vera neumann at anthropologie

yesterday i hopped on the subway and headed into the city to check out an exhibition of vera neumann‘s work at anthropologie in rockefeller center. vera: a new look is a beautiful exhibition that celebrates the life and work of designer and artist vera neumann. best known for her colorful silk scarves, neumann produced an incredible amount of work in her lifetime (over 20,000 scarves and 7,000 pieces of original artwork), some of which was on display at anthroplogie last night. while visiting the vera company in atlanta, anthropologie discovered stunning screens and drawings of vera’s and decided to showcase them in their store, along with a wall-full of her vivid scarves.

i really enjoyed seeing these black and white screens of vera’s work. even before they were realized in their final form, vera’s drawings are exuberant and her brush strokes have such a sense of energy and vitality. and when you add her sense of color on top of it all? unstoppable. i’ll be a vera fan for life and it was a real treat to see a collection of her work, and drawings, together like this.

inspired by vera’s designs, anthropologie recently launched a lovely collection of home goods and clothing based on original vera artwork. the design team created plates, cups, trays, skirts, blouses, bedding and dresses. the ‘we heart vera‘ series is now available online at anthropologie (the bedding is available at select stores)- you can see a sampling of it below, but you can also click here to shop the full collection online. it’s so nice to see a company going beyond using a classic designer’s work and actually recognizing, celebrating and honoring their talent.

there are many more pictures from the event below, so be sure to click “read more” below to see the full post. thanks to sara goodstein at anthropologie for letting me poke my head in a little early to grab some pictures!

1. amanda says:

oh this is fab!! I wish I was in the area to see it as well. Vera has always inspired me.

2. theLennoxx says:

That bed spread is gorgeous! What a talent..

3. caroline says:

i can’t wait to see this!

4. sandy says:

It was a privilege to be present on Thursday at Anthro to witness the tribute to a female icon of fashion and art and see Susan Seid who has given life again to “Vera”. We can look forward to a world of “color”

5. Ooh, I’ll have to hop on over to Anthropologie to check out the collection – so pretty :)

6. Joyce says:

Would anyone know where to purchase the beautiful silk Plumage lamp shade #860050?

Anthropologie use to carry it.

7. Trudy says:

I own some of her scarves and I love her designs. They’re so beautiful they’d be great as framed art. Her look is as fresh now as it was originally.

8. Thanks for posting about this–and letting us NY-ers know about it! I can’t wait to check it out.

9. PAULA SCHMITZ says:

i have a framed piece of art, perhaps a silk screen not sure. it is signed Vera with the classic vera signature, it is titled, Celebrate the Seasons of the Sun, it is diveded into 4 quqdrants with 4 different seasons of the sun

does anybody know anything about it

please e mail back to me

10. Crystal says:

where is that comforter set on the iorn bed from? i love it

11. Carol says:

I have just discovered my first Vera scarf in a local thrift shop! I paid .99 for it! I have enjoyed looking at your wonderful pics. Thanks!

12. amy says:

Oh my! Love this post. I love Vera with my heart. Her style and colors are so amazingly pretty. Can’t wait to see more from Anthro.

13. Hi,
    I´d like to know if Vera Neumann´s exhibition is still on.
    I´ll be in New York next week.
    Thank you.

14. I just adore Vera.
    I have kept and sold quite a few vintage Vera items over the years including tea towels, sheet sets, scarves, napkins and even a Mikasa bowl.
    But today I was able to purchase the lovely duvet. This will be a most cherished possession for many years to come!

15. Francie says:

I have Vera question…should I remove the laundary tag from the scarf I have? It sticks our of the triangular shaped scarf when worn. Will removing the tag take away from the value?

16. Dave Mc Gruddy says:

I had the pleasure of meeting Vera, she was a wonderful woman and a true icon. It’s nice to see her name live on.

17. Jacinta Ruth says:

I have a Vera question…
    I just obtained a Vera Scarf that is signed with just her name, Vera. It was done for F. Shumaker Co. and is from the Hattian Collection and is called Side Street.
    Any history on this would be appreciated and Thank You!

18. Isabelle says:

I have Vera bath towels. They are so pretty that I can hardly bear to use them…lovely violet and blue flowers and a great big Vera signature at the hem.

19. Ra says:

Thanks for this amazing post of Vera’s`works!

20. Andrea Thornley says:

Oh my god, I LOVE that bedding. I WANT.

21. mandy says:

I’ve scoured the internet but can’t find my skirt! It’s vera skirt, above the knee with sunflowers all over and her signature and lady bug, but I can’t find it anywhere! Any ideas? It couldn’t possibly be the only one, it has the size inside, so I’m sure plenty were made. I also wonder its worth. Very sweet and airy. It’s making me crazy, I’ve gone to all the sites and can’t even find one similar! Any ideas?