Behind the Bar: Apothecary (Cardamom Rose Cocktail)

Pulling inspiration from “In the Kitchen With…” Alissa and I have created our very own column – “Behind the Bar.” For a little help with the first ever behind the bar, we visited a Philadelphia favorite – Apothecary. Apothecary is a Mecca for cocktail lovers who find comfort in knowing their drink is made with fresh & organic ingredients and combined to tasty perfection in combinations you never imagined. The ice is even specially made using a Japanese technique to remove impurities and unnecessary air pockets. This ensures your drink won’t taste like a Philadelphia water treatment plant or get watered down while you chat with the super-friendly bartenders. And much like an apothecary was carefully trained to blend healing formulas, these bartenders are the real deal – no summertime college students here.

Preston, the beverage manager at Apothecary, shared a light and refreshing summertime drink that you can easily make at home and is perfect for lazy, hot days sitting on the porch.

Cardamom Rose Cocktail:

1.5 oz of Hendrick’s gin (this is a rose & cucumber infused gin)
.75 oz of Rose syrup (make at home with rose water and simple syrup or buy locally)
.25 oz of Fresh lemon juice
.75 oz of Fresh grapefruit juice (ruby red preferably)
2 dashes of Peychauds bitters (Peychaud is credited with first creating the cocktail)
1 Cardamom Pod

1) Lightly muddle 1 cardamom pod at the bottom of shaker (not too much muddling or it will overpower the drink)
2) Add the rest of the ingredients
3) Add ice
4) Shake for 20 seconds
5) Strain over fresh ice to remove the cardamom pod
6) Add a splash of seltzer water
7) Garnish with rose petals or fresh lemon wedge (use organic if possible)

1. Renae says:

Beautiful pics! Thanks!

2. Carrie S. says:

LOVE the idea of a “Behind the Bar” series. Can this become a regular feature?!

Nice to see a cocktail featuring bitters; I just picked up some Fee Bros. rhubarb bitters a couple of weeks ago that are begging for experimentation…

1. grace says:

thanks carrie! we’ll look into this :)

3. Gillian says:

I’m with Carrie on this one, I love the idea of new drinks I can attempt at home! With the help of my bartending boyfriend, of course.

4. Eric says:

Wow! This is awesome!

5. Shanon says:

That drink looks delicious and beautiful!

6. Hitha says:

Fantastic! I wonder if they’ll divulge the recipe for their La Paloma. Can’t wait to see more!

7. Very intriguing. My husband loves Rose flavored things…I may need to make this for his birthday.

As an aside though, Philly’s tap water consistently exceeds all EPA standards for drinking water. We drink it straight from the tap and have no complaints!

1. grace says:

yay for city tap water! i love my nyc tap water ;)

8. Carrie S. says:

Grace – let me know if you need a taste tester! I’d be happy to sacrifice for the sake of your blog. Ha ha ha!

9. Lauren says:

That is the prettiest drink I ever did see. Ev-ah!

10. looks so refreshing! Gorgeous pink hue too…

11. Saving this one for Book Club! ;P

12. Liz says:

Perfect for lazing on the porch this weekend.
    I also vote for a regular “Behind the Bar” column!

13. karina mujica says:

love this web

14. Catherine says:

Oh, fantastic! Hendrick’s is my favourite gin but I never know what else to do with it bar adding tonic and a slice of cucumber (which is also excellent, by the way). This sounds really unusual, will definitely be giving it a try soon.

15. Jennifer Salazar says:

This looks fabulous! Can we get a link to the rose syrup recipe fixed please – I have rose water already…

1. grace says:

all fixed :)

16. kelly says:

I cannot BELIEVE how good this sounds! Cardamom is one of my all time favorite flavors, and I love rose too!

17. Beautiful bar ~ great recipe. ~Thanks!

18. AmyA says:

Love those bottle in the last pic. Where are they from? They’d look nice on the bar car that I plan to get after yesterdays post!

19. loverly!

I don’t like cocktails, in general, but I often make an exception for Apothecary’s. Their Christmas drinks were a delight. Also, very pretty.

20. elizabeth says:

Aside from the drink – I’m loving the carafe. Is that from the bar or Horne?

21. Alexandra says:

I would also enjoy this as a weekly feature! It would give us all great ideas for signature drinks at a future party. :)

This cocktail looks so amazing. I can’t wait to try it out.

1. grace says:

we’re on it :) kristina is working on a monthly bar column to supplement the kitchen recipes!

22. kate says:

I love hendricks!! so excited to try these. Look almost too pretty to drink :)

23. hey AmyA & elizabeth:

the carafe and the bottles were from Apothecary. we will try to source something similar and bring them in to HORNE :)

24. Christine H. says:

Hendricks is hands down the most delicious & my favorite gin—can’t wait to try this! And oh my word, a monthly bar column sounds amazing. I am looking forward to the next one already. :D

25. Roe says:

I love cardamon and am anxious to try the drink.

26. nath says:

oh, i’d like to be sipping one of these right now. this is a great idea for a new column.

27. Brie says:

love it! not only will the color of this drink match my home’s interior, it uses some of my most favorite ingredients.

28. Cindy says:

What a lovely drink. I can’t wait to try it!

29. DesignFirms says:

Great lighting. Products really stand out. Love the bar – looks like something I’d want for my own house! Now I’m getting thirsty!

30. Mika says:

As usual, what a gorgeous pictures! Cant’ wait for a nice occasion to make this drink for my girlfriends. Bye bye cosmopolitain, hello rose cocktail.

31. lemon tart says:

I’m lovin’ handcrafter beverages right now too, well always have. There unending inspirations out there. And sadly enough there’s also far too many bad drinks out there for far too much money. I recently started a bi weekly segment on my blog too on hand crafted drinks- alcoholic and non. Love the pics of that place though. Wow!

32. Kathleen says:

I finally made this drink last night; it was extremely pleasant and more subtle than I expected. It was a lovely and delicate balance of flavors, though next time I may increase the Hendricks to 2 oz.; I prefer drinks that emphasize the alcohol rather than submerge it.

33. Diana says:

After we went through the small Hendrick’s so quickly, we went to Costco for the giant economy size Soooo refreshing and a true melody of flavors on the tongue. I omitted the rose though…it seemed to overpower.

34. WayneAK says:

We will try it tonight! :)

35. CCline says:

This is lovely, but to confess, I feel I have to participate in a scavenger hunt, of sorts, to find these particular brands.

36. Angela says:

I made this on Sunday with a slight tweak, and I have to recommend it. I made a simple syrup flavored with rose water, cardamon powder, and saffron. It was HEAVEN with the saffron added in. Admittedly, the drink was more yellow than the pink in the photos. But it was hands down the best drink I’ve ever made.

37. Bels says:

In process of making the drink, made the rose syrup tonight (followed a recipe that said demarra sugar so my syrup is brown even though the picture was of a clear syrup but anyway learnt for next time) and going to get the grapefruit juice tomorrow (ruby preferably as listed) won’t this totally alter the colour of the drink from a pale pink??

38. Jorina says:

I love the idea of a rose-flavoured drink. I’m definitely going to experiment with that!

39. Jeffrey says:

Served these at my housewarming party. They were a hit!