moomah: creative arts cafe + diy mouse toy project

moomah1
i get a real kick out of seeing creative people combine forces to bring something good into the world. so i was thrilled to hear from jacqueline schmidt of screech owl design (click here and here to see her beautiful homes) about a new project called “moomah” she’s working on with tracey stewart.

moomah2
moomah is a creative arts cafe in the tribeca neighborhood of manhattan that focuses on providing classes, nutritious food (served in fun ways), and art exhibitions, among many other resources. i was blown away by not only the gorgeous interiors (i’d like to move in, pronto), but the idea of providing such a safe, positive environment for people of all ages to come and learn, make and create. and then you throw in jacqueline from screech owl? i’m sold.

moomah3
moomah5
so many aspects of moomah‘s classes and interiors involve diy projects (like the gorgeous epoxy tables) that i thought it would be fun to not only introduce moomah to the creative community, but share a fun project that’s perfect for little or big hands- provided you have a cat (or dog) at home that would like to play. even if you don’t have a pet, this project makes for a fun hand-made toy that can be used as decoration, or a gift for the pet-lover in your life.

moomah4
mouse-toy
i’m going to see if i can wrangle the moomah crowd into shooting a diy video with me for d*s so stay tuned for much more on moomah in the coming weeks. congrats to jacqueline, tracey and everyone at moomah on their new venture! [interior shots of moomah by kim cornelison]

CLICK HERE for the full project instructions (and more images from moomah) after the jump!

DIY Cat Toy from Moomah

*Click here to download the instructions with images instead*

shot-1
Step One: Flatten your flag shaped peice of wool on a hard surface. Grab the long narrow tail, as above.

shot-2_1
Step Two: Starting with the tail, roll tightly and evenly to the opposite end.

shot-3_2
Step Three: When the wool is rolled , hold it tightly while you pick up the separate woolen tie.

shot-4_3
Step Four: Wrap the woolen tie around the top of the mouse’s body. (opposite the tail.)

shot-5_4
Step Five: Pull the woolen tie tightly and make a knot to form the mouse’s ears.

shot-6_5
Step Six: Congratulations, you are done! To celebrate, find a pet that you would like to share your recycled do-it-yourself toy with, and the two of you can play!

[more interior shots of moomah- below- by kim cornelison]

shadow-1_1
[image above: shadow boxes at moomah]

porthole

1. Kate Schweitzer says:

Does anyone know the designer of the metal stools in the photo? They have them at Gorilla coffee in Park Slope too and I have been dying to get a couple of them. Thanks!

2. Paulette says:

Can’t really add anything to what everyone’s already said except gorgeous, gorgeous, gorgeous!

3. Missy K says:

I love the school chairs, too! I would love a set for my craft room or kitchen. Those are so adorable.

4. Jennifer says:

I’m lucky enough to live near Moomah and so I do live at Moomah. It’s even more special than it looks. I’ve asked some of the above questions and gotten the answers. The prints are on sale there. The fabric is there own creation and it also comes in a wrapping paper and a tissue. The stools are from the sundance catalog. Didn’t ask about the concrete tables, wire baskets, or school chairs but I’ll get on it.

5. Chase says:

The food is great! Love the t-shirts!

6. Beth says:

The concept of this store is sooo cool. If I had even an ounce of entrepreneurial blood in me I’d want to do something similar. Ever think of setting up franchises?

7. Margot says:

I’m intrigued by this idea and the response it has generated here. I find my craft projects to be very personal outlets for my need to create and indulge in the creative process. I wouldn’t know what to do with so many onlookers and well wishers.

8. rachel says:

what a beautiful set up! love the graphics and color palette!

rachel Dd

9. tada! shop says:

our kids’ shadow boxes made at Moomah are treasures. each one and they ask us to go back all the time! we love it there so much we asked tracey stewart to share with us how to bring creativity into our homes as we enter summer vacation! from pencils for little hands to background music, she shares!

10. Jade says:

Ooooh…I love the little black & white piggies grazing beneath the one shadow box house!
    :) Jade

11. Andie says:

The PDF is no longer an active link, is this still available?