before & after: brooke’s folding screen headboard

brookebefore
i am absolutely nuts about this makeover from brooke of playing grown up- mainly because i see screens like this on nyc streets all the time and never thought to do something like this with them. brooke won this lovely screen at an antiques auction and decided to get down to some serious sanding and painting. after a little elbow grease and hard work brooke had a shiny new headboard! throw in a cute puppy and i’m sold. great work, brooke!

[have a before & after project you’d like to share on d*s? just shoot me an email right here with your images]

brookeafter
brookeafter2

1. Catilin says:

Loving this headboard! Also loving the flowers about the board! what are these and did you make them too?! Great job!

2. Hollie says:

We have the same duvet! :)

3. alex sunday says:

clever! and great colour choice. and of course i just want to eat the puppy – too adorable!!

4. V says:

brilliant. the color makes the whole look. well, that and that cute DOG!
    I did something like this but used two twin size headboards that i got from housing works thrift shop auctions… two headboards side by side behind a king size works perfect… so love your blog.

5. Erin says:

i am totally in love this idea! i need to go find a screen, stat!

6. Lana says:

Just beautiful! The design and color are perfect!

7. Lisa says:

come on we all love the colour enough suspense what is it??!!

8. becca says:

Where are the font pillow-cases from?

1. grace says:

becca

i left a link to them in the comment section above :)

g

9. Bromeliad says:

Very pretty pattern on the headboard. Would look nice hanging in a window, too.

Our headboard is a sheesham wood folding screen we found on the street. One top piece was missing, so we just removed the other three.

10. I’m so buying those pillow cases.

11. Brooke Premo says:

Thanks for the encouragement everyone!! I really did have a good time doing this project.

BTW: Our little puppy is a Border Collie and they are the best dogs ever!

12. ita-darling says:

great item- but i think she should hang it for a more dramatic presence. half the screen is wasted behind the mattress… the tissue paper pom poms would look fantastic overlapping a taller headboard!

13. JC says:

Oh. Em. GEE. That little puppy is so cute, cocking his little head! Oh, and the headboard isn’t so shabby either. ;]

14. Sherri says:

OK I am pinching myself – because I used to OWN a screen identical to that one & I decided to sell it in a yardsale because I didn’t have room for it anymore & because it was broken in places but it was extremely windy that day and it got completely destroyed : (
    But OMG if I had even just thought about turning into a headboard – LOL then I would have had room for it !!!
    Anyway this is SO gorgeous
    REALLY wish I would have thought about it myself – LOL

15. Mia says:

This is so nice. I love the colors.
    I should try this, I don’t have a headboard.

16. Tania says:

So pretty….where did you get the flowers – I love them.

17. tiffany says:

wow, that is a really cool idea! i love the sunshiney yellow & the blue together. and those pillows are too cute, as well as the puppy! ;)

18. Karen says:

Beautiful! I have a wood screen (not nearly as gorgeous)
    that I want to do the same thing with…how did you mount it to the
    wall? Thanks!