in the kitchen with: lottie + doof

today i’m thrilled to have one of my favorite food bloggers joining us for a delicious summer recipe. tim mazurek runs lottie + doof, a fantastic blog that shares recipes that are both delicious to read about and eat. i’m thrilled to have him on d*s today with a delicious summer dessert recipe for blackberry napoleons and orange shortbread wafers. if you’re looking for an excuse to use seasonal summer berries, or just want to make something special for friday night dessert, look no further than tim’s sweet and easy recipe. thank you to tim for taking the time to share this with us, i hope you’ll enjoy his recipe!

about lottie + doof: lottie + doof is a food blog that was founded in 2008 by chicago-based artist (and baking enthusiast), tim mazurek. the site chronicles his kitchen adventures and highlights the importance of eating locally, seasonally and ethically. in addition to sharing recipes and personal stories, lottie + doof also highlights sources for good food and encourages others to get into their kitchens and cook! click here for more about lottie + doof and here for more on their name.

CLICK HERE for the full recipe (and more pictures) after the jump!

Blackberry Napoleons

2 tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon grated orange zest

Crème Fraîche

1 cup crème fraîche
1 tablespoon orange-blossom honey
1/4 teaspoon orange-flower water

To make cookies, using a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the butter and sugar until smooth and creamy. Add the vanilla and orange zest and mix well. Beat in the flour and salt until well combined. Form the dough into a disk, wrap in plastic, and chill for at least 3 hours or up to 3 days.

Preheat the oven to 300° F. Roll the dough between two pieces of parchment paper to 3/16 inch thick. Using a 3-inch round cookie cutter, cut the shortbread into 12 rounds and place them 1-inch apart on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper. (Do not reroll the scraps) Prick the shortbread with a fork or wooden skewer in a decorative pattern and bake until pale golden all over, 25-30 minutes. Cool completely on rack.

To prepare blackberries, in a small bowl, combine a quarter of the blackberries with sugar and let macerate for 10 minutes. Puree the mixture in a blender, then strain through a fine sieve, discarding the solids. In a large bowl, toss the remaining berries with the puree and orange zest and set aside.

To prepare the crème fraîche, using a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, combine the crème fraîche, honey and orange-flower water and beat until the cream holds soft peaks. Refrigerate for up to 2 hours.

Assemble the Napoleons as desired—be creative! Stack as high or low as you dare.

Claudia Fleming’s cookbook, The Last Course, is a must for anyone who likes to bake. It is difficult to find but is available on The North Fork Inn website:

About the recipe:

This napoleon recipe is adapted from one of my all-time favorite cookbooks, The Last Course, by the incomparable Claudia Fleming. Her recipes and approach to ingredients have taught me so much about baking. I love composed desserts like this which allow the home cook to play around a little and make them their own. The three components of this recipe, fresh blackberries, sweetened crème fraîche perfumed with orange flower water, and buttery orange shortbread cookies are each delicious. If you don’t want anything as formal as the napoleon, you can simply top a shortbread with a generous smear of the sweet crème fraîche and some blackberries. You could also make smaller versions of the cookies and serve a plate of them along-side some fresh fruit, or top a bowl of blackberries with some of the crème fraîche for an even simpler presentation. Whatever you decide to do, you’ll have an extremely delicious and elegant summertime treat.

1. mc says:

claudia fleming is my mom’s cousin! fabulous

2. Love Lottie + Doof ! Tim’s photos always make my stomach growl.

3. Melissa says:

WOW! I had to wipe the drool off the keyboard…

4. Niina says:

This looks insanely delicious. I think I have to go out for a pastry now.

5. Sam says:

Yummy – Gorgeous photos, delicious food, as usual. Lottie + Doof is one of my favorites!

6. Deidre says:

This looks out of this world DELICIOUS!!! Blackberries are so quintessentially summer and this is such a work of culinary art. Fantastic photographic work as well!

7. So simple. So spectacular. I want Some.

8. That looks so delicious! When blackberries hit my neighborhood’s farmer’s market, I definitely want to try this recipe. Thanks for sharing!

9. virginia says:

just visited his blog for the first time…loved the story behind the name, and his graham cracker recipe.

10. They look amazing – love the simple styling and the light and airy photography!

11. I love Lottie & Doof too. Tim’s photography always floors me.

12. jennie says:

Man! oh! man! Those look so great! I want to make them right now.

13. Thanks for the kind words, all. And thanks to Grace for her support!

14. G says:

Yum! Yum! Yum! Yummers!

15. Calvine says:

Oh these look delicious! And the shortbread cookies seem so easy to make..I will definitely be trying this recipe. And thanks for the pointer to Lottie + Doof – just added it to my blog reader :)

16. Caroline says:

Yeah Tim! Another gorgeous set of photos and a delicious recipe.

17. Alissa says:

Oooooo! Another use for those berries I picked last weekend at a berry farm. Yum!

18. Okay, so the dessert looks delicious…but I have a slight linen fetish, and so have to comment on the perfectly simple, green striped napkins. I adore them! I recently found them at Spring on Polk Street in San Francisco – they carried them in several colors. I bought them in several colors.

Thanks Tim!

19. That looks so delicious. YUM. I will definitely have to try it out! I think it would probably be equally good with Devonshire creme!

I actually visited your site today to thank you. It is because of you that I discovered the wonderful world of Etsy way back – ha ha – in May of 2007 when I saw a post where you shared some letterpressed owl cards by blackbirdpress. I have been in the community ever since and haven’t looked back. So…. THANK YOU so much for sharing!!!

20. Tartelette says:

Love Tim’s blog and picture! So good to see them here on Design*Sponge!

21. ingrid says:

I’m not crazy about baking cookies but love the creme fraiche filling and of course blackberries are always yummy. Thanks for sharing!

22. Jean says:

I love the colours of this dessert. I would most probably buy shortbread than to make them from scratch. Thanks for sharing this amazing post

23. sue clark says:

beautiful desert, lovely photography and sounds just delicious! can’t wait to try the shortbread wafers with other summer fruit too!

24. georgia says:

Hey Grace! Thanks for the insight on Lottie & Doof.

Their site is gorgeous and good to eat. Now firmly placed as a favorite in my tab bar-Ummmmmmm!

25. Janelle says:

These are making me hungry! And they’re SO pretty!!

26. Petalbelles says:

I followed a link from a Featured Sellers article on Etsy to design*sponge and I immediately subscribed to your blog based on these photographs and the recipie. I’m going to go wander around your blog now…

1. grace says:

thanks petalbelles- hope you enjoy it :)

27. Dorm Bedding says:

That sounds & looks so yummy – thanks for the recipe :)

28. Shelley says:

This looks amazing! I think I’ll pick some berries tomorrow & try this. Thank you for posting.

29. looks so good. i wish i had all these ingredients at home

30. Not only it looks delicious – I can’t resist berries – but also looks so pretty!

31. hipAholic says:

looks yummy! tastes probably yummy too!

32. Taylee says:

Gosh how can food simply be so good. Just looking at those images makes my stomach want food now. I can’t wait to make these treats. YUM

33. Elizah Leigh says:

Why can I never dream up phenomenal concoctions like this on my own? I just entered a recipe contest over at an online green social network ( and after seeing this post, I wish I could redo my entry. I wanted so badly to score their $250 Whole Foods Giftcard prize!! Alas, at least I can lick my wounds in front of a big bowl of blackberry napoleans. Lottie & Doof should enter this insanely divine recipe — here’s the link:

34. jen says:

These were amazing! Folks gasped after the first bite
    so easy, cool and different!

35. This looks delicious. The creme fraiche with orange blossom honey and water made my heart skip a beat.

36. cpdtops says:

I’ve been staring at this pic for over a week now, so i woke up early this a.m. and made the shortbread dough before work. Blackberry selection wasn’t great at the produce stand yesterday, so i’m trying it with blueberries tonight!

37. Dale says:

I made these last week and they were delicious. The shortbread seemed a little too salty to me– not sure if that’s a measuring mistake on my part or just a difference of taste. I didn’t read ahead and chilled the dough in a ball, which made it hard to roll out, so instead I rolled it into a log and cut slightly thicker cookies. I had leftover shortbread after the napoleons so i made almond gelato iced cream sandwiches. Delicious!

38. Candida Drew-Prior says:

Grace, you continue to amaze me with you wonderful blog. Food and design my favourite combination! Tim’s recipe is divine as are all the wonderful ones you have posted. I can’t wait to give them a go. Tho’ I am sometimes thwarted by the lack of the right ingredients here in Hong Kong, when I am back in my home in beautiful Dorset UK – I have better luck as it’s a foodie heaven! Thanks again d*s it’s rare that I find a blog so consistently pleasing and inspiring.

1. grace says:

thanks so much, candidad :)

39. Frannie says:

This is definately on my list to try.

40. Anne says:

Yummy! I will love to try it. Thank you!

41. Ilse says:

Me too! Sounds lovely, I can’t wait.