sneak peek: kathryn hunter

kathryn hunter of blackbird letterpress calls baton rouge, louisana home. she never thought she’d stay, but loves the town’s mix of politics, colorful history, academia, the lush slow life and art splashed in. her partner david cano (a metal worker) bought the house 7 years ago and did much of the renovations himself. the result is cozy and comfortable, and we’re excited to show off the place in a sneak peek. click here for the complete post that continues after the jump, and don’t miss more of kathryn’s work (especially the bird banners!) in her etsy shop. [thanks, kathryn!] anne

[above: This is what we like to call the “old lady room”, I guess because it is full of vintage images, old photos of family, things like that. The four poster bed was my grandmother Mimi’s. I worked in Yellowstone National Park for three years in the early 90s, looking for adventure (a place that still calls to me). I started collecting vintage Yellowstone memorabilia back then. I really like the souvenir plates. The photos were taken by F.J. Haynes, the first official Yellowstone photographer. You can have prints made from the original negatives from the Montana Historical Society in Helena. The pillows were made by Gabriella Green.]

CLICK HERE for the rest of kathryn’s sneak peek after the jump!

Our living room is a warm and cheery place and we like a lot of color. We have many artist friends and we have a weakness for collecting art. On the rug is the top dog of our four hounds, Quito. The work in the background on the right is by David’s mentor, Emerson Bell. He was a very loved artist in Baton Rouge.

The bike is an old Raleigh that Craig Booksh just refurbished for me, with red cables, chain, grips, and chain guard. The bear is one of the most striking pieces we have and was made by David Smith. The painting on the right is a portrait of me done by Mary Beyt.

Our bedroom is sunny to say the least. After a tree fell on our house during Hurricane Gustav (September 2009) and gave us a new temporary skylight, I updated the color to be brighter. I made the Harriet Tubman wall quilt when I was in undergraduate school. The fabrics are reproduction prints from the era and height of the Underground Railroad. The quilt blocks are traditional blocks that were used for communicating to the brave people that came and helped slaves escape. Above the bed is the first incarnation of the blackbird flags. Since then the images and fabrics have been boldly updated. Virginia Fuselier did the diptych painting of a parade in small town Louisiana (image from back in the 50s). (we like parades and festivals here in LA). David made the marble topped bedside tables. Pillow is made with Amy Butler fabric.

My friend Leanne gave me this vintage lamp. At the time I was making plaster molds to make ceramic pieces. I made a mold of this and created a fortune telling doll for my MFA thesis show. (tile in the back is by Anna Belenki). I lost my 15 year old dog, Hayden, this past January. She, of course, was my best friend. My good friend Barbara Donovan makes beautiful pottery that we love and I commissioned her to make Hayden’s jar. It is so wonderful and depicts her favorite things, the number one thing being cheese. Barbara surprised me with the depiction of a card on the front I had made of Hayden as the Virgin Mary, tears to my eyes. The drawing of Hayden is one I made in 2007, it’s painted on an old Louisiana property map.

David is a metalworker and runs an architectural fabrication and design studio. He made the burglar bars to mimic the “lights” in the old windows that had to be replaced by aluminum windows (what he could afford at the time). We lost half of the fence from the fallen tree during Hurricane Gustav, but the gate remained untouched.

The dining table was made by Leanne McClurg Cambric, with sexy legs and all. The pitcher and salt and pepper jars were made by Barbara Donovan. The framed print on the left is by David’s great grandfather, Francisco Antonio Cano. F.A. Cano is a celebrated artist in Colombia that thrived around the turn of the 20th century. The painting is by Clark Derbes (also seen on d*s).

Our kitchen is well used and easy (David is the chef in this house). The tile above the stove has young images of my mother and grandmother. The ceramic artist, Bobby Silverman, used my screenprinting frame to test some glazes and I was lucky to get to keep the result. The dog drawing is Leanne Cambric’s. Metal wall piece is by Robert Moreland. And the dessert bowls on top of the cabinet are by Pam Caskanett Stanley.

1. Abby says:

Love all the color! The dining table and the fence are standouts.

2. Jaydubs says:

Such a lovely use of color! It seems really invigorating–and I agree, the dining table is particularly amazing.

I also love the jar for Hayden. What a sweet tribute.

3. Leslie Kingery says:

I love the use of these wonderful colors – orange & blue!

4. chicellarose says:

Could you share the paint colors? brand? Love them! Have been trying to decide now for an eternity on a redo of mine. Love your house and all its treasures.

5. gwyn says:

I love the use of color, it’s so warm and earthy.
    What a wonderful quilt!

6. Sara A says:

Yeah Baton Rouge!! I can’t believe there is such a wonderful and eclectic home so near where I grew up! Kathryn, thank you for showing that vibrant art is alive and well in the deep south. :)

7. mrsbutters says:

The colour is excellent! It’s been a while since I’ve been drawn to something with this much colour on the walls.

8. Nicole says:

I love that red table!!!

9. beki says:

So nice to see a peek inside a local home!

10. Erin says:

I love that orange color that is on the walls. It’s so lovely and vivid.

11. Mallory says:

haha i love the “sexy legs” on the dining table.

12. Jess W. says:

I LOVE all of the eclectic one-of-a-kind pieces. Although I don’t think I’d ever have the guts to put all of that in one house, I’m definitely inspired to move outside of my comfort zone.

13. Julia says:

how is it that the dining table has not made it into production???
    It’s simply incredible. I really enjoyed the colors and textures in this sneak peak– they feel uniquely louisiana, and I love that

14. Jess says:

so sweet to see a house on D*S that i’ve actually been in! everything looks fabulous!

15. Lauren Bombet says:

Beautiful home! Not surprising coming from two great designers!

16. Ashley says:

I love all the colors. Yellowstone is one of my favorite places – so I love the “old lady room”.

17. Stacey says:

This home is full of life and warmth, I loved all of it!!

18. ooh…massive cool points for that bike! Everything feels so artistic and fun. I love it!

19. John Berry says:

Kathryn is also a talented printmaker/printmaking instructor, and David can do anything with metal. Diversely synergistic!

20. I am so pleased to see Baton Rouge local artists featured! Both Kathryn and David are very talented. Wonderful story!

21. Chelsea Rickard says:

Wow, so nice to see your beautiful home. Also nice to see some familiar pieces too. Loved it!

22. Amy says:

Love all the bright colors! Looks like a fun place to live – couldn’t get grumpy there!

23. Elizabeth says:

I always enjoy finding others who have orange walls. And the seeing a house full of loved art instead of design-y things is so wonderful and personal. Lovely!

24. sara says:

looove the color!! I’m inspired.

25. Kathryn & David: I want my house to look just like yours. Either that, or I want to move in with you!

26. Bruce Morgan says:

You know what? Everything you showed us was a story, not an object. And they were all love stories. So, I call this the House Of Love. Like the Tunnel of Love, only not so wet.

27. Lennox says:

I love your place, Kathryn! Congrats on being featured and on having such a lovely spot to come home to!

28. sarah says:

oh god, that bear head is incredible. What an amazing piece to have in your home.

29. honey924 says:

Your home is awesome. I especially like the dining room table and the Harriet Tubman wall quilt. Beautiful!

30. Kathryn Bornemann says:

Everything is beautiful, just like every memory I have of you! I got choked up seeing Hayden’s jar. I am inspired.

31. Edie Tsong says:

wow, kathryn. so amazing to see you and david’s house and the work by so many of the baton rouge friends and artists. i love especially the blackbird banner. xo edie

32. Peggy says:

Lots of love to you and David from Decatur, Alabama! I am so proud to have that beautiful baby quilt you made for me from vintage fabrics, etc. when Jack was born! Your home is a reflection of your artist’s heart! Way to go “first friend!”

33. Katie (Australia) says:

I wish I could commission David to make security for my windows. I have just today been looking at what is available here in Australia & sadly the are all quite ugly. But yours is a lovely creative house!

34. Lisa says:

The tea cup plate w/ the cup holder. Is this all one piece that you hang it from? I could see it being over done on a wall but that one pretty cup hanging with it’s partner just fits so nicely.

35. Madeline says:

what a lovely surprise to find your home in the sneak peek today!! i think i just fell in love with the Virginia Fuselier diptych painting! everything looks so fun! see you at the market saturday!

36. issy says:

i want your home, but since i can’t have that, could you tell us the brand and name of the color in the living room? thanks.

37. James says:

Very nice – Where did you get the stove top milk steamer/frother from? I’ve been looking for one of those for ages and cant find 1.

38. Eva says:

haha! your place is so crazy and nice. Really refreshing. Love the quilt you made (and the story behind it)!

39. Sarah says:

What is the kitchen countertop made of? Is it scratch resistant? I really like it…

40. Melissa says:

That red table reminds me of Pee Wee Herman. Anyone else?

41. Erin says:

I currently have 8 shades of orange paint chips taped to my living room wall. Your orange is exactly what I want. Could you please share with us the name and brand of the orange paint? Thanks!

42. knikki says:

i am in awe of that beautiful harriet tubman quilt and the story behind it. thank you for sharing it–so inspiring!

43. efia says:

What kind of material is used for the kitchen counter? I want the same.

44. kathryn says:

Thanks for the comments! To answer a few questions, paint-Sherwin Williams Duration home, 6892 Carnival, satin, the counter tops are black granite, the stovetop frother came from a local int’l grocery store, the tea cup and saucer are hung by a simple wire plate hanger i made with a hook for the teacup. Thanks for taking a look (especially all those old friends out there)! And thanks Brian Baiamonte for taking the pics! (

45. Love the funky flair and colors. Great place!

46. efia says:

Thanks for the info on the counter tops. I can’t wait to do the same.

47. Margie Lavender says:

lovely lovely! Can’t wait to visit!

48. CJ says:

Where did you find the lovely green bed spread in the first photo of the bedroom?

49. Nita says:

Reminds me of walking into my son and daughter in laws home.