diy project: yevgeniya’s knitted buckwheat heating pad

[this diy project comes to us from d*s reader and blogger yevgeniya kurtsman of evaforeva. thanks for sharing with us, yevgeniya]

The only thing that makes me feel better when I have a cold is my buckwheat heating pad. I’ve been reading about buckwheat and its healing qualities and I was really surprised to learn how practical and salutary it is. Not only it is delicious and nutritious, when used in a heating pad it holds the heat (or cold) longer than any grain. It’s also very user friendly and least likely to burn when heated in the microwave. And here is a real stunner – buckwheat is hypoallergenic because apparently it’s a fruit and not a grain (what?). I personally love the smell of heated buckwheat but you can easily add couple of drops of your favorite fragrance oil. And I just recently discovered another way to use it when you are not in need of a heating pad – you can use it as a wrist pillow for when you use your computer mouse! – Yevgeniya

CLICK HERE for the full project after the jump!

Yevgeniya’s Knitted Buckwheat Heating Pad, from EvaForeva

You will need:
-hand knitted piece (optional, but if you do use it – only natural yarn like wool or cotton)
piece of fabric (preferably cotton) that is at least twice bigger than your knitted piece
-sewing machine
-needle and threads
-piece of paper

1. knit a cover piece; make it the shape you want your heating pad to be. place your hand knitted piece in a flat position and slightly stretch

2. cut your cotton into two exactly the same pieces so that they are slightly bigger than your knitted piece

3. take two cotton pieces and place the knitted piece in between like in the photo

4. sew around the edges making sure you get all three layers. leave an opening about 2” long

5. turn it inside out

6. make a little funnel out of paper and use it to fill up the sack with your precious buckwheat about half way so the sack is rather loose – this way it will take a shape of whatever you want to warm up easier

7. use blind stitch to close it up. you are done! now go put it in the microwave and heat it up for 1 minute, take it out and shake it up. then put it back in for another minute. don’t you love it?

1. Jamie says:

These things are also fabulous for freezing feet in winter. =)

2. I definitely need to make one of these. I think I’m going to use fabric from old t-shirts so it’s really nice and soft. Looks like I’m adding buckwheat to today’s shopping list!

3. Leigh says:

I have a heating pillow someone made for me filled with some sort of corn. I LOVE the heat, but not so much the smell. I’m definitely going to make one of these–the fragrance sounds much more appealing!

4. What a great gift idea. I know what I am making some people this christmas.

5. amy Harrison says:

I absolutely love this! I am always looking for ways to recycle my son’s out-grown and shot through clothing. I think one of his sweaters would be perfect for this! Thanks for the cool pattern.

6. Looks so easy, and thank you for making it so beautiful, too…love these!

7. lette says:

lovely project! i can’t wait to try it! thank you so much :-)

8. I had the exact same idea nothing but soap! it’s not even august and i’m thinking about christmas!!! what is wrong with me?! LoL!

9. Annisa says:

Fabulous, thank you! I just made one.. slightly modified (I didn’t use a knit piece and I added a little pillow cover). Plus I added a few essential oil drops (lavender and sandalwood). I’m gifting this one to my MIL. :)

10. Amiee Chambley says:

Great idea!! Making one for all my girls. I am going to put the first letter of thier name on the front… Thank you for sharing your great idea’s and please keep them coming:) lots of love from Alabama!!