sneak peek: old school stationers

old school stationers amy and brian reed, along with their two year old daughter matilda and cat, twig, live in a teeny tiny (980 sf) 1908 cottage in portland, oregon. when they bought the place it was covered with wall-to-wall teal carpeting along with peeling linoleum, fake teal marble and cheesy 70’s hardware. before all the paperwork was even signed they began ripping out the carpeting and have been slowly restoring the house ever since. they describe it as still being very much a work in progress, but a process they both really enjoy. the biggest challed is knowing so many artists and crafty people they have to resist over filling their place, so rotating art and textiles on a regular basis is the solution. overall they seek out old objects that have a story to tell, as well as having a weakness for textiles, paper goods and handmade objects. click here for more, full-sized images of their home and here to check out more of their awesome new work. {thanks amy and brian!}anne

[above: This is a side view of our living room. The chair by the fireplace was a weekend project of Amy’s last winter using scraps from leftover projects. On the far wall are works by two of our Portland favs, Hadley Hutton and Amy Ruppel. You can also just barely see a bookshelf in our daughter’s room that Brian made out of an old pantry lazy susan that was from a 1920’s apartment building being gutted.]

CLICK HERE for the rest of the old school stationery sneak peek (and all of the images on one page) after the jump!

The image above is our steal of a deal floor model sofa from Anthroplogie we snagged on a trip to Colorado. Amy made the pillows using a vintage needlework, Denyse Schmidt‘s Tulip Medallion, LZC Atelier tea towel and one of our own silkscreen experiments (tree). Brian’s dad made the coffee table in high school woodshop back in the 50’s.

Brian constructed the built in table and benches from recycled old growth pulled up from the bottom of the Columbia River. This is where Brian does most of his drawing as well as where we do most of our conversing, reading, crafts and oh yes, eating.

Brian turned the door to our water heater into a chalkboard we like to fill with the latest quotes from Matilda. The tea towel hanging on the stove is another one by LZC Atelier. The prints above the stove are by our talented friends at Hammer Press.

This is our teeny tiny bed nook. Having no room for side tables we mounted two vineyard crates above the bed. The fabric for the bedding is all from Bolt and Hexafoo, two local fabric resources we love to use.

This is our teeny tiny bedroom. This primitive cabinet had a really bad paint job so we stripped it off. We ended up really liking the effect the paint pigment gave to the wood The print hanging above the cabinet it is by Hadley Hutton.

We found this bed in an antique store (again in Colorado) right after we bought our house. We loved it so much we hauled it home on the airplane believe it or not! Our family now jokes whenever we go to visit, “Well what are you going to haul back this time?” All the artwork above the bed are vintage pieces as well as one by Brian’s mom.

When Amy was pregnant with Matilda she fell in love with this wall color at Tumbleweed, a great clothing boutique here in Portland. They were nice enough to allow Amy to bring several paint swatches in and hold them up to their walls until she found a match. Anything for a pregnant a lady!

1. Teri says:

Anthro’s has amazing furniture! Adorable sofa! This home reflects comfort and simplicity! It’s so welcoming!

2. Cat says:

What a sweet and unique home!
    So what IS the name of the mauvey-pink paint in the last photo? I’m not pregnant but I’d still love to know!

3. Charlotte says:

I’d like to know where to get that pink too – it’s such a tricky colour to get right.
    Especially like the greeny-grey drawers against it.

4. Cat says:

As a “small space” dweller myself (our house is 900 sq ft), I truly appreciate the interior design of this house…it looks so cozy! Love the pink paint…LOVE the door. It is a masterpiece!

5. Tammy says:

Is the chair a rocker? It looks like one from my childhood!

I found your blog through the book “Blogging for Bliss”…I enjoyed my visit here!

1. grace says:

thanks tammy :)

6. Shanon says:

The colors in this home are so calm and the rustic look is not overdone. I would love coming to stay for a weekend visit in a place like this!

7. elisabeth says:

I think this home is SO inspiring! I love all of the textiles and the personal stories behind each item. Their daughter’s bed is completely darling.

8. ann says:

the boxes above the bed are so smart. and what a gorgeous front door!!
    thanks for sharing…

9. robin says:

what a precious little home!

10. Jamie says:

love the front door!! did you do that yourselves?

11. It loojs so warm and cozy. I really like the stained glass on the front door.

12. alicia says:

oh my, how precious and endearing is the chalkboard in the kitchen that they use to put quotes from matilda? i found this whole house so, so inspiring!

13. Julie says:

Just purchased a Hadley Hutton print from Etsy, inspired by the link in this blog.

ahhhh! I love DesignSponge.

14. oh, i love this..! all of it! :) what a cozy, lovely place to call home!

15. Matilda’s room is so dreamy! I adore her bed…definitely worth the airplane ride! xo

16. Mouse says:

This place is so homey and comfortable! What a lovely place to put up your feet.

17. Stephanie Zink says:

The front door is awesome!

18. Megan says:

I would also really love to know what paint color that beautiful pink is! I’m getting ready to move into a new studio space and LOVE LOVE LOVE that color :)

19. I would give me right arm for that front door. Love it.

20. Paulette says:

Wow, that front door is absolutely gorgeous!

21. Thank you for all the great comments! It is such a treat to be included in this weeks sneek peaks!

The pink paint color is Rosily by Behr. Yes, the chair is an old rocker we found at an antique store. The door came with the house. We’re not sure about it’s history. It was the first thing we noticed about the house!

22. janet says:

Love all the Portland things recently. Makes me really excited for my trip there in 2 or 3 weeks. I only wish there was a Portland City Guide. ;)

The house is very cute

1. grace says:

well you’re in luck- we’re posting (finally) the d*s guide to portland tomorrow :)

23. Rebecca says:

That chalkboard just gave me the inspiration to cover my kitchen water heater. I’m thinking bifold doors (has to be temp.)

What a great place!

24. jasmine says:

yes, i am so loving all the portland sneak peeks! makes me want to move there … tomorrow.

i also have a small home and i love what you did with yours.

25. I really need to find a better couch, the one here is terrific! Very inspirational thanks!

26. Emily says:

What a sweet and romantic small home.

27. Great place. Especially love the built in table (could really use one in my kitchen!)and 50s shop-made coffee table. I love these sneak peeks. Not only are they inspiring, they also give you such a cool look into people’s lives behind closed doors. Thanks! :)

28. jenny says:

wow, that antique bed is breathtaking and so perfect for a little girl! what a great and happy little home!

29. banu says: