto knife, or do you need something else? thanks!

1. grace says:

with peel and stick tiles you don’t need anything in between. just use a hammer or piece of wood to push them into place without gaps.

6. james says:

A-mazing. much improved.

7. Green key says:

Wow. What a wonderful change!

8. Katie says:

this is my favorite before and after yet, i am determined to do this one of these days!

9. auburn says:

The results are fabulous.

These look like vinyl composite tiles to me… Are they really linoleum? I’ve never seen the real linoleum tiles for those kid of prices which is what makes me think they are VC.

They don’t look like the peel and stick vinyl to me. Vinyl composite get put down with glue. They are commercial grade flooring and are much more suitable for long term use than the stick down tiles.

10. Sarah says:

I have been playing with black and white linoleum flooring ideas including stripes and chevron patterns for my kitchen that is mid-renovation. Its nice to see the finished product look so wonderful!

11. The BEST! I love this.

12. Dannielle says:

How fantastic! I love it!

13. a says:

dude. awesome.

14. glenn lawson says:

bud, did you ever live with a black and white floor in the kitchen?? it’s a logistic nightmare! every friggin’ crumb glares up at you – you’ll be on your hands and knees with damp paper towels ad infinitum!

15. Catherine Soria says:

I love it. Isn’t it amazing that something so simple and iconic looks so fresh and new?

16. by-geisslein says:

I totally LOVE the after! Great work!

17. puddle says:

Already so jealous of people who can cut a straight line. This AMAZING transformation did not make me less jealous!

18. Gladys says:

This is beautiful, but I’m with puddle- how did he cut those lines so straight and get every piece exactly the same size?

19. casey says:

Fab floor! I am completely confused! Where did Orlando find the .59/sq. ft. linoleum? I’ve beend researching linoleum for awhile and can’t seem to get to the budget-friendly part.

1. grace says:

oddly enough, my local .99 cents store has black, white, brown and faux woodgrain tiles available for pennies per square foot. i would check out the sale bin at your local hardware store (or home depot/lowes) and local bargain stores. i’d also try salvage shops where these sorts of things often pile up.

20. I absolutely love the striped floor! Gorgeous!

21. michelle says:

fabulous idea! i’m putting in on my list of kitchen floor ideas. thanks for sharing!

22. marybinary says:

I loved this so much but prefer orlando’s original post on his blog because he is so funny:)

23. viola says:

I’m a big black and white stripe fan. It catches my eye every time. congrats. I have polished floor boards so I have to do with a black and white stripe floor rug.

24. Vanessa says:

It is beautiful and I’m ok with any extra cleaning needs of a black and white floor, but I how did he get the cut lines so straight? I think mine would be wavy. His are perfect!

I love stripes, too.

25. Marie says:

Oh, LOVE this. So perfect!

26. ginger says:

It is beautiful but it is vinyl! My husband and I went to Linoleum City today and found that linoleum doesn’t come in plain white or black and is a lot more expensive than vinyl tiles. Anyway… that’s my 2 cents.

27. LisaM says:

Wow! Too Cool! Good Job!

28. b says:

Definitely vinyl! I can’t find self-stick linoleum anywhere either. And linoleum is expensive compared to vinyl.

29. sydney says:

What happened to the link? I’d really like to know how to do this :(

30. madamhummingbird says:

I am a SUCKER for a black & white checkered flooring, but the alternative stripped pattern has become my new favorite. I have just found my new kitchen floor. Thanks! Btw, where did you purchase your flooring & what was the final cost?

31. Melanie says:

In search of the tiles ? Any help besides dollar store, hardware stores? Maybe online?