sketch mornings with alex

3471141149_8a5d129862_o
[this week one of my favorite illustrators, alex eben meyer, is joining us in the morning to share sketches from his trips to brooklyn coffee shops. click here to see him in action…]

coffeeshop // rabbit hole: (image above) i’ve only been to the rabbit hole this one time, and truth be told, i am not sure if it’s a coffeeshop, cafe or restaurant. that said, they have a lovely backyard, and as summer approaches, the more opportunities for outdoor drawing, the better. the rolled raspberry scone was amazing, and the hodgepodge of chairs was entertaining drawing, i shall return. (d*s guest blog score: 4 out of 5 sketchbooks)

3471952592_497cbe9135_o
3471952350_b8d7582a53_o
3471140887_9277e86bfa_o
coffeeshop // rabbit hole: (three images above) i’ve only been to the rabbit hole this one time, and truth be told, i am not sure if it’s a coffeeshop, cafe or restaurant. that said, they have a lovely backyard, and as summer approaches, the more opportunities for outdoor drawing, the better. the rolled raspberry scone was amazing, and the hodgepodge of chairs was entertaining drawing, i shall return. (d*s guest blog score: 4 out of 5 sketchbooks)

1. Kristy says:

fantastic! I can’t wait to see more!

2. k says:

I believe hand-drawn sketches of places reveal an intense reality different from what photos convey – I love how direct and personal the strokes feel. My friend blogs his daily sketches of Florida, which have a similar effect on me:

3. Laura says:

I simply adore these drawings! Sketching in coffee shops is one of my favorite activities – not only is it relaxing and stimulating at the same time to sit for hours and draw the people and the environment, but it’s also entertainment as well – great peoplewatching. and i love alex’s drawings!

4. Annie says:

Alex, I absolutely love your illustrations, and give kudos to Grace for inviting this great partnership!
    You should sketch at Second Stop in W.burg. Not only is the coffee amazing (“hair bending”- my requisite morning call), the interiors are eclectic and inspiring!

5. Shelley says:

I love the sketches! Thanks for sharing them with us. I’ll have to try searching out some interesting little coffee shops. The ones closest to me are all Starbucks. Still good for people watching, but not as atmospheric.

6. @annie – done and done. i’ve been enjoying second stop a bit of late.

7. Manette says:

Love your work. You should try cafe 817 in Old Oakland, CA. Yes, Oakland. If your travel bring you to the Bay Area, let me know, you won’t be dissappointed.