sneak peek: amy adams of perch design

first up today is the home amy adams of perch design. she and her husband have lived in their cozy, ground floor apartment on the waterfront in brooklyn for two years now, but still consider it a work in progress. amy has the attitude of a lot of “makers” : why would you buy something when you can make it? of course life and business gets busy, but it’s still a wonderful mentality to take with you to your home. we hope you enjoy some of the creative solutions around amy’s home as much as we did. you can find the full sized image set here, and more inspiring sneak peeks here (and stay tuned for two more great ones coming up soon!). [thanks, amy!]anne

[above: Our yellow kitchen with shelving from IKEA and lights made by me. We are lucky to have a lot of shelving in here.]

Other side of the kitchen. We’ve got that low winter sunlight coming in for the little plant area.

This is one of my favorite spots where I drink coffee in the morning and read. The “throne” chair was a stoop sale find and the rocking chair is from an antique store in southern Vermont. The table is a French cafe table that I topped with a wall hanging that I made.  if that makes sense. The turquoise sconce and the cement based light are both from David Weeks whom I worked for for 5 years. A very nice benefit of that is owning quite a few of his great pieces. And of course there is a huge stack of Domino magazines on the floor. There are also some tiles from Xenia Taler on the wall as well as random photographs and pictures.

CLICK HERE for the rest of Amy’s peek (including all the images on one page) after the jump!

Bedroom: I love the curtain, which I made with fabric from IKEA.

Bedroom closeup: I love blue with flourescent yellow!  Left to right – a print by Foxy& Winston, a bowl I got in Sweden, an Ivy vase of mine that I wrapped in flourescent yellow gaffer’s tape (an experiment) and hanging is the Pupa vase with knitted sweater (an old piece of mine) and some flourescent yellow ceramics balls that I made (I guess that’s a prototype). The shelves from IKEA but the drawers are switched for the checkerboard look.

This is our patio from this past summer. It’s a great spot. Next year I hope to replace the cinder block wall. The chairs are from a stoop sale years ago that I think we a dollar each.

A Owl, two vases from Vitreluxe, ceramic chicken, ceramic ball made by me, fraomed goat card from Foxy & Winston, vase from Mexico and wood stump container. Hanging is a print from 33StewartAvenue on Supermarket and a photograph from Ruthie Singer.

1. visualingual says:

LOVE it! Love the light, the furniture, the art, the cat… Such amazing inspiration for my Monday.

2. Dreamy dreamy. Love the yellow walls and le patio.

3. gwen says:

Hi Grace!

An avid RSS reader here. Not sure if you’re aware of the problem, but I think about half the “CLICK HERE” links results in a page not found for me, this post being one of them. The “more” link right after it works fine, but I always end up clicking on the former anyway.

But lovely house Amy! I am currently coveting many a perch designs right now…

4. Oh, I LOVE the throne chair. Great home.

5. PS. What color is the yellow paint? I have a client who wants that color kitchen! :)

6. Emiko says:

I have been all about yellow lately…so I love so much here. Also loving the “clusters” of artwork on the walls, makes for such a strong visual impact!

7. rifferaff says:

love, love, love the blue metal chairs on the patio!

8. Sarah says:

I read the actual website (as opposed to RSS) and I often experience the same issue as Gwen (the “click here” link does not work but the “read more” does). Not much of an issue really, since I’m able to get to the content eventually, but figured I’d mention it.

That said…I love the patio! Seems like a rarity in the city.

9. such a romantic feel for me – i need a better morning coffee place. mine tends to be in front of the computer at the kitchen table – for about 3 hours…

10. Andrea says:

I love the lights in the kitchen. They are perfect.

11. jane says:

I love the yellow kitchen, too! I painted my kitchen “Optimistic Yellow,” by SW, last year, and it looks very similar. So cheery in the morning. :)

I also love the ceramic owl in the last photo, but couldn’t find it on the Vitreluxe site.

12. Jess W. says:

I have a design crush! I love the use of color throughout her home.

13. Teresa says:

Love the cool two-tone effect on the lights in the kitchen!! What a great idea!

14. Emily says:

A really beautiful home. I like the blue/yellow combo as well. I’m looking forward to sharing Brooklyn with such smart design brains. We move on Saturday!

15. kara says:

Did you paint the cabinets? I love that color and have been looking for the exact same…can you tell me what it is?

16. Amy says:

Oh thanks everyone! I so wish I remembered the exact yellow – all I can remember is it’s a Benjamin Moore color…and the Owl is from Jonathan Adler, a present from my hubby. I do like ceramic birds!

17. jules says:

gorgeous, love the pendant lamps in the kitchen!

18. Megan Murray says:

Beautiful place! I love the little ceramic chicken and the mushroom bowl on the kitchen table. Where did you get those?

19. Christie says:

so wonderful! i love the kitchen!

20. Stephanie May* says:

LOVE the rod hanging above the counter with all the cups and kitchen gadgets! It seems like it would save a lot of cupboard space…

Yellow walls = *happy sigh*

21. Georgie says:

LOOOOVE that throne chair!!! And I’ve been drooling over that bowl for months now.

22. This home is the kind of jewel you would expect from the person who makes those amazing ceramics… I love the colors and yes, of course the patio…

23. Wendy says:

Good idea switching the drawers out on the green and white dressers almost making it one piece.

24. Bridget says:

Holy Moly–the bowl on your table is right out of my childhood. My mother baked for years and years from that very bowl. I got woozy with deja vu, seeing it. A shot in the dark: where did you get it?

25. Bridget says:

To clarify: the first bowl on the center of the kitchen table, the white one with mushrooms on it.

26. Kathi says:

I own the same black and white bowl and I can’t part with it! I got it as a wedding shower gift in 1979 and it came from a wonderful shop featuring all Danish items. I saw one on etsy not too long ago but I don’t know if it is still available.

27. Those kitchen pendants are fabulous.

28. amy oringel says:

the mushroom bowl was a fixture in our house too — what a fantastic throwback!! i am trying to remember, is it dansk? i am going to my parents’ house to dig it out… ps. your home is beautiful!

29. sue mason says:

Finally get to see your digs. Loved it all, but especially the garden patio – so bright and cheery. Great originality in the entire unit.

30. Amy says:

Oh that’s so funny about the mushroom bowl. I believe it was a wedding present to my parents. I saw one recently on Three Potato Four:
    and asked my mom to find hers! Then I convinced her to give it to me (on loan I suppose). We used to eat salad out of it every night.

31. cake. says:

such a beautiful home. i love all the pops of fluorescent yellow.

32. Sue says:

Love your little patio and that throne chair is totally groovy..I want! You have a very lovely home.

33. sally says:

amy, is the bar above the sink just from ikea? i need one of those too in my cramped kitchen!

34. Amy says:

I am pretty sure it is from Ikea.

35. Eva says:

love the chicken you made.

36. jordan says:

love your work and your apt!

37. claire says:

the yellow kitchen is just lovely. i love the colors you chose!

38. Megan says:

Whoa! That mushroom bowl! My mom had one just like it…brings back childhood memories. LOVE your site. You do beautiful work. Saw you featured on Dooce.

39. Rachael says:

I LOVE your rocking chair. Any information on the history/maker? Or perhaps the name of the store where you purchased it? I would love to find one similar for my baby’s nursery.

40. Susanna says:

About that MUSHROOM BOWL:
    It was made by finnish company called FINEL, propably in the sixties or the seventies and the pattern was designed by lady called ESTERI TOMULA.

41. Susanna says:

I have to correct my previous post as the copany that made the mushroom bowl was Wärtsilä/Arabia and their enamelware was called Finel! Sorry!
    Esteri Tomula drew loads of lovely patterns that were used on pots and pans as well as on dinnerware made by Arabia.

42. jane says:

I have a question about the rocking chair too! I actually have one that looks exactly the same (sorry, Rachael, I got it on craigslist). Mine is marked “Made in Yugoslavia” but that’s the only distinguishing info, and I have always wanted to know more about it.

Anyway, lovely home, Amy! You make the only nice, modern hanging planters I ever see, and one day I will have to get one.

43. tiffany says:

what material are the countertops? it almost looks like they’re stainless steel with a wooden frame…