Mina Perhonen

Hello there – I am delighted to have been asked back again to guest blog on design sponge after contributing last year {thanks Grace!} and so I thought I would quickly introduce myself and give a bit of background as to what I will be posting about this week…

I’m Abigail Percy, a Designer Jeweler from Glasgow and trained at Glasgow School of Art. I have been running my small business since 2005, making and selling my jewelery and blogging about it, and now work from home. I share my small workshop with my boyfriend Ryan of DesireLines, who also designs and makes jewelery alongside his handbags.

Together, we are in the process of launching a textiles and home-wares company, which will debut later this year. We are working very hard on this at the moment and are hugely excited! With this in the forefront of my mind, I thought I would spend the week covering some of my favourite pattern designers. We feel that their careers have made a serious impact on pattern design as a whole, and their work has been a source of inspiration to us, as much as their business practices, or career paths, have been.

I am going to kick things off today by chatting about the brand Mina Perhonen.

CLICK HERE for the rest of Abigail’s post on Mina Perhonen after the jump!

Brainchild of Japanese designer Akira Minagawa, the company was launched as ‘Mina’ in 1995, and was later changed to ‘Mina Perhonen’ in 2003. The naive and stunningly whimsical designs created under the Mina Perhonen banner are not only used to form the basis for his fashion line, but more recently, have been used as interior and upholstery fabric. This transition has been seamless. Collaborations with Fritz Hansen and Kvadrat have further compounded his cult status and many a design blogger and design lover alike crave the day they might set foot in one of his stores!

Akira is also the creative director of Sally Scott, a design brand named after an imaginary girl!

During an beautiful exhibition of Japanese design in Le Bon Marche in Paris, I was lucky enough to see some Fritz Hansen/Perhonen chairs and items of clothing and accessories from his fashion range. The patterns are truly stunning, and seeing their true scale, along with the finish and dye quality of the textile, further heightened my love for his work.

Here are some of my favorite patterns from his range…you can view his entire collection right here.

Glimpses on his website into his stores interiors, where he sells his furniture and fashion lines, make them seem almost too good to be true! I love the rolls of fabric displayed almost like works of art, and seeing rows of chairs upholstered with the prints is really very pretty – these act as a perfect example of how his vision and art direction extends to every facet of his business…

In the world of Mina Perhonen, everything from his pattern design, to the cut of his clothes, his fashion shows, shop displays, marketing material and so on, is treated with tenderness and finesse. This level of thorough and complete branding across the board appears almost seamless and effortless, but anyone who runs a design business knows the reality would be anything but!

Bravo Akira, Bravo!

1. Andrea says:

Awesome post.
    I am a big fan of Abigail’s work. I can’t wait to see her patterns because her silhouettes are so perfect.
    I will be watching for the feature.

2. Andrea says:

Adore that wooden chair.

3. enhabiten says:

I’ve been a fan of mina perhonen for awhile! Good luck with your biz abigail:)

4. breeree says:

Mina Perhonen is the best! The shop photo is wonderful.

5. Marlene says:

As a pattern designer I’m so glad to see you are blogging about this topic and started with such amazing job. Thanks!

6. I’m intrigued! “Minä perhonen” means “I butterfly” in Finnish, and I was sure I was about to read of a new Finnish designer….what a surprise! These textiles are just gorgeous–now I’m going to pop over to their website and see if I can’t see more and find out the origins of that name!

7. Trish says:

Wonderful blog post Abigail, I thoroughly enjoyed it! I can’t tell you how excited I am for your textile and home-wares company – congratulations on your exciting new venture!

8. Jacqui says:

Wow, love it! I can already tell I’m going to love having Abigail as a guest blogger this week!

9. virginia-leigh says:

Where can you purchase this fabric?? I’m completely obsessed!

10. that chair with the yellow flowers… just wow!

11. Lia says:

oooo how beautiful are those fabrics…makes me drool over them…and comes my frantic search over them on the web :D

12. cynthia nge says:

Love the fabric of course but most of all the furniture… what great combination.

13. Dee says:

Where can you purchase this fabric in the US?? Please tell us! The website lists stockists who sell clothes but not textiles and doesn’t have further contact info.