sneak peek: steven harrington

by

harrington1

for a long time now i’ve been a huge fan of illustrator steven harrington‘s work, so today i’m really excited the share a sneak peek into his california home. i especially love the way splashes of color specific to his work weave their way into his home. don’t miss more of his work right here, and click here to check out additional images of his home. [thanks so much, steven!] -anne

[above: This is my small Craftsman house located in South Pasadena, California. I live here with my brother John. Top-center is one of my favorite pieces drawn in graphite by Josh Petherick from Australia. Directly below are a couple of house ware pieces I created for Urban Outfitters and Nylon magazine. The ‘built-in’ bookshelves are also one of my favorites.]

harrington2

knit from my mom.

harrington3

Here’s an ‘in-progress’ studio shot. Spin Art makes me dizzy….

harrington4

Here are a couple of newly acquired screen prints from my friend Piet-Parra of Amsterdam. He just recently had a gallery show here in Los Angeles, was super epic.

harrington5
Here’s a cut-construction-paper piece created by Florencio Zavala, has been a radical trade. Along with this vintage album cover that Karla bought me for my birthday.

harrington6

Owls and pipes are two other things that I enjoy collecting. The top right pipe is an opium pipe and the top left pipe was personally bought by me from some tribes’ people in Thailand. All of the owls are from all over the world, the second one from the right is a wooden whistle that ‘Whoos’ when you blow into it. I keep trying to make it through the Hobbit collection….

harrington7

My brother John working hard on the porch. I love our porch, especially during the summer. It’s a little tropical ‘get-away’ especially after you have a couple of margaritas.

harrington8
Here’s an ‘in-progress’ studio shot. Spin Art makes me dizzy….

harrington9

Some cut-paper piles. Elements for old and new pieces….

harrington10

Here are some of my most prized posessions in the house— very rare reggae/Jamaican 45 singles. I try to keep them organized in these little vintage record boxes.

1. Loving the porch, the paper cut outs and the reggae singles. FUN!!

2. visualingual says:

What a great-looking home, and that porch is awesome! I’m so jealous; my fire escape doesn’t even come close.

3. lisa says:

i love all of the art in your house steven…and the owl collection makes me jealous! but my favorite is your porch…i feel bad for people who can’t sit outside in warm beautiful weather year round.

4. Mini says:

Steve, your house looks as amazing as your art! So inspiring and happy.

5. I love those paper cut out elements:) And the house is so fulled with colors and i love that there is a lotsa natural green be it the deco or the plants. So comfy

6. Mary says:

I love bright colors. This house has such a cheerful, artistic feel!

7. Jessica says:

Great screen print collection, wish i could see it all being a fellow collector. You porch looks like the perfect end to any day!

8. kelly says:

I’ve been a big fan of Steven Harrington for a while now, but I like him even more now that I know he collects reggae singles!

9. That porch! Love, love, love.

10. Meredith says:

I would love to get the pattern for the knitted wall piece that your Mom created. Where can I find?

11. Jen O says:

uh, hate to correct you, but the little wall piece isn’t knitted, it is macrame, a knotted technique that was very popular in the 70’s (and not too hard to learn, byw).

12. okay that porch has inspired me to go for it and make my deck into an oasis…oh yeah, and to have a margarita…thanks!

13. Love the owl collection. Looks authentic rather than trendy.

14. Eva says:

i recognise a ‘Smoking hot’-figure… that means i own a threadless tee with your print on it :D.

15. pimientoconalas says:

love the house, the objects, the colors, and that man!