Mini crochet baskets

Hi again! The project I am sharing today is a small one, mini crochet baskets. They are so quick to make and use up little bits of twine and string. One of my favorite places to buy yarn is Habu Textiles. What’s great about the showroom here in NYC is that they let you buy very small amounts, little leftover skeins and balls, perfect for a project like this. I have over the years bought way too many!

These are small baskets that could be used to store stationery items, paperclips, coins, buttons, etc. They could easily be made bigger by scaling up the crochet hook and twine. It’s fun to make the mini ones in multiples. I also have made these in the past for business card holders when I do craft sales. Enjoy!

CLICK HERE for the full project after the jump!

Crochet pattern

Note: This pattern can be worked either crocheting through the back loop of each single crochet or the entire stitch, I did both and each gives a different look.

Chain 4 and slip stitch into the first chain to form a ring.

Round 1: Make 8 single crochets (sc) into the ring, mark the first stitch of the next round with a removable marker.

Round 2: Make 2 sc into each stitch to end of round.

Round 3: *1 sc into next stitch, 2 sc into next stitch, repeat from * to end of round.

Round 4: *1 sc into next 2 stitches, 2 sc into next stitch, repeat from * to end of round.

Round 5: *1 sc into next 3 stitches, 2 sc into next stitch, repeat from * to end of round.

Continue to work in this pattern, each round adding one stitch between the increases until the bottom is desired size (mine are 3″ diameter). Move stitch marker to current position in work. For sides, continue 1 sc in each stitch without increasing until desired height (mine are about 1.5″ tall). To change colors, add new yarn where the round begins, cut old yarn end to about 3″ and then work over yarn end with new color for a few stitches. This avoids having to weave in loose ends later. At the end of the final round, cut the yarn and pull the tail through the last stitch. Remove marker, steam if desired.

1. enhabiten says:

so cute. i love her projects so far. and they are on my list of gifty ideas now.

2. Connie says:

I love this! The thread looks really small. I have to make some of these now.
    BTW love your site.

3. Katie says:

So cute! Can’t wait to try!

4. Gin says:

Cute! And tiny! How do they keep from collapsing onto themselves? Is it the sturdiness of the twine that gives them the shape?

5. Theses are cool, I wonder if the same material will make a good hat.

6. Brenda says:

Love these! And now I know what my office Christmas gifties will be. Thanks for sharing – they really are great.

7. Tori says:

I love these baskets. They have such great texture. What size hook do you use? Oh, and is the material similar to raffia?

8. Gretchen says:

Excellent gift idea. I will take my crochet hooks out of storage & give it a try.

9. Kathleen says:

I love these bowls. So darling and the colors are inspiring me to pick up my hook again. I’m adding this to my collection of ‘must-do’ projects. Thanks for sharing.

10. nynke says:

try to use diffrent materials. like shoppping bags cut in to strips.

11. joav10 says:

What size needle and which yarn did you use? These are so cute.

12. Catherine says:

I wish I could crochet!!!! Time to learn ….. I love these.

13. caroladas says:

I love it. I’ll try do it . Thanks for the tutorial.

14. Sara Rivka says:

So interesting, I had in mind to do exactly the same project and post it on my blog! Another twist on this project is to use chunky wool and then “felt” the bowls for a great look.

15. Laura says:

Thanks! I am looking forward to trying this.

16. Shelley says:

Super cute & fun! It’ll be a great way for me to practice my crocheting. Thanks for posting. I like Sara Rivika’s twist on this project, as well.

17. Dee Mallon says:

Thank you! These are adorable…

18. ninigirl says:

Hey there, I cannot seem to find needle size and thread type. Please update. T
    Thank you!! the pattern looks super easy.

19. Sonya says:

Thank you for the pattern. These are great!!

20. Shyla says:

I love these baskets! What a great idea for Easter for my older children. I wasnt able to see the hook size….Would you please let me know? Thank you for sharing.

21. Aren’t these the niftiest things to make. I love crocheting baskets.

22. Thanks for the pattern…i loved making these and have made them as gifts….i’ve put some pictures up on my blog here :)

23. Noha says:

The baskets are adorable. When I saw them I knew I must make these. Thank you for the pattern. I’ve been searching for basket patterns for a while. I added your pictures to my blog and when I finish one basket I will add pictures. Thanks again

24. sara says:

what type of string are you using? Is it hemp? And what size needle, please?! :)

25. Sarah says:

I too am quite interested in the fiber you used and the crochet hook size. They are adorable.

26. Juanita Rynearson says:

This is a lovely creation of baskets, however those of us who are attracted to the baskets need a little more help such as what is the fibre and the size of the hook. This can make or break a person if they don’t know. Thank you for the beautiful designs. When a pattern hits me that is the first thing that I look for size and fibre.

27. love this idea
    they are easy to wash and reuse for so many things like candy peanuts bread

28. Juanita Rynearson says:

I discovered some cotton string and have made these baskets. After they are all crocheted I use liquid starch and saturate them and let them dry for a couple of days and them they are really hard and durable. Beautifully baskets.

29. Juanita Rynearson says:

I have made more baskets, however I have made a 3d basket. I figured a way to create a design on the outside of the basket without cutting thread. It is awesome. I pull the thread to the outside and chain 10 and slip stitch the design onto the basket. I am the kind of person to try something new.

30. Wanda Parker says:

size yarn and needle please! small town not much in the way of choices for yarn. or thread

31. Lisa Belt says:

I love these! Perfect plane ride project!

32. Silvina says:

Great! to my “must do” list… jeje ;)

33. Belinda says:

What is the best product to use to stiffen the basket when finished making it?

34. ginger says:

Do you use anything to help them stand up? Size needle ? I am looking for my mom a project but she is older and I am not sure about this project.

35. Lisa says:

starching them and then spraying them with polyurethane should make them very durable and ‘stiff’.

36. Pat says:

What yarn and what needle size – I know others have asked, but I haven’t seen it anywhere. Thanks.

37. Judy says:

I would also like to know what yarn and needle size to use. Also, can you make a bigger bowl with this pattern?

38. annie4313 says:

I am going to ask the same question. What size yarn and needle?

39. Mary says:

Has anybody received a response on the size yarn and needle used??

40. Joy says:

I haven’t seen a response to the yarn size/needle questions, but I would recommend starting with your favorite cotton or cotton blend yarn (washes well) and go with the hook size that is recommended for that particular yarn. I just made a little basket with a 3.25 inch diameter base and a 1 inch height using a 50/50 cotton/rayon blend in a 50 g weight using a 4mm size hook. Since this project is just single crochet stitches, if you match the yarn to the recommended hook size for that yarn you will probably get the same tight weave. I don’t need a stiff basket for my little project, but if you want to stiffen your basket use liquid starch which can be found at most grocery stores. I assume you can find specific instructions on the internet. I have also seen larger baskets (which when larger can droop) stitched several inches higher on the sides than desired; then the excess is folded down over (like folding down a little girl’s socks) the sides to give it more structure. Have fun.

41. Sandra says:

I agree haven’t seen an answer for the twine or string she uses. Was going to ask the same question. Would like to know the brand and size of it. Hopefully she will get back to us soon.

42. Judith Hegewald says:

Hello. My question is, why aren’t you answering the above questions about type of yarn and needle size? These are basic questions.

43. nina says:

Hi, could you tell all of us what type of yarn, how needed and size hook. Thanks

44. nina gallerani says:

Hi, please let all of us know what type and how much yarn/string is needed (include brand). Also what size crochet hook. Do we need to starch? Thanks

45. Dianne says:

Hi, nice pattern thank you. I am going to make in a heavy pure wool which will make a larger basket.

46. Letty says:

I am making mine frome hemp twine using an I-9 5.5mm crotchet hook. It is very stiff to work with so your finger tips may be a little sore. My basket will be 6″ in diameter and about 3-4″ in hight.
    I also made one from jute twine using a size 6 crotchet hook that has a 5″ diameter.

47. Kathy Feicke says:

They look so nice but did I miss the size hook to use. Looks like a small one.

48. Gayle says:

Hi I would also like to know what size hook and twine for this project.