sneak peek: office

by

jilloffice1
when jill robertson‘s sneak peek arrived in our inbox we were very impressed – so much so that there was really no point in editing down the images – we loved it all! we knew we loved office and all the work they do (especially their pirate-themed posters for 826 valencia), so it’s fun to see jill’s creativity and style translated into her home. she and her husband jason have  always loved the idea of classic san francisco victorian, and when they bought their 1887 home for it’s architectural details, they realized they aesthetic was more modern and clean. they’re still experimenting and consider it a work in progress making me wish my “work in progress” could look like this! you can find additional images, and larger versions right here[thanks, jill!] - anne

jilloffice2
Office designed the pirate posters for 826 Valencia’s Pirate Supply Store (available online) All proceeds fund the nonprofit organization’s writing programs.

jilloffice3
The rabbit painting is by Jason. (After 4 years, it still wasn’t finished … then he told me it’s supposed to look this way.)

jilloffice4
Jason created the spirograph posters, inspired a mid-century magazine cover.

jilloffice5

jilloffice6
We always wanted a library ladder in our house; we never thought it would end up in the bathroom.

jilloffice7
Jason designed this mosaic using Ann Sacks penny tile.

jilloffice8
Dining room. Jason and I spent our 8th wedding anniversary in Amsterdam and happened upon a typographer Ewald Spieker‘s charming little studio. We asked him to create these stacked letters of his typeface, which read “Yes You Are the One.” Riri poster (1948) designed by Hans Aeschbach.

jilloffice9
During this photoshoot, we noticed that there’s some sort of animal depicted in every room. In the kitchen, its a deer, owl, butterflies, birds and a crab. It wasn’t intentional, but I guess we like the personality they add.

jilloffice10
Sun room

jilloffice11
After a visit to the Viceroy Santa Monica, we created the pattern of mirrors to help open up the narrow hallway, and had the frames built out of different types of moulding. (Thanks, Kelly Wearstler.). The vintage chandelier is from a friend’s garage; we gave it a few coats of white spray paint. It’s a low-budget version of Tobias Wong’s much more beautiful white rubber-encased design.

jilloffice12
This is our foster dog, Elvis. (The fact that he works in our color palette was a happy coincidence.)

jilloffice13
We’ve collected dozens of books with covers designed by Dick Bruna, and we framed a few of our favorites.

jilloffice14

jilloffice16

jilloffice17
We painted the silhouettes, based on cut-outs of my sister and I as kids (from Worlds of Fun in Kansas City).

jilloffice18
Vintage 1960s Bally posters designed by Aunior.

1. Jocelyn says:

I’m surprised no one asked about the nameless blue painting! I recognize the artist from an old old copy of Juxtapose Magazine, but I can’t for the life of me remember the name! A little help?

2. zee says:

this is a weird question but i need to know, is that ‘the curious incident of the dog in the nightime’ in the shelf near the head of the bed? thanks :-)

3. nico says:

Wow, it’s amazing. And the shoe rack idea in the bathroom is great.

4. Sara Rivka says:

This is an amazing sneek peek, definately one of the best I’ve seen – so many amazing examples of great design and individuality.

5. Caitlin says:

beautiful home – great ideas!

6. marissa says:

love.love.love.
    i want to live there NOW

7. Jill says:

The painting is by Jim Houser — an artist from Philadelphia with an inspiring story. He’s one of our all-time favorites.

Bedside books are McSweeneys Quarterly (issue 13), a book of Truman Capote’s short stories, and Life with Picasso (that one’s there for the pretty cover.)

Sorry, Beck, our lives now revolve around Elvis — and he’s part of Office — so he’s not up for adoption. But I hope you add another dog to your family!

8. jinnie says:

I’m joining the Elvis fan club too!

This is my favorite sneak peek so far. I have a long narrow hallway, too, and I must try that mirror idea. Thanks for all the inspiration!

9. dharma says:

I love your dining table and chairs. Would you mind sharing your sources for those? We have a table from Room and Board ( Hancock) that we have had a hard time deciding on chairs.
    Your style has given me inspiration.

10. Dana says:

Perfect Home! Where was the bed purchased from?

11. Suzanne says:

Ahhhh Sweet perfection . So very serene.

12. Kate says:

What a beautiful home – I would LOVE to live here – the color palette is so soothing and the respect for the architecture of the original building shines through with the modern touches.

13. Missy says:

The tile mural is blowing my mind.

14. Jill says:

Bed and dining table are from IKEA several years ago (unfortunately, they don’t carry this table any more — we love it so much we wanted another).

Dining chairs are West Elm.

15. I love the Dick Bruna books( covers)

16. Hilary says:

Where’d you get your mirrored owls? Yum.

17. Regina says:

Jill,
    How did Jason create those large spirographs?

18. PS~Erin says:

Oh my! It is all so very pretty and cool, but I’m just so taken by the hall of mirrors. Such a neat look!

19. Jill says:

I noticed in the hallway they painted a chandelier white to replicate a designer one. A suggestion – Plastidip, cheap from any home improvement store can help achieve the look they were going for. it’s so much fun – you’ll be dipping everything including the dog.

20. jana Souza says:

It’s all so well done. the thing that has me the most impressed for some reason is the framing of the books from covers designed by Dick Bruna—well all of it, really. warm and comfortable.

21. velika says:

I think what truly makes this home out of reach for many of us women is the fact that the husband is a designer, too.

Unless there is a hidden, unphotographed room with an old leather recliner, exercise equipment, and college-days posters, Jill has a decorating advantage many of us can only dream of!

22. WOW! I am dying over all of the furniture….dying!

And the World’s of Fun siloheuttes? Genius! I am a KC native and totally remember the portraits you could have done. :)

23. lori says:

Wow! My home has very low self-esteem if THIS is a work in progress! I love it all, but especially all those great, iconic chairs in those rooms with so much character! And the awesome WOF reference, of course.

24. kristin says:

what a beautiful home. ours has such a similar color palette, but is like the ugly step sister to this one. I have a dark grey dining room, and have been trying to nail a color for the family room. ive got it now!! thank you soo much for sharing!

25. Melanie says:

What is the flooring in the room with the mosaic?
    I love it and would love to find it.

26. Lucy says:

Wow, this totally blew me away – completely perfect in every way, there is some serious envy going on now ;)

27. lmullock says:

That bathroom is AMAZING…I can’t get over those shelves.

28. Christina Viering says:

Love the design with the tiles in the bathroom. Love ALL the rooms, beautiful!

29. Carol says:

Wonderful contemporary design. So unique. May I ask the source of your bed/nightstand?

30. Heather says:

I love the rabbit painting! So original.

31. Sonia says:

great place! great color! and aaawww my god elvis its soooo lovely! :D great work with the penny tiles and the bathroom! i also want a library ladder in my place, even in the bath!

32. Amanda says:

I am curious where you got the library ladder. we have been looking but I really like this one- great place!

33. What are the colors of the hallway, the office or den, and the living room?

34. Kristen says:

Do you happen to remember the brand name & color on the walls of your sun room? Thanks so much, I LOVE your house!! So beautiful. :)

35. kimmi siren says:

Too safe and gooey for me.. Target-esque. I see why people addicted to HGTV and this web site would go for it though…they think this is Adventurous!!! LOL Nicest part- the foster pup! Hope Eivis got a great home. What I do appreciate is all the time, effort and no doubt frustration that went in to this home. Still- too staged for me to feel comfortable in.

36. mary says:

lovely place! do the frames with the books actually hold the entire books or just the covers? where are they from, I’d love to put up some lovely covers myself.
    thanks!

37. Angie van der Meer says:

What can I say, everybody else pretty much described what they loved already. All I can say is “I love every aspect of it”. A real GEM.