sweet idea: diy catalog of love

poetichome-perpetualanniversarygift
as a newlywed, and someone that generally likes giving sweet gifts for no reason at all, i love finding projects like this that appeal to my heart and my crafting hands. grace light of poetic home recently celebrated her two-year anniversary with her husband and decided to make him a gift by hand, rather than pick up something at the store.

catalog-of-love-repurposed-library-card-catalog
inspired by library catalog cards, she decided to replace the book numbers with important dates in their relationship, book titles with “chapters” of their life together, and publisher locations with places that are important to them. the best part? each year they plan to add memories to their library card box.

poetichome-catalogoflove
so if you have an anniversary (this would be perfect for the 1st- paper!), birthday, celebration or any other special day coming up- consider making your own diy gift for someone special like grace’s. this is definitely a gift they won’t be soon to forget. (and the website that generates custom library cards? awesome! click below to check it out)

CLICK HERE for the very short (sweet) project instructions after the jump! thanks so much to grace for sharing this with us!

Supplies:

-Box for holding cards (try Ebay for vintage card catalog boxes)
-Catalog cards (click here to make your own custom cards)
-List of important dates, places and times in your lives
-Computer printer and paper

Steps:

1. Create lists of special dates, events, moment, memories and places in you and your loved ones life.

2. Using this website, generate a custom card for each special memory. (How cool is this site??)

3. Print out each card and cut them out

4. Place them in your box and get ready to see your loved one smile…

1. Julie says:

One question, does anyone have any idea where to find a cool box like that?

2. myfriendlucy says:

what a beautiful idea!

Julie- I work for a publishing company and I found a couple of these old boxes in our archive /store room. you can probably find them on eBay too.

3. I’m loving this- not just as something to do for my husband/us, but also as a memory box for our 17 month old son. I kept a journal of his first year, and now I keep a wall calendar with notes of accomplishments and milestone moments. This would be so cool to give him when he was older.

4. Jennifer says:

Wonderful! Thanks for passing it along. I’m a librarian, and I’m getting married this November. This is an amazing starting point for a great wedding present for my fiance.

5. Zach says:

Oh my goodness! I don’t mind sounding all gay when I say, I love the idea! In this digital age, I might as well spend more time putting what’s left of my creativity into this project on our next anniversary. I am quite certain my fiance’ will love this! I can’t thank you enough!

6. Look what I found the day after reading this post! For all of you who need the box to start your project, here it is! Happy Anniversary, newlyweds!

7. Leah says:

I can’t get on the card catalog generator anymore. What happened?

8. Michele says:

This is a great idea. I am just finding this post today, but it’s so funny that my husband and I celebrated our 20th anniversay June 17th (the day of your post). Of course with so many significant dates over all those years, I need to begin now and hope to have it complete for our 25th anniversary! I think I will write some cards out by hand but use a similar format…and to who says it has to be a gift…I want it for me :)

9. Absolutely adorable… I mean… absolutely!!!!!!

Thank you so much for sharing this too cute project!!!

10. Kelly says:

just to ixnay the old, “i’m single, so it doesn’t apply” bummer mentality…I think it would be great to do for a long time friend of funny, sweet times over the years, etc. I think it would work beautifully for that too.!

11. Claudia says:

I just love, love, love this idea.

12. Elizabeth says:

How did you get the cards to print larger? I can’t seem to figure it out. many thanks.

13. Rachel :) says:

This is such a sweet gift, the kind of thing I generally tend to do for my friends anyway!
    If I ever meet Mr Right I would hope he would be the kind of guy who would appreciate me taking my time to do this for him :) thank YOU for sharing it with everyone!

14. Summer says:

I just finished making a “love catalog” for my husband for Christmas and I’d like to offer a tip to anyone who plans to do this. After printing the cards (I had 122!), instead of cutting them out individually, I took them to Staples and had the copy department cut them for me! I had one “card” per page, and it cost me $8.00! Easy! And awesome! Thank you for passing on this excellent gift idea!

15. Elana says:

Not being a really date-remembering kind of person myself, I think I may do the opposite and fill the catalog with big and little things we talk about doing together and dreams we have for the future. There could be a card for “Backpack Through Europe” “Learn French” and “Grow a Veggie Garden” and then a few things we’ve already accomplished like “Buy a House”… then I can fill in the dates and add cards as we go.

16. Victoria says:

I could totally see this as a recipe box as well….recipes for meals shared together, special restaurants, recipes for love, etc.

17. Julie says:

Hi, I am trying to print these cards but they do not come out the correct size. What is the best way to print these cards out to get the 3×5 size on a mac?

Thanks.. any help would be appreciated.

18. Maryam says:

I’m making one :) It’s so cool! He’ll love it I know :)

19. Georgi says:

Love this idea! Mine keep printing out really blurry, how do I fix that?

20. Tricia says:

I love this idea! I actually think not only would be great to use for a couple I also think it would be a really awesome thing to do for kids! I am going to pin it so that by time I have kids hopefully I remember to do this for them!

21. Sara Sanders says:

I am actually trying to use them as my seating arrangement for my wedding. How do you get them to print smaller and not in the ugly yellow color? Thanks for the help!!!

22. Sara Sanders says:

Also where did you find the paper for the cards?

23. Samantha says:

Hi where would you find the paper for these cards?