Sneak Peek – Foster’s

fosters_1
Philadelphia Home Magazine editor, Lauren McCutcheon, was gracious enough to share this Philadelphia based sneak peek featured in the current issue. Ken Foster and Larry Lantz, the great minds behind the hip Foster’s Homeware store in Philadelphia, turned this once-working farmhouse into a country respite where they can escape city-life and take in some wildlife. They began by painstakingly revealing the home’s original, simple lines and then filled it with wonderful finds from local antique shops and their own shop. The end result pays homage to the home’s history while maintaining an updated, modernized feel.

(Special thanks to Steve Giralt for allowing us to use his beautiful photographs)

fosters_2
[A farmhouse table from Ikea is pared with modern aluminum chairs. After coming to the realization that their modern dishes would look out of place, Ken and Larry started collecting brown-and-white transferware.]

fosters_3
[The front parlor is adorned with a beautiful collection of mid-century white vases that pop from the chocolate brown color of the built-in shelves.]

fosters_4
[Once the attic, the master bedroom is a cozy sanctuary away from the many guests they often host.]

fosters_5
[Ken, with his basement full of decorative accessories, creates and recreates small vignettes throughout the house. A mini bar is composed of old and new decanters.]

fosters_6
[Charley Harper silkscreens adorn the wall of the living room. A window peeks into the kitchen.]

fosters_7

1. Camille says:

I love this! The home is beautiful and such a great blend of old and new. As a transplant to Philly, I’m lucky enough to be able to pick up the magazine so I can see the rest of the awesome space!

2. visualingual says:

Wow, I love this home, especially the fireplace wall and your Charley Harper prints! BTW, there’s an exhibit of his original paintings that’s opening next Saturday in a gallery in Montgomery, OH [just north of Cincinnati]. Hopefully it will travel to other galleries, because it’s something that will be of interest to a lot of people.

3. You should also make sure to check out the store, Foster’s. They are so friendly and well-stocked!

4. Anna @ D16 says:

Great house and great dogs! :)

So fun to see that Fir Tree wallpaper in someone else’s house, too!!

5. Brie says:

wow…color scheme win

6. Jalyn says:

lovely! and what is the paint color of the bedroom walls?

7. DesignerKim says:

The beagle pillow! I must have it! Can someone post a source? Thanks!!

8. Uncle Beefy says:

God love their hearts. I don’t know how on earth they function in such a disheveled mess but at least they’re trying. This kind of suffering builds character though. ;)

Um, guys, if you’re in the market for a new best friend? I just happen to have an opening. Call me! Happy to come stay at your place for a bit… y’know just to make sure this is all gonna work out.

Related sidenote: My house is a disaster. I feel great now. Thanks. ;)

9. PleinJane says:

Fun, funky home — and I love the beagle pillow, too. (My own, Sami, says hello to the sweeties here…)

10. PleinJane says:

DesignerKim, you can find the “Beagle Bailey” pillow at http://www.barkerandmeowsky.com. Look under the Home tab (several pages in).

11. kiki says:

that kitchen!! swoon! perfect mix of modern and traditional…thank you for staying true to the bones of the house!!! beautiful!

12. Gretchen says:

I just read the full article by Caroline Tiger at Philly mag (http://www.phillymag.com/articles/country_modern/) and the house really rocks. Love the vintage globes in the library!

13. Paulette says:

Any chance they’re renting out the bedroom? I’m thinking I could happily read, write, and live there for a forever or two.

14. ianna says:

I am in complete awe of your kitchen, it is exactly how I’d love my kitchen to look, and pretty much my entire home too! What marvelous taste you gents have, I thoroughly enjoyed looking at your gorgeous home.

15. Rosa says:

Beautiful! I’d also really love to know what paint was used in that bedroom. I’ve been looking for just that perfect blue for awhile.

16. PhillyLass says:

Love, love, love this place! And love their shop, too!

17. Kate Donegan says:

If you love the store – and the genius of these two guys – get yourself to their website – it’s fantastic as well!

18. jd says:

As a former Philadelphia resident, i’m really excited to see the Foster’s guys getting some acknowledgment for their hard work and dedication to good design. I thought it might interest everyone to know about another pivotal member of that photoshoot: the stylist who assembled all the lovely interiors. Her name is Barbara Botting, and she’s another great asset to the Philly design community–a multi-skilled stylist, jewelry + textile designer, and fine artist.

19. Great house, guys! Particularly love the splashes of blue and the white pottery collection against the brown walls. (My whiteware rests against light green walls.) For more cool blue notes: http://jgkitchens.blogspot.com/2009/07/color-notes-roomful-of-blues.html

20. kim says:

That last picture is so charming :)

21. Kristy says:

Does ANYONE know where I can find that blue/green quilt (or something similar). I lovelovelove it.

22. Looks wonderful design team! Great use of the space and the proportions are dead on!

23. DesignerKim says:

Thanks PleinJane! How did I not know about that fabulous site?!

24. Jenn says:

I LOVE the bedroom wall color and need to know the name! Fabulous job on the entire house !

25. Rebecca says:

I, too, would LOVE to know the name of the bedroom color.. It is awesome….

26. Annie says:

Is there anyway someone could post the paint colors? I’m in love with all of them!!!

27. Dana says:

I love the quilt in the bed room!