sneak peek: melanie coddington

by

melaniecoddington1
interior designer melanie coddington’s “girly modern” style is is a feminine but unfussy combination of antiques, vintage and flea-market finds – here all set against a dreamy blue and cream palette. today we’re lucky to have her show off her charming turn of the century cottage in a sneak peek. melanie has been in the place since 2007 and her main challenge has been editing in order to really showcase her favorites in the 1,400 square foot space. [thanks melanie and alice for coordinating!]anne

[image above: Kitchen Alcove –  This little breakfast nook features a photo from brad austen and a vintage loveseat upholstered in Holland & Sherry wool.  The curvy chair is upholstered in black neoprene, a material normally associated with wetsuits.]

CLICK HERE for the rest of melanie’s sneak peek after the jump!

melaniecoddington2

melaniecoddington3
Living room – Features a 1940 Swedish inlaid cabinet, fabulous beaded wallpaper from DeSousa Hughes,  and a vintage sofa recovered in gold velvet.  The wing chair and swivel chair are also vintage with new upholstery.  The oversize fabric shades echo the pattern in the wallpaper.

melaniecoddington4
Master bedroom- Custom mirrors, headboard and bedding all designed by Melanie.  Nightstands are parchment, wall sculpture and console are vintage.

melaniecoddington5
Master closet – Features berry and bubble gum pink walls. Vintage crome chair upholstered in faux snakeskin.

melaniecoddington6
Dining room- Features a custom mirror designed by Melanie, a dining table (a fave flea market find) paired with 18th century Swedish dining chairs with spaced chrome nailhead detail.  Oil on canvas painting by Heather N. Hutchinson.

melaniecoddington7

melanie-bar

melanie-kitchen

1. A very sophisticated and chic space. The wallpaper is great! Is the texture similar to the Maya Romanoff glass beaded wallcoverings? It has a similar glowing sheen.

2. jennie says:

There are few things I wouldn’t do to have that loveseat and chair!

3. Harper says:

Great jobI LOVE the chandeliers that you have.. looking for some great ones for my new house!

4. Shawn says:

When I clicked through to this post from my Google Reader, the URL was wrong: the month should read “07” rather than “06” in order to avoid a “page not found” error message.

1. grace says:

sorry about that shawn- just fixed it. there are some weird coding quirks happening with the site today so i’m trying to catch them all- sorry about that.

g

5. Elizabeth says:

What color is the bubble gum pink of the closet?
    And where is the sunburst mirror from?
    Love!!

6. jess says:

I love this concept! It seems like a very harmonious marriage between classical and feminine design and modern design – which has never appealed to me too much, but that my boyfriend loves. Maybe this will help us to compromise.

7. Renae says:

Um…seriously envious of the closet. It’s gorgeous!

8. Brandie says:

I love the mirror in the dining room, wallpaper, and the bubble gum pink walls in the closet. I just went with a similar pink in my entryway and just love it! This space is my kind of chic!

9. Erin says:

jadore that closet and the wall-nook bar off the dining room! my kinda livin’. good job:)

10. I want to live here! I love the closet and the chandelier, as well as the little nook with the sofa :)

11. Shanon says:

That blue on blue sitting area is so peaceful.

12. Kathy C. says:

I love the dining room. The mirror is just gorgeous and I wish I could recreate that look. :)

13. Libby says:

Oh My! I adore this sneak peek. The colors are so like my own apartment, only a little more established.

14. Jason says:

Seriously lovely.

15. Teri says:

So Chic! When I was single I remember my bedroom looking somewhat similar to this… very luxurious and pristine creamy whites. I’m now married with teens, it’s all shabby chic now! I miss those days!

16. Michelle in Chicago says:

This is gorgeous… but there is no room for a man!

17. Karyn says:

Oh my goodness. It’s the bed covering I’m in love with — the texture and drape and fabric combinations are absolutely beautiful — so tactile, even in the photograph!

18. fi says:

I love the light blue in that first photo — any tips on what colour that is?

19. Catherine says:

What is the paint color/brand she used in the Kitchen Alcove? It is exactly what I’ve been searching for!!!! It is so beautiful, peaceful. Please let us know!

20. Portia Alyce says:

I love the entire look….Very Classy and Chic.

21. teresa grow says:

black neoprene upholstery is a fantastic idea! bravo!

22. heather says:

very fem chic. wondering if the shades in the first photo are IKEA?

23. Catherine says:

Yes! I need that color from the front room.

24. Liz says:

LOVE. So beautiful. Will be checking back for more details!!!

25. Julie says:

Does anyone else see that black Imageshack text where the thumbnails are supposed to be? What’s up with that?

26. Jesse says:

I LOVE that settee! And of course the blue!

27. This is FAB! Love LOVE LOVE! This is topping my list of one of my faves to date! SWEET. Yes, would love the color info too!

28. Nathalie says:

Oh no, I liked it way way better when you could see the whole post in Reader without having to click on the Click Here link at the end each post…

29. Dy says:

I need to know the manufacturer and color of the blue walls in the kitchen nook. I’ve been searching for this color… Please let me know! Thanks!

30. paula says:

just beautiful. I love all the feminine touches.

31. doug says:

girly modern, yes! I just phoned a client to tell her I’d finally found the phrase to describe what she keeps asking for! that’s great…love the images

32. I want I want I want the closet!!!

33. Demetrius Boyland says:

I have three words. I LOVE IT.

Very sweet ,airy, and oh so lady like…..the custom mirror with the small square mirror inside give it the perfect touch, with an old world flare.

34. Demetrius Boyland says:

P.s The man that dates or is married to the lady that lives here will fit right into the space. There is room for two in the peaceful bed

35. I absolutely love the wallpaper used in the living room :)

36. My mom and I just painted the living room this color blue. It’s to die for!

37. So peaceful and calm! Love the color palette…It’s the combo I’ve used in my home a bit and I feel like I’ll never get tired of it.

38. Kellie says:

The blue in the first picture looks a lot like Atmosphere Blue from Restoration Hardware. http://www.restorationhardware.com/rh/catalog/product/product.jsp;jsessionid=FVISUQ2VW12NJLAWCQKSCAVMCYKBMH20?productId=prod1048013&navCount=1 I love love love that entryway and have been hunting the paint color down ever since. It may not be the exact shade (check that – it most likely isn’t the exact shade!) but it’s close!

39. Eva says:

glam home! eveything’s so shiny :-)
    love how it all fits together though, very nice job!

40. Merysa says:

The stand-out quality of this home (for me) is it’s adultness. There is a welcome lack of the cuteness. Another reader pointed out the shiny textures which I’m not sure I like as a whole but I do like the way all the rooms seem to flow together. I really like the sitting room. Nice job.

41. Thanks for the great comments! I’m happy to share the paint colors for my house. Closet: Benjamin Moore 1342 Mardi Gras and 2006-60 Authentic Pink. Kitchen and alcove: 1/2 strenght of Ann Hall #156. Living Room: C2 Paint in Ersatz, #252. Gold bar: Ben Moore Studio Finish in Brushed Gold PT-20. Bedroom: Ann Hall #67 (blue) and Philips Perfect Colors Y3 Candlestick.

42. dee says:

Melanie….is the color in your dining room the same color as the alcove and the kitchen??

43. Actually the color in the dining room is the same as the living room: C2 paint in Ersatz.

44. Amy Hoff says:

I love EVERYTHING about your lovely home!

45. Bailey says:

this is absoloutely B.E.A.U.T.i.F.U.L!!