before & after: lori’s painted floor

loribefore
i’m a sucker for painted floors, so this project from lori dunbar of fin and roe and marzipan inc is right up my alley. lori completed changed the floors by ripping up old carpet (and 5 other layers of flooring!) and exposing the original (albeit rather worn) wooden floors of her home. then lori designed a stencil on foam core and used it to create this bright white pattern on top of her newly painted sunshine yellow floors. and the best part? lori shares her how-to right here! thanks lori! and thanks to jan for the tip!

[have a before & after you’d like to share on d*s? just shoot me an email right here with your pictures]

lori5

CLICK HERE for process shots of lori’s project after the jump…

lori_2
lori_3
lori_4

1. Lori Shaneck says:

Great job! Can you come to my house and do this?

2. paola fusi says:

brilliant!!

3. tennisanyone says:

Love Love Love these floors!!!!!!!! You Rock!

4. Cookie Crawford says:

I love painted floors, too. But if I were to do mine again, I would use a primer on them. I thought because I was using an outdoor/patio paint, nothing would bleed through,…and nothing did until I put the varnish coat on top. This somehow made some color from the wood beneath leech through in patches…which is okay for my Maine Cottage look, but would NOT look good with this careful stencil pattern! So use a primer!

5. Nancy Travis says:

I now have the perfect floor solution for my daughter’s bathroom. The best part is that my husband liked it too! Any chance you know the yellow paint color? It is perfect! Awesome job!

6. nancy- just checking back in to see if there were any more questions and i see yours about the color. unfortunately i custom mixed it because i wasn’t happy with the initial color we picked. wish i could be of more help! if you’re really interested you can shoot me an e-mail and i can paint you a small swatch that you could take in and have color-matched. (lori @ marzipaninc . com)

7. candace says:

Stunning! I would love to try this, my husband and I acquired a 3 bedroom, cottage and all the floors, and staircase could benefit from this. Did you just make one large stencil and move it around the room, or did you cover the floor in stencils…not sure how you map it out?

8. Katie says:

Wow! This floor looks amazing! We just bought an older home with gorgeous wood floors. The kitchen has laminate that we are going to pull up. We think its pine. I would love to know how you handled the floor before you applied the paint. Did you have to do anything to the open joints between the boards?

9. Mary Anne says:

I absolutely love this floor!

10. dawn says:

We painted our hardwood floors, which are too thin to be sanded, solid white. I was very much a Rachel Ashwell shabby chic enthusiast and painted everything in whites. The floors looked GREAT for several years, but time took its toll. I felt the desire to redesign the whole house. I wondered if we could re-paint the floors, but was uninspired; difficult to handle being an artist. I couldn’t even think of a color, then I found Design*Sponge, and was flooded with amazing ideas! Thank you SO much for featuring these incredible projects, tips, and others’ comments! I believe that with the help of a brand-new friend, a professional designer, my floors will look great once again!

11. Mwest says:

The flooring design definitely made the room sunny and bright. Getting to the original floor was probably a challenging task but the outcome is definitely fulfilling. I’ve been wanting to do the same thing but I lack time. I instead hired a flooring Houston pro to do the job for me but hopefully I can do this with my children’s room next summer.

12. john apablasa says:

hi
    where do i find the foam board for a 12×12 room. the pattern i want t paint is intricate
    john

13. This is absolutely a job well done. Stencilling is really a great way to design our floors. It is just so easy and fun to do. Thank you for sharing this post.

14. Leti says:

Hoping someone can answer this question….
    For a high traffic hall way areas, What kind of paint was used? Latex? Acrylic? Deck? and what finish?

15. Robyn Porter says:

Where did you get your floor stencil?